IRL Happenings | Page 6 | FerrariChat

IRL Happenings

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by GuyIncognito, Dec 18, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Funny, AA let's the only driver on the team who has
    the ability to set up a car go.

Then, according to a well placed source, AA scooped
    DHL sponsorship out from under de Ferran Dragon
    in favor of Ryan Hunter Reay's car.

Sounds like the makings of a lot of stick between
    Kanaan and AA.

Good luck to AA, looks like they're going to need it
    this year.

BHW

2. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    yeah, according to Fchat there's only two types of racing, F1 and Ferrari Challenge :eek: :(

anyway, unfortunately it sounds like Marco is taking after his dad. maybe he should be spending more time around grandpa Mario...

good for TK for taking the high road, more or less :p

3. ZUL8TR

ZUL8TR Formula 3

Feb 12, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    I'm not so sure about TK taking the high road. He never denied what Marco said. He also implied that there is no love lost between he and AA.

4. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    TK could have been much, much nastier.

5. BigWilly

BigWilly Formula Junior

Jun 15, 2009
    #130 BigWilly, Mar 25, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2011
    TK is a good driver...and given Marco's public crying the better PR person. Why would you hire a spoiled brat like him or Danica? They will be hard pressed to win anything.
    Marco is truly a *****. He should be driving with Danica as the passenger in that two seated car. Isn't there a PMS medication that could bring some more cash to that team?
    To be honest if his name was Marco XXX would he even have the opportunity?
    ...be honest.

I am just as frustrated as the rest of America that we can't produce more than a couple of silver spoon fed momma's boys.

Those old heads that raced when it was a tough man sport hate what they see now. I know. I've spoken to them.

Let's face it America, The only things besides some cash that AA has to add is the legacy of the greatest American driver ever...Mario. unfortunately his offspring all together will never be half as good as him.

Isn't it time for us to support winners, not wieners?

6. futureowner

futureowner Formula 3

Mar 24, 2006
    Brookfield, WI
    Full Name:
    Thad
    Really, REALLY can't stand Marco. Here's a guy who really hasn't accomplished anything other than being born, yes he won an IRL race where he was actually getting caught up pretty quick, then Bryan Herta happens to spin all by himself, thus bringing out a yellow and allowing Marco to win the race. Now that could all be a coincidence, but that is one heck of a coincidence. Let's not forget to that he had some pretty solid equipment as well.

He did win coming up but once he got to the IRL he has only one more win than I do. Couple that with his attitude and it really makes for an unappealing driver imo.

Funny I seem to remember TK driving all 4 team cars at Indy to set them up, maybe he didn't talk to Marco because he got sick of dealing with him.

7. ZUL8TR

ZUL8TR Formula 3

Feb 12, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    We were at St Pete back in 2005 when Marco won the Indy Lights race, then Team Andretti swept the IRL race 1-2-3. the following year, Marco graduated to IRL. I really wanted to be a Marco fan. I thought it would be great to be able to talk about an Andretti doing well. Also liked the idea of 2 generations racing against one another.

But, then the interviews started coming. The whining. The self-entitlement. The everyone is supposed to help me...its all about me...I'm an Andretti. During one race just after Danica had annouced she would be moving to AGR the next year, Marco was whining about why she wasn't helping him win. HUH!?!

Like I said, I really wanted to be a Marco fan, but I have to be able to look myself in the mirror every day.

Back when TK renewed with AA, I thought it was a really bad idea. I wonder where he'd be today if we could go back in time and let him make a different decision?

8. ZUL8TR

ZUL8TR Formula 3

Feb 12, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    Now THAT would have been really interesting. We need some drama happening. THere is no way all the IRL drivers are buddy-buddy. What's really going on? Inquiring minds want to know, or see it play out at the tracks.

9. BigWilly

BigWilly Formula Junior

Jun 15, 2009
    Save the drama for Jerry Springer. A good solid Race would be a great start.

Let's build a solid product and take it to market. This series growing as they go along is detering fans and breeding more doaght in fans and investors alike. proceeding in the direction they are, keeps creating these hurdles down the road. With this series short on resources it becomes less and less sustainable let alone becoming a stronger series.
    ( sounds a bit like our economy over the past few years.)

10. ZUL8TR

ZUL8TR Formula 3

Feb 12, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    Davey Hamilton has landed a 3 race ride with DRR for Indy, Texas and Vegas.

11. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Does Ryan have a seat this year? He was my instructor once and is truly one of the nice ones.

Dale

12. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    he's driving for Andretti Autosport

13. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Yes, RHR has a full time ride with Andretti Autosport
    with DHL sponsorship.

Agreed, RHR is one of the nice guys having met him
    originally when he drove at Sebring with JMB Racing
    USA in a beautiful black Ferrari 360GT and later in
    Champ Cars at media events at St. Petersburg.

