Introduce Yourself... | Page 20 | FerrariChat

Introduce Yourself...

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by rob lay, Aug 7, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Bob- Scanned through quickly. Will listen in more detail later. Fascinating, as usual.

2. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Thanks, Taz. I hadn't watched that video in three years and I realized that almost every painting had some kind of story behind it, as they all do. The people in attendance were mostly from my old PD group at Boeing and we had a great time during the filming. I'm trying to compile all the stories of my association with so many people and the incidents that were coupled with so many of the images. I have a lot of those paintings that I have to get rid of. For the first time in my life, I realize that I might not live forever but I have a secret string stretcher that still works.

3. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Bob- Let me know if you still have the SSW D.III painting.

4. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Taz, I think that SSW is the Siemans-Schukert painting. If that is to which you refer, I only have prints of that. The original was commissioned by Ernie Gann's son, George in 1974. Sad story there. He was first mate on a super tanker and lost his life in a super storm trying to rescue a crew member that was trapped between some barrels on deck shortly after he received the painting.

5. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Bob- Yup, that was the one. Was worth a try. I have several originals of SSW D.IIIs and D.IVs, including one that shows Udet's LO! SSW D.III in the background of a portrait of Udet. That one was on the cover of Over the Front magazine.

6. Admiral Goodwrench

Admiral Goodwrench Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2005
    Santa Fe, New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Robert Phillips
    Dear Bob,

U. S. Naval Academy is correct. However my accomplishments pale in comparison to a couple of my USNA 57 classmates. Charlie Duke is the youngest person to walk on the moon from Apollo 16, and Brad Parkinson is the co-inventor of GPS. Both are good guys.

Best regards,

Robert

Texas Forever likes this.
  7. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    In every field of endeavor there is always someone who is better.

Tcar likes this.
  8. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Kahuku / Cottonwood / Prescott
    Full Name:
    Will
    ...but not always at the same time.

9. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Agree

10. furmano

furmano Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Furman
    Hi, I'm furmano, I'm not a pilot but I love aviation, the technical aspects and the knowledge base that has built up over the last century. I'm a fan of Boeing and I love Bob Parks. And forza Ferrari! :)

-F

Bob Parks and Texas Forever like this.
  11. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Welcome aboard. There are many knowledgeable and interesting aviators and experts in this forum. I learn something every time a new thread is introduced. A great bunch of people here and it keeps me alive to chat with them.I always look forward to it. It's the best part of my day second to a break in the evening with my wife and a little relaxer.

12. DonB

DonB Formula Junior
    BANNED

Nov 11, 2003
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Don Bartz

Hi Bob..

I can't remember if I posted this or not but here goes.

Well I bought your book. A new copy I might add, and I absolutely thoroughly enjoyed reading it! Although you’ve got almost 30 years on me, I could still relate to a lot of things you talked about.

In the early 1930’s my Grandfather bought Zane Grey, the western author’s horse ranch at the base of the Mogollon Rim just north of Payson, Arizona. It had a log cabin, wood stove, and yes, an outhouse. When we’d stay at the ranch, I can remember as a little kid taking a bath in a wash tub, and trips to the outhouse at night with a kerosene lantern. Our water came from a well in the front yard. And I can remember for the longest time my Grandmother using a huge wood burning stove at their residence. Terrific memories to recall!

I pictured your adventures as a kid and could, as probably so many can, remember similar experiences. I can remember riding our bicycles to Falcon Field in Mesa, Arizona to climb around on a B-23 Dragon, a B-18 Bolo, and watch the guy that owned the flying service there fly his P-51. I ultimately got my Private license there years later.

I related to your stories from basic Training too. When I went through Lackland, Air Force Base we were billeted in two story barracks that were built in 1941. This was in November and December, and although the day may have started at 80 degrees by night fall it could be 40 degrees and rain! And of course the building had no heat! I also remember coming home in a Boeing KC-97 from the Arizona Air Guard. What an experience.

