Investment grade cars | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Investment grade cars

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by WILLIAM H, Apr 25, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jdahlstrom

Jdahlstrom Formula 3

Feb 28, 2005
    Miami, Fl
    Full Name:
    Josh Dahlstrom
    I am not sure how much it will appreciate but the terminator cobras (03-04) have held their value pretty well especially for low mile unmolested ones.

2. xs10shl

xs10shl Formula 3

Dec 17, 2003
    San Francisco
    Just based on what I've seen, almost nothing less than 30 years old is going to appreciate much beyond the carrying cost, if at all. Of cars less than 10 years old in the $250K price class, Ford GT is on everyone's short list for "most likely to appreciate".

The price bubble seems to be centered on cars from the late 50s to late 60s, but I would also not buy-and-hold something from that era at current price levels. These days, it is best to flip.

3. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
  4. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Series 1 E-Type FHC are a bargain - STILL. Not as much as they were, but good discount off the OTS, and can be had in great condition for relatively cheap.

Got mine under $20K, put about $10K of work into it, car is probably worth $50-55K now.

5. bmwracer

bmwracer Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2004
    Toronto
    M1 is a no brainer, only 400 street cars produced, maybe 50 gone. Following the footsteps of the 507, it will probably be the next BMW on it's way to the 1mill mark, just a matter of when.There are very few cars for sale and even fewer good ones.

I also believe the 930 slantnose, obviously the real 505 cars, especially the 89 which is the only year it came with the g50 5 speed.

6. JeremyJon

JeremyJon F1 Veteran

Jul 28, 2010
    Calgary, Canada
    along this line of topic, will the vintage Ferrari's loos some value with the next generation(s)?

I thin about this, because these kids are not car-centric minded in the same way our generations have been, and not the same enthusiasts ..also, because society is more 'consumer' driven than ever, "new is better" ....there of course will be the pinnacle Ferrari cars that do, but otherwise I can't see many of the high priced cars maintaining $

the BMW M1 is a great classic IMO agreed

it's difficult to really speculate, so much of the car enthusiast world is changing, and will more yet

7. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Not much to fault there, but change the BBi to BB, and make sure the E Type is pre-68.

8. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
  9. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Miura's will continue to rise for the forseeable future
    Why? Stare at one again

288 GTO's as well

10. jgoodman

jgoodman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 29, 2009
    Central PA
    Full Name:
    Jay Goodman
    #35 jgoodman, May 2, 2013
    Last edited: May 2, 2013
    Agree with the Miura and 288 GTO. Add the Countach to the list of eye-candy investment grade supercars. Way undervalued IMHO. Classic design even 20-30+ years later. Mine just won a local Best in Show car event with 150 exotics. To this day, people are still captivated by its looks. I cannot even begin to tell you how many dozens of people checked her out on Saturday. But at the end of the day, it's very hard to look at any of these exotics as investments. It seems they all can consume tons of money very very quickly.

11. BULL RUN

BULL RUN Formula 3

Dec 18, 2004
    Maybe not right now, but Muscle cars will start dieing as boomers have to unload them to pay for their astronomical heath care costs. I don't believe the next generation will have nearly the same fascination.

PS. Cars are a lousy investment.

12. XR4Tim

XR4Tim Formula 3

Jun 1, 2005
    Medina, OH
    I agree with the M1. I disagree with the 959. There was a quick spike in prices when Canepa began legalizing them, but they are not going to go up much more. Carrera GT I don't think will go up much either, but I don't think it will drop in price either. GT3 RS 4.0 would have been a good buy new, and still might if you can find a deal. On the lower end, I think the '89 Pontiac Turbo Trans Am can only go up in value if you find a nice one.

13. XR4Tim

XR4Tim Formula 3

Jun 1, 2005
    Medina, OH
    I'd also like to add that I think Dino GT4s are currently very undervalued.

14. XR4Tim

XR4Tim Formula 3

Jun 1, 2005
    Medina, OH
    Boxster Spyder will go up in value eventually. The Cayman R may follow suit as well.