BHW

14. Isobel

Isobel F1 World Champ

Jun 30, 2007
    On a Wave's Chicane
    Full Name:
    Is, Izzy for Australians
    Nice to have Seabass return (partially) and I'm hoping Charlie impresses at Ganassi/NN.

15. ZUL8TR

ZUL8TR Formula 3

Feb 12, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    He made a stupid mistake at the same time when Saavedra a stupid mistake. Not smart to be looking down and fiddling with your controls at pit-out. Then combined with Saavedra misunderstanding communications that said, "One more", which he understood to mean "one more chance to get a fast lap" and floored it out of the pits, which was followed by Seabass running into Saavedra. Saavedra has apologized to Seabass for his error.

Luckily Saavedra had a second pod onsite. Crews worked all night to swap parts. Honda believes the engine survived the crash.

Pole: Will Power!

16. 4re Nut

4re Nut F1 World Champ

Mar 27, 2004
    N of NOLA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/90449

17. TeamF1Jr

TeamF1Jr Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    Tracy pretty much ripped apart the current IRL drivers on his twitter account during the last race. He respects the old guard, but not the new guard. Welcome back PT "The Chrome Horn".

18. Whisky

Whisky Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2006
    Upper Great Plains
    Full Name:
    The original Fernando
    Open wheel racing on asphalt in America has never been more irrelevant than it is today.

I'd take nascar or WOO sprint cars over *ANY* IRL race, and as a die-hard old guard, it SHOULD make me sick to say that, but it doesn't.

19. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    sadly you share that opinion with a lot of people.

you, like me, are open wheel guys from the midwest...we SHOULD be life-long, die hard fans. you aren't. what would it take to get you back?

20. Whisky

Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2006
    Upper Great Plains
    Full Name:
    The original Fernando
    Mainly American drivers in a choice of more chassis, not the IROC IRL series that exists now. I cannot name you three American drivers. (not counting Danica or that untalented Marco clown)

Belief that the racing is the most important thing, not the egos of guys that run the series, the promoters or the team owners.

Sadly, the most important race at Indianapolis Motor Speedway is NOT an open-wheel race.

You cannot fix it, it is beyond repair, it will never go back.

21. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    there are seven American drivers (including Danica and Marco). http://indycar.com/drivers/ but, point taken...they aren't front runners for the most part (although RHR finally has a good car, and Graham Rahal should be a front runner).

next year there will be chassis/engine choices, hopefully that goes a long way towards improving the show. right now it's a parade b/c the difference between good and bad spec cars is so small.

I do think it can be fixed, but it will take a long time....10-15 years.

22. Cornbread

Cornbread Formula Junior

Mar 21, 2009
    Bham/Maple Valley WA
    When they ditch the crapwagons(next year thank god), and Brian barnfart as well as FTG have nothing to do with the sport, I will attened my 147th American open wheel race.

The last race I attened was Champ cars last at LB, and there will not be another until the above three are out of the picture.

23. ZUL8TR

ZUL8TR Formula 3

Feb 12, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    IndyCar is making changes. It cannot happen overnight. So far, I'm pretty pleased with what I see happening.

I do agree on the need for a solid, safe tub to keep the drivers safe. I like that there will be multiple aero packages. I like the possibilities for multiple engines.

I could care less if a driver is from the US, Spain, Brazil, or Timbuktu. Its all about watching talented drivers race. Its also about drivers that connect with the fans. Indycar does that, that is what built NASCAR to what it is today. IF F1 wasn't so arrogant, it would take a clue from those two series so it could increase it's fan base, but I digress..

I look forward to seeing how the changes for 2012 play out. In the meantime, I'll be watching every moment of the 2011 season.

24. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    This.

25. Whisky

Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2006
    Upper Great Plains
    Full Name:
    The original Fernando
    #150 Whisky, Apr 9, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2011
    There was quite a candid discussion on sports radio a couple of weeks ago, it covered the whole gamut, from all of amateur sports, to college and pro sports.
    'Everyone' wants it to go back in time 40 years, but MONEY dictates that will never happen, on any level, ever again.

40 years ago you didn't have 4 yr olds in sports academies, 10 yr olds in traveling programs, college kids actually went to school to learn something, and pros were just happy to get paid to play a game. Big TV contracts with networks did not exist.

You sponsored a car because you loved the sport and you took a personal interest in it (Andy Granatelli, AJ Watson, etc.) today it is corporate america looking at viewership numbers.

Sports will never ever go anywhere close to being back to the roots. It can't even if it wanted to.

I don't disagree on the safety aspects of tubs, etc. and all other safety improvements.

I also think if you want to see a bunch of foreign drivers in Indy racing, maybe you should just take up F1???? I'm not trying to be a cultural pig, but folks used to root for guys from their area, like Houston, Alberquerque (sp?), Tinley Park, Phoenix, North Tonawanda, Parsippany, Redondo Beach, Santa Ana, Wichita Falls, Kansas City and so on.
    Today that only happens in nascar, and I think that is one big reason it is MUCH more popular than Indy cars. And I could be totally wrong.