Your stories from WWII and the training that went on in Florida, reminded me of stories that my folks would tell about when my dad was in Cadets and advanced training. He was at Tarrant field in Fort Worth in B-24’s and ended up in B-25’s in the Pacific. And like you, I’ve even had the experience of riding in the tail gunners’ position of a B-17, the Sentimental Journey.

Your stories about your time at Boeing and the 720 struck a chord. My brother, as a new hire with Western Airlines, was a “Plumber” on the 720. I got to do a “Walk Around” with him one morning while he was on a Lay Over in Phoenix. Try that today! Years later as a “Plumber” myself on the 727 for Eastern Airlines, one finally knew what phrase “If ain’t Boeing, I ain’t going” meant.

And holy cow you even worked on the 777! I retired off that airplane and now they’re being scrapped. Can you believe it?

Thanks so much for writing your book and helping spark so many great memories, it was a great trip.

13. jag312

jag312 Karting

Oct 22, 2015
    Minden, Nevada
    Full Name:
    Edward Peterson
    I did not know there was an aviation section to Ferrarichat. I used to fly. Not anymore. Can no longer pass the physical. Heart problems, but that is a long story. My mother used to fly. She was taught when she was 18 by her boyfriend, who was Amelia Earhart's personal mechanic. My mother encouraged me, everyone of my friends, and every son and daughter of her friends to learn to fly. She hoped my son would learn to fly. I have offered to pay for any and all flying lessons for my son. I offered to buy a plane for my son if he got his PPL. I may not ever fly a plane again, but I knew I would enjoy flying with my son. My son, 40 years old, would rather play video games.

Bob Parks and Texas Forever like this.
  14. aj737

aj737 Rookie

Mar 12, 2022
    Full Name:
    CARMINE
    Hey all, new to this site and Ferraris. I am working at a major airline as a pilot but I think I want to change careers and focus on other things. I'm not sure which is best right now for me. Thinking of going into plumbing/contracting work since I grew up around that but I caught the aviation bug early. I am in my late 20s so not sure if it's too late to make a change or if I should just accept being where I am. Looking to make enough money to be comfortable and have a toy or two.

Looking forward to participating more in the forum. Very interesting discussions!

Aquenture.net likes this.
  15. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    I gather from your username that you fly 737s. Any other types?

16. aj737

aj737 Rookie

Mar 12, 2022
    Full Name:
    CARMINE
    737s now and flew a regional jet before. Owned a Bonanza a while ago. I look at all the ads and want to buy something else. Always liked T6s and other warbirds. Just not sure what to do right now.

17. kenneyd

kenneyd Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2014
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Still being young, your could go ATC

18. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I would strongly suggest doing whatever you can to keep your seniority number. If you want to do something different, bid reserve or take an unpaid leave or something like that. But don't give up that number!

sigar and aj737 like this.
  19. aj737

aj737 Rookie

Mar 12, 2022
    Full Name:
    CARMINE
    Thanks guys. I don't hate the job but I think a lot about leaving and doing other things. Should have just flew for fun like a lot of you do.

20. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    The good news about the airlines, especially if you live in your base, is that there are a lot of ways you can make time off for yourself to do other things, while hanging on to your position.

I sometimes wish I had gone the other direction and flown for the airlines myself, just for that reason.

I used to know a United guy who, around 1997, took a 6 or 7 year leave to start a dot com company. Well, in the end it didn't work out, and I think he was glad to end his career as a wide body Captain.

aj737 and sigar like this.
  21. Craig Holcomb

Craig Holcomb Rookie

Jun 10, 2008
    R44 crash in Texas

22. Craig Holcomb

Craig Holcomb Rookie

Jun 10, 2008
    Has anyone heard any accurate info on the R44 crash in Texas?

23. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    It appears that the main rotor cut off the tail boom. How that happened remains to be determined.

24. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I think it is a known issue with the R44, at least early ones.

Not the best article, but does mention mast bumping
    https://www.latimes.com/projects/la-me-robinson-helicopters/

25. bnn23

bnn23 Rookie
    BANNED

Apr 7, 2022
    Full Name:
    Bnn Tech
    Newbie Alert!!!;)