IRL Happenings | Page 7 | FerrariChat

IRL Happenings

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by GuyIncognito, Dec 18, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ZUL8TR

ZUL8TR Formula 3

Feb 12, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    Well, I guess we won't being seeing either of you post in an IndyCar thread for sometime since you don't like or follow the sport. Maybe in 2012?

2. ZUL8TR

ZUL8TR Formula 3

Feb 12, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    Just not an f1 fan. Tried, but can't do it. Problem I have with it is on several levels. First, whoever gets in front at T1 is the winner. They stretch out like a parade and pretty much stay that way for the entire race. Second, Bernie is a *******. The sport would do well to get rid of him. Third, the teams and drivers all have a attitude, they don't care about fans. Sorry, those guys aren't as great as they think they are. e.g. Seabass is sucking tailpipe so far this season. Finally, F1 doesn't care about the US market, so I don't care about them.

I understand folks pulling for the hometown driver. I get it. I would welcome the opportunity to pull for a hometown driver or for a driver that brings in some family history. e.g. Rahal or Andretti. When stock car racing started, it was grass roots good old boys racing each other for fun and bragging rights. Their family and friends were there pulling for them. As it grew, people pulled for their hometown drivers. This atmosphere has continued through until today.

Open wheel racing in the US has not had that same advantage. The Indy 500 has been here for 100 years, but what else has been consistent and well marketed? They are now trying real hard with IndyCar and I believe they are making progress with more to come. For now, we have more international drivers. They drive well and they mix with the fans. I like the atmosphere. So, I'm happy to pull for a foreign driver, several of which currently call Indy home, since they drive well. It is working for me.

3. brian.s

brian.s F1 Rookie
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 3, 2003
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Brian
    #153 brian.s, Apr 10, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Having stopped and watched some of the qualifying from BMS, I'm more convinced at how bad the series is off. The cars look and are slow (except at Indy), same two teams dominate and are expanding.

Unfortunately, I did give this guy his first job in racing........
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. Isobel

Isobel F1 World Champ

Jun 30, 2007
    On a Wave's Chicane
    Full Name:
    Is, Izzy for Australians
    Looking forward to the race and rooting for a few countrymen, Tagliani and Hinchcliffe ;)

5. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    I'll never stop posting about it. I always hold out hope it will improve, but this forum gives us the option of expressing our opinion. Otherwise, it wouldn't exist, right?

6. brian.s

brian.s F1 Rookie
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 3, 2003
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Brian
    And the Barber race was exciting? Hardly, not even.....

Now Malaysia on the other hand was! The IRL is to F1 as the Grand Bam is to ALMS.

7. Chris-CXC Simulations

Chris-CXC Simulations Formula Junior

Sep 20, 2009
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Chris Considine
    Really? I thought the race today at Barber was fantastic. I'm really starting to like those double wide restarts even.

8. Cornbread

Cornbread Formula Junior

Mar 21, 2009
    Bham/Maple Valley WA
    That's wishful thinking, as I hold out that it may become what it was in 1996 when the lucky sperm weasel had his hissy fit and killed the damn thing. I still follow and mock the crap we are left with, I just don't go to the races any more. I can nap at home.

Indeed.

9. ZUL8TR

ZUL8TR Formula 3

Feb 12, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    I'm with you. Barber is a beautiful course, but really lacks passing opportunities. I'm digging the 2-wide restarts. Works better when the drivers show a little more respect for one another. Really helped TK move up the field.

10. 4re Nut

4re Nut F1 World Champ

Mar 27, 2004
    N of NOLA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    #160 4re Nut, Apr 11, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2011
    Yep. I went to last year's race and it was pretty much zero passing and the race was rather boring. The support events, Grand-Am etc, were much better.

But it was well worth it to see Helio climb the fence; my super crappy cell phone video:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLm9Xf0R9T0[/ame]

I only watched a bit of yesterday's race (caught up in Masters Mania); from what I'm hearing it was better than last year. I hope to make next year's event.

For those that haven't visited Barber, I highly recommend it. A must see for car guys and heaven for motorcycle folks. Pics from my visit in '09: http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=262196

11. futureowner

futureowner Formula 3

Mar 24, 2006
    Brookfield, WI
    Full Name:
    Thad
    I'm really conflicted about these double file restarts. I think it is a bit gimmicky and the caution periods after caution periods does get to be very boring. That being said, they do add an excitement, I cannot deny that.

The big question is what the team owners think about it. Not a cheap proposition for them.

12. ZUL8TR

ZUL8TR Formula 3

Feb 12, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    RB told me that the owners wanted the double file restarts and the lucky dog. Luckily for us, they didn't get the lucky dog since the fans didn't want it.

The drivers just need to get the hang of it and all will be good. Its a learning curve. Imagine if you tossed in standing starts for them too!!!

13. rydermike

rydermike Formula Junior

Mar 27, 2010
    Spring Hill,FL
    Full Name:
    Mike Donohue
    I just don't understand why "proffessional" driver's have problems with doublr file restarts when guys on tracks from 1/4 mile to 5/8's whether asphalt or dirt,open and fendered cars do it every saturday night and make it work.It's all about knowing how much space you have available and knowing how to use it to your advantage and survival to the checkered flag.

14. Chris-CXC Simulations

Chris-CXC Simulations Formula Junior

Sep 20, 2009
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Chris Considine
    Exactly.... and they have always done rolling, double file starts. They just have to do more of them per race now.

15. TeamF1Jr

TeamF1Jr Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    Sad to hear that the body kits are likely not going to be used, at least for the first year of the new car. Car owners citing cost issues. So although its a new Dallara next year, its all the same look once again. The fans being po'd over this is a easily take their side. This is not what we signed up for. Randy Bernard is now in a pickle, piss off the fans or the owners.

16. ZUL8TR

ZUL8TR Formula 3

Feb 12, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    Its my opinion that for 2012, let them "run what they brung". If that means a team wants to stick with only 1 aero kit, fine. If they want 2, fine. But, by 2013, they better be on board with the program and no more stalling.

Additionally, if a team decides to stick only with the one Dallara aero kit and they get dominated by other teams with multi/other options, no whining allowed.

17. 4re Nut

4re Nut F1 World Champ

Mar 27, 2004
    N of NOLA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    http://www.usatoday.com/sports/motor/indycar/2011-05-05-Scott-Speed-to-run-Indy-500_N.htm

18. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
  19. 4re Nut

4re Nut F1 World Champ

Mar 27, 2004
    N of NOLA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Every Hoe these days has a Pin in her Tongue. :D