Ipod Connection in a 599... | FerrariChat

Ipod Connection in a 599...

Discussion in '612/599' started by 1445111, Oct 26, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 1445111

1445111 Karting

Jan 10, 2008
    Switzerland /Poland
    Full Name:
    Hape
    I have a new 599 HGTE coming in a few weeks. I ordered it with an Ipod connection thinking of using it with my Iphone, however I recently read somewhere that the Iphone doesn't work with the ipod connection. Can someone on this forum confirm this and advice what models of the ipods (if not all) works with the ipod connection in the 599.

Thanks on advance.

//Hape

2. The Ape

The Ape Formula 3

Feb 28, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Ape
    Congrats on your HGTE. Mine will be hear within three weeks. I have custom iPod systems in al my cars and IPhones just don't work.

3. 1445111

1445111 Karting

Jan 10, 2008
    Switzerland /Poland
    Full Name:
    Hape
    Hi Ape,

Thanks!. Mine is scheduled for delivery on 18 November but my dealer came with the idea to deliver it to me during the Ferrari World Finals in Valencia next month (12-15 Nov.) so he is pushing hard to have the car trucked from Maranello on the 11 November to make it to Valencia on time... :)

so, all other ipods (shuffle, NANO etc.) works fine?

//Hape

4. M-individual

M-individual F1 Rookie

Oct 5, 2007
    GTO, 458C, GT3RS
    Congrats. Delivering your car in Valencia will be nice. I have mine delivered in the atelier on November 6th. Guess we are 3 lucky kids.

With regards to the iPhone: my dealer tells me it won't work. All other iPods shouldn't be a problem.

5. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    I Phones will work in any car. Simply wire a male headphone plug on one end into aux in of your audio system.

6. M-individual

M-individual F1 Rookie

Oct 5, 2007
    GTO, 458C, GT3RS
    Thanks for the advice Jim. I'll certainly try this.

7. Sareve

Sareve F1 Rookie

Oct 23, 2007
    Singapore/Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    My iPod connector's a little spotty, sometimes the playback skips a little. Maybe it's just cause my plug's loose or something.

8. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    #8 Napolis, Oct 26, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2009
    That's what we did in P 4/5. If you can also put factory system on your shelf and replace it with this one for about $130. which is much easier to use and IMO sounds better.

I use this one in several cars and an i phone plugs right in.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260467811055

Here's one for $108.

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?sourceid=navclient&rlz=1T4GGLL_en&q=Sony+CDX-GT630UI&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=11610147057184302470&ei=otDlSt_3MI3mlAeO-N3oCg&sa=X&oi=product_catalog_result&ct=result&resnum=4&ved=0CBsQ8wIwAw#ps-sellers

9. 720EC

720EC Karting

Dec 24, 2004
    New York & OC
    Full Name:
    Scuderia
    Mine works. The Ipod connection is located in the passenger glovebox, all you have to do is connect it to your Iphone and control the selections from the audio unit located on the center console.

10. M-individual

M-individual F1 Rookie

Oct 5, 2007
    GTO, 458C, GT3RS
    Interesting. I guess I'll just plug in the iPhone and see what happens. If it doesn't work, I'll go with Jim's advice. Either way, V12 symphony is always nice to listen to.

11. 1445111

1445111 Karting

Jan 10, 2008
    Switzerland /Poland
    Full Name:
    Hape
    Yes, interesting, I'll do the same and see what is happening. On my wifes GranTurismo S it doesnt work at all. What happens is that the music starts and run for 2-3 seconds and then stops and the system switches to radio or CD mode.

Thanks for your advice Jim.

//Hape

12. Sfumato

Sfumato F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Llanfairpwllgwyngyll, Anglesey, Wales
    Full Name:
    Angus Podgorney
    Mine works fine in 599. Has since day one.

Bluetooth is great too. Set up the voice call accept too, without the damn bells. Dealer should do it for you.

