Inversion tables, do they help? | FerrariChat

Inversion tables, do they help?

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by VTChris, Aug 30, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. VTChris

VTChris F1 World Champ

Aug 21, 2005
    #1 VTChris, Aug 30, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I have always been wondering if they work, it makes sense why they would.
    But I was looking for real world experience from people and not the 97 year old man selling the Hang ups brand on QVC :) (it sure looks impressive when he does upside down sit-ups though.
    I have had back pain for quite some time, minor to severe. Wondering is this would help at all.
    It's usually a minor annoying pain in the middle of my back, xrays are neg.
    Stretching seems like it may work

Thanks in advance
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. 308steve

308steve Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2010
    For what it's worth. My back was a mess due to a 20 year career in pro-golf. I injured a disk in both my lower back and neck and spent many an hour in traction. I started inversion well before it was popular and it saved me from surgery. Fast forward to my 13 year old son diaganosed with scoliosis. Surgery was recommended but we (he) used a brace and inversion. After 2 years he is bolt straight!!! Both he and I use the table about once a week and if and when we tweak our backs. Takes about ten mins to feel the release of the back muscles. PS I never got to the 100% upside down - son did and does all the crazy twist and upside down sit ups - abs like a rock. PS if you have high blood pressure check with your doc!!!!!

3. VTChris

VTChris F1 World Champ

Aug 21, 2005

Thanks Steve, that's the input I was hoping for!
    Great news about your son and how it helped his scoliosis!
    And thanks for the tip on the BP. Thankfully I am ok in that dept :)

4. Scotty

Scotty F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Scotty Ferrari
    Chris--see a good physical therapist. I have had severe back pain (long story, have severe thoracic spine arthritis). A 5 minute stretching regimen in the morning (and repeated if I'm hurting in the evening) has done wonders. Other things have helped as well, but the stretching is key (designed by my physical therapist). It may be that the stretching created by the inversion table might be good for you, or maybe not.

5. forgeahead

forgeahead F1 Rookie
    Owner

Sep 16, 2008
    Rocky Mount, NC
    Full Name:
    Ray
    The natural history for most spinal disorders is that they will improve over time with conservative treatment. Inversion feels good while doing it (like massage), but offers no long lasting structural/anatomical benefit which are many years in development.

6. billyfitness

billyfitness Formula Junior

Feb 14, 2006
    Overland Park, KS
    Full Name:
    Bill Leavitt
    I'm with him.

In addition to the excess strain on the retina, and other cranial pressures, it is not a solution.

A precise analysis of the issue, movement, stretching, proper weight, and good exercise selection are the keys.

-Billy

7. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    VAX-D

Depending on your problem, it may be very helpful.

It's expensive and a nuisance (every day for an extended period).

But, it worked for me.

CW

8. VTChris

VTChris F1 World Champ

Aug 21, 2005
    Im going to try one out, thanks for all the input.
    I talked to a DC client of mine and he said quite a few of his clients use it and it has helped nearly all of them

9. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Agreed. I have one here in the office. When the back gets bad, I pull it out and get inverted. I use it about every other month for a few days at a time. Feels good to remove pressure, but then the blood all goes to your head.

10. jefffromcanada

jefffromcanada Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2006
    Alberta
    I started this thread http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=245522 a few years ago asking the exact same thing.

The answers/opinions given were pretty much the same as you're receiving now. I did end up buying one.

They provide a good stretch, it feels great and provides instant relief. To me it's like a hot tub, they don't really do anything except feel good. Which is some cases is all you need. That being said....if you want to buy mine, let me know :)

I ended up buying a Roman bench which works wonders. Not only does it feel good, accomplish the same thing, it allows you to exercise your back.

[​IMG]

11. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    #11 BT, Sep 1, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2011
    I used inversion boots on a bar when I was in high school, and I liked it. About a year ago I bought an inversion table at Costco for around $200 (looks just like the one in your pictures), and I use it aabout 1-2 times per week for about 10-15 minutes. It always makes my back feel a little better. I use the tilt limiting strap to keep from going totally inverted, and put on a cd I like for 3-5 songs. YMMV.
    :)
    BT

12. Ike

Ike F1 Rookie

Nov 4, 2003
    Is there a particular one to buy, one to stay away from?

13. VTChris

VTChris F1 World Champ

Aug 21, 2005

A day too late! I just paid for one this morning :(

14. 308steve

308steve Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2010
    Teeter hang -ups is the best consumer item on the market IMO --- Had one (see my post above) worked very well felt so much better felt I didn't need it anymore and sold it. Back began to "miss the stretch" and I purchased a genaric one for montgomery wards - did not have the quality or stability - purchased a new hang up - sold the genaric. Won't make that mistake again! Ps the roman chair looks like to much work:)

15. VTChris

VTChris F1 World Champ

Aug 21, 2005

I will go see a good Physical therapist Scotty.
    Thanks for the input

16. VTChris

VTChris F1 World Champ

Aug 21, 2005
    So far,
    1st day I used it for about 5 minutes. half, then about 3/4.
    Had a headache in the AM/
    2nd day I used it about the same time, etc... No headache in the AM
    3rd day, same same, back feels a little better, not really sure yet

I will report back

17. 348 Turbo

348 Turbo Formula 3

Jul 17, 2002
    I had persistent lower back pain about 2 years ago. I tried physical therapy, Chiropractic, and stretching. It didn't seem to improve anything. I bought a cheap inversion table, to try something new.
    First time I used it, I went completely inverted, found this VERY uncomfortable. I then started experimenting with different inclines. I ended up using just over a 45 degree incline. This angle seems to provide relief, as well as keeping that "my head is going to explode" feeling from occurring.
    I noticed little improvement at first, mostly relief from the pressure I felt in my lower back. When I stand up from the table, I feel like I've been "adjusted" by a chiropractor. After consistent daily use, (about 2-3 times daily for about 3 songs each time), and around 6 months later, I noticed great improvement. My back feels fine now. I am back to participating in all my normal sports.
    I still use it about twice a week.
    I will assume that my results are not necessarily typical.

18. VTChris

VTChris F1 World Champ

Aug 21, 2005

I will try the 45 degree incline, I agree, completely inverted is very uncomfortable at best.
    Been using it about twice a week and feel better. I would like to keep this going for a longer time (months) to see what the results are.

Thanks for the input :)

19. billyfitness

billyfitness Formula Junior

Feb 14, 2006
    Overland Park, KS
    Full Name:
    Bill Leavitt
    The most effective ways to decompress the spine are:

- Lose weight
    - Strengthen Abs-Core-Torso by doing the RIGHT exercises.

Stretching (or hanging) does not solve anything but rather persecutes a range of motion the body is not currently willing to accept.

-Billy

20. modena1_2003

modena1_2003 F1 Rookie

Aug 17, 2005
    Full Name:
    Jon
    These things are just dumb.

Spinal decompression is neither here nor there, and good stretching with a foam roll is all that's necessary. Hang from a pull-up bar if you want to go above and beyond.

Try www.elitefts.com and if you see anything about inversion, I'm an idiot.