15. DriveAfterDark

DriveAfterDark F1 Veteran

Jan 1, 2007
    Norway
    Maybe in about 30 years.....

Liking the M1 suggestions!

16. lotustt

lotustt Formula 3

Aug 28, 2002
    Full Name:
    TRM
    Anyone of these would be fantastic.

17. XR4Tim

XR4Tim Formula 3

Jun 1, 2005
    Medina, OH
    My bet is 15-20 years for the Spyder to begin appreciating. Longer for the Cayman R, but I don't think they will depreciate too far in the meantime.

18. 4REphotographer

4REphotographer F1 Veteran

Oct 22, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I don't know if I could ever see the Boxster going up enough in value to justify it as an investment, I'm sure a very clean one in 30 years might break original MSRP.

What about a Spyker, very unique, well liked and low production numbers?

If it were me, I'd get one of these, not one of the subsequent models, but the CC8S, still my favorite.

CC8S | Selected Certified Cars | Koenigsegg

19. MM355

MM355 Formula 3

Apr 7, 2008
    GMT + 3
    #44 MM355, Jun 10, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2013
    Late Model TVR's

Aston Martin Lagonda "Series 4"

911 Turbo 3.6

930 Turbo "505/506" slant nose

930 Turbo w G50

930 Turbo Carrera

Any Aircooled RS Porsche

993 Turbo

Renault 5 Turbo

Lancia Delta Integrale Evo 2

BMW Z8

Ford GT

E30 M3 + " Sport Evo"

Aston Martin AMV8 the 80's Vantage specifically X Pack model ultra rare

Aston Martin Vantage 90's V550/V600 + Lemans.

Ferrari 512 TR/ 512 M

Ferrari 512 BBI etc

280SL Pagoda

250SL Pagoda

Iso Grifo

Toyota Supra 2JZ w Manual Gearbox "stock"

Honda NSX

Countach LP500 + 25th Anniv

LM002 4x4

Fezza 550 Barchetta

928 GTS with manual gearbox

20. Taurean Bull

Taurean Bull Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 10, 2010
    On my way
    Full Name:
    Chad
    The "muscle" cars are not going anywhere, regardless of numbers, papers, etc. Anyone notice the correlation of the price spike with the HELOC boom 7 years ago? Also was prime earner time (DINK) for the guys who were in their 50's and 60's to relive their early years, and they bubble bid the market. Now there's a lot of horse trading, but no serious upward movement. I fully expect to never see $1M for a Cuda again.

List could be a really odd hodgepodge.

Islero

Ghibli

Low Body Countach

80's Lagonda

Facel Vega

There was a Delage I was thinking of, but it escapes me at the moment.

You need to be thinking about what MY generation will be looking to re-live their childhood in....stuff from the 80's. Yeah crazy, but just a hunch. I'm already on my way in a Wagoneer....

21. DriveAfterDark

DriveAfterDark F1 Veteran

Jan 1, 2007
    Norway
    Did you decide on anything yet?

22. Craigy

Craigy Formula 3

Mar 19, 2006
    Louisiana
    Full Name:
    Craigy
    Yeah I wonder what is going to happen to all of the baby boomer era cars, particularly muscle cars and the like, once most of the boomers have retired / downsized / passed on and they or their heirs have liquidated their collections. There will only be so many Copo Camaros, L88 Corvettes, etc., but there are scads of these things that are all restored and babied and eventually the market will quite literally die off. I think this will extend into almost every vintage market except for the truly limited production classics.

23. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Nice ZR-1 in FerrariAds. Regal GN / GNX maybe?

I'm on the hunt for a Yugo... :D

24. Taurean Bull

Taurean Bull Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 10, 2010
    On my way
    Full Name:
    Chad
    Yugo

1988 Yugo

87 YUGO This one is $1,500, UNBEELEEBUBBBBLE

25. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    #50 WILLIAM H, Jul 3, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I'm betting on this baby from 1 of the greatest eras in racing. Corvette GTP, 1 of only 8 cars. Maybe I'll get a Yugo to haul parts around the infield :)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login