Voice commands are helpful, but clunky to set up.

CF card for music can slide in behind L hand radio knob, whole thing comes off. 4Gb is about all she'll take. Playlists are hard to set up on CF cards, or at least with iTunes. Manual says they used Winamp, but I've not had much success there either.

Enjoy it.

13. FJerry

FJerry Formula Junior

Dec 1, 2004
    United States
    #13 FJerry, Oct 26, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2009
    Jims method is terrific if you want to install an aftermarket system.

If you want to keep it stock, then here is what I think:

You should reset the ipod. Get the car started and the radio going for a minute and then plug in the ipod. You may have to use the "Load ipod" selection from the menu.

It should work.

The iphone will work fine. The issue is recharging. The older ipods recharged over firewire which was a higher voltage. The newer ipods and iPhone use USB charging which is a lower voltage. When you try to plug in the iPhone to the older interface in the Ferrari, the ipod will say this accessory is not compatible. You should be able to use the iPod functions and bluetooth too of the iPhone but the iPhones power source will be its battery.

Ive found this Scoshe passport adapter that solves the problem:

http://www.amazon.com/Scosche-passPORT-Charging-Adapter-iPhone/dp/B001HN6CVA/ref=pd_bxgy_e_img_b

The Scosche passPORT USB charging adapter allows accessories that do not support USB charging to work with iPod and iPhone.
    Firewire-to-USB Charging Pass-Through
    If you have an older iPod interface in your car, battery backup system, or similar product, you might find that charging is not supported with your new iPod. The Scosche passPORT solves that problem with Firewire-to-USB charging capabilities, providing a 12V to 5V solution for iPod nano 4G, iPod touch 2G, and iPhone 3G.

Using passPORT is simple:

Plug the dock connector into the female side of the passPORT.
    Plug the passPORT adapter into your iPod or iPhone.
    Select a song from your iPod or iPhone and begin enjoying your music while charging
    Great for Vehicle iPod Accessories
    The passPORT is perfect for older car integration accessories that don't support charging for the iPhone 3G and iPod models released in September 2008 or later. The passPORT is compatible with: several aftermarket head-units as well as Acura, Audi, Aston Martin, Bentley, BMW, Chevrolet, Chrysler, Dodge, Ferrari, Ford, Honda, Hummer, Hyundai, Infiniti, Jaguar, Jeep, Lexus, Lincoln, Mazda, Mercedes Benz, Mercury, Mini Cooper, Mitsubishi, Nissan, Pontiac, Porsche, Rolls Royce, Saab, Saturn, Scion, Suzuki, Toyota, Volvo, and VW. (Not compatible with select Pioneer head-units that use the CD-iB100 or CD-i200 iPod to IP-Bus adapter.)

One other thing- the sound quality on the 599 stereo is pretty bad especially if you cannot access the EQ. The ability to access the EQ is off on some of these cars for a reason I do not know. If its off someone here a long time ago pointed out to me a way to turn the EQ on. My settings are below. I might have tweaked them since then- but basically I am pleased with the resulting sound. Its not audiophile but its not terrible either.

On the radio, if you push the 2 buttons above the 2 knobs along with the lower right button below the right knob all at the same time then this will put you into a hidden menu and you can select the bose option and then you need your radio code and you enter it this will then allow you to access in the sound menu an equalizer that has preset curves and 4 user setable curves.... Not bass + treble but better....

Here are my settings. I kid you not that the sound went from Alex Grahm Bell tin cans with taught string to pretty darn good! You can still hear the limits of the system (small speakers with smallish sub) but its now listenable. Note I have turned off the eq on my ipod.

599 Stereo Settings:
    EQ:
    50hz: +8
    200hz: +6
    700hz: 0
    2.7khz: +1
    10khz:+1

Balance & Fader: 0
    Loudness: off
    Ferrari Surround: On, medium size vehicle. Larger vehicle makes the sound more echoey but I dont hear any advantage and the echo is annoying
    Subwoofer: +10

Crossovers:
    Front & rear: off- this basically sends all the bass to the sub where it needs to be in this setup. Any other setting restricts the bass output of the system. In a car you want it to sound very heavy when sitting still because when you move a lot of it will evaporate.

Subwoofer crossover: 150hz

compression: off

Hope this helps.

In my car, I prefer to use the iphones interface for selecting people since the phone book does not sync to the cars head unit. So I use an older ipod (doesnt need the above power adapter) I keep near the car- if the car is going to sit for more than a few days I take the ipod out and plug it into a power charger so it will keep its charge. I have a separate lighter adapter for my iphone. I don't generally talk and drive but sometimes its helpful to have the capability.

14. Sfumato

Sfumato F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Llanfairpwllgwyngyll, Anglesey, Wales
    Full Name:
    Angus Podgorney
    My damn iPods don't charge when plugged into the glovebox. I asked dealer, they didn't think they would. Do they?

15. Ferrarista3

Ferrarista3 F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2007
    MC/UK
    Full Name:
    Carlo
    I've never seen a setup where an iPod/iPhone both plays AND is charged. It would be too good to be true :rolleyes:

16. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    My iPhone plays and charges in my Audi using an aftermarket setup.

My iPhone 3GS used to play in the 612 but not charge, but last time I tried it (after doing a software update on the iPhone), it wouldn't play at all. The first generation iPhone both played and charged in the 612.

17. FJerry

FJerry Formula Junior

Dec 1, 2004
    United States
    It should play and be charged. The ipod connector has connections for power and audio. Btw- it has connections for both analog and digital audio- nearly everyone uses the analog. there are a few high end products that grab the digital.

18. scooter48

scooter48 Karting

Apr 19, 2006
  19. Hawkeye

Hawkeye F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2009
    Your iPhone will work with the bluetooth system but it will not work (as a phone) with the iPod connector in the glove box. However, you can connect your iPhone and use it as an iPod if you have songs downloaded to your phone through this same connector. Additionally, this connector does not charge either device, it's simply a high quality audio cable.

Chad

20. Samimi

Samimi Formula 3

Oct 17, 2005
    North of the 49th
    Full Name:
    S.
    Also works in BMW.

21. 1445111

1445111 Karting

Jan 10, 2008
    Switzerland /Poland
    Full Name:
    Hape
    Chad - What do you mean with "if you have songs downloaded to your phone through this same connector"?

//Hape

22. FJerry

FJerry Formula Junior

Dec 1, 2004
    United States
    I think he means its the same kind of connector you use with your computer to transfer songs.

Whether its high quality or not is open for debate :)

Ive had my older iphone work just fine both as a phone (bluetooth) and ipod (connector) while plugged into the glovebox connector. The new one should work with the converter I posted up there.

23. Hawkeye

Hawkeye F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2009
    If you have downloaded music to your iPhone, you can use the iPod feature on the phone to connect to this cable. In other words, the iPhone and iPod have the same connector, and this is the connector in the glove box of the 599. Unfortunately, this cable does not charge either device. Another frustrating point is that if you shut the car off and start it again, you have to unplug the device and plug it back in to get to work again. If you're driving alone that is really tough because it's quite a reach from the driver seat.

24. FJerry

FJerry Formula Junior

Dec 1, 2004
    United States
    It really should charge the iphone and the ipod. It has done so for me- 2007 build 599. heres a workaround on unplugging the ipod before turning off the car- switch to the radio input- this pauses the ipod- and when you turn the car on wait a few seconds before selecting the media input for the ipod.

25. 720EC

720EC Karting

Dec 24, 2004
    New York & OC
    Full Name:
    Scuderia
    +1
    Mine charges as well, also you don't need to reconnect the iPhone when you restart the car... Just go to the menu on your radio and select the media input for the iPod/iPhone as FJerry indicated.