Introduce Yourself... | Page 19 | FerrariChat

Introduce Yourself...

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by rob lay, Aug 7, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DonB

DonB Formula Junior
    BANNED

Nov 11, 2003
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Don Bartz
    Holy cow! What a day...I gotta ask..what kind of plane did you take your ride in?

2. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    A Cessna 120 NC 90173.

3. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    What is the difference between pylon 8s and 8s on pylons?

4. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    I'm not certain if the examiner created it or not but I had to cross over one pylon after executing a 180 deg turn at either end of the run. Then I had to do the eights on pylon using two pylons. All of which were in a 90deg crosswind.

5. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    As I recall , these maneuvers tested one's ability to adjust bank angle and direction to correct for the cross wind. I think that one of the most difficult things at the time was to smoothly change from a left 720 to a right 720 without losing or gaining altitude. My instructor made me do most of these things when I got checked out in the Stearman and added rolls, snap rolls wingovers, loops, hammerheads, etc.

6. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Got my memories awake here. I went from the Stearman to the PT-19, PT-23, PT-26, 1930 Bird, Porterfield/ Rearwin stuff ( terrible), Waco UPF-7, Waco 10, Stinson 95,108, all the Cubs and fabric covered Pipers (including the short wings), 300 HP Stearman, Navion, and a lot of other stuff up to a Lockheed Mod 12, and DC-3, get's boring, I guess. I think that I did this before, sorry. It's a scene like a movie strip that plays its way through sometimes and it never gets old to me or looses its pleasure. My wife gets a bit bothered when I'm sitting spaced out and ignoring what's happening on the tube. " I know, you're flying again." It's kind of a gift , I guess, don't have to go to the movies or out to a bar when you can just turn on the old show including the clown act , AND it doesn't cost anything but a glass of scotch.

albkid, tritone, Tcar and 1 other person like this.
  7. DonB

DonB Formula Junior
    BANNED

Nov 11, 2003
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Don Bartz
    Hi Bob..

I love hearing stuff like this. Maybe you could post some pics if you have any. I'm certainly not in the same ball park as you but I find myself reliving flying experiences as well..not just the flying but the all the friends/derelicts I've met and enjoyed along the way!

8. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Don, I'm not in or ever have been in much of a "ball park". I happened to be at the right place at the right time when I got to try a lot of airplanes. I worked at an airport after I got out of the Air Force and continued for two school summer vacation times and one more year my last year of school. I was able to try a lot of airplanes and I did meet a lot of very interesting people. Several grade B movies were made there and I got to meet people like Esther Williams, Cartoonist Zack Mosely of "Smilin' Jack", and Peter Lawford . They're just people like anybody else. The nicest guys were Steve Whitman and Zack Mosely. Whitman flew in with his Bonzo on the way to the Miami Air maneuvers and I refueled it and chatted with him. Same with Mosely, very social and a GOOD tipper. I had a lot of pictures and still have a few scattered about but most were lost in a divorce. I'll try to dig some up.
    Take care.

Tcar likes this.
  9. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

Thanks Bob... I actually remember "Smilin' Jack' comic books from my childhood.
    Looked up "Bonzo"... wow, you would never get me in that plane. The rudder looks to be about 20 square inches.

10. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    That little airplane was absolutely the most pristine and cleanly built airplane that I had ever seen. We expected a fancy buzz job when Whitman left but he simply got in, I propped it, he taxied to the end of the runway, did a mag check, cleared traffic , and just took off and left. That thing was beautiful and quick in straight flight.

Tcar likes this.
  11. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    More recall. The day after Whitman visited our airport, a friend and I rented a Cessna 140 and flew down to see the Miami Air Maneuvers. Whitman and Bill Brennan placed 1 and 2 with Bonzo and Buster in the Goodyear Race event. It was amazing to see how fast those screaming little airplanes were with just 85 HP. "Fish" Salmon was there also with his airplane, " Ballerina", I think. Can't remember the other all metal one right now but I'll look it up. Betty Skelton flew Little Stinker and Rod Joslyn won his class with his Great Lakes. On the flight home , we decided to drop down to look at an isolated homestead/shack on a small island in the Glades and had a rifle fired at us by the occupant. Didn't do that anymore. Weird people living in the middle of nothing but grass, water, snakes, mosquitos, and alligators.

albkid and DonB like this.
  12. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    I think that the name of the other "Cosmic Wind " racer was Minnow.

Tcar likes this.
  13. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    The first three Cosmic Winds were Little Toni, Ballerina and Minnow; the fourth one built by LeVier and company was Miss Cosmic Wind, which I believe had a modified design. At least two more were built later, and a couple of them are still active in England.

14. DonB

DonB Formula Junior
    BANNED

Nov 11, 2003
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Don Bartz
    Hi Bob..
    I was thinking, and that could be dangerous! Maybe you should put together a book of some sort with all your adventures? I'd be a buyer for sure. I'm fortunate that I have a lot of my dad's pictures and stuff from when he flew B-25's in the Pacific in '43/'44..need a booklet on the Bendix top turret for a 25?
    Your era, like that of vintage racing and cars, is a very special and unique time and needs to be preserved as well as can be. Even in the form of musings on here. Just sayin...

15. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

Haha... you must be new here.

"From Crystal Sets to High Speed Jets" by Robert L. Parks.

Amazon?

16. DonB

DonB Formula Junior
    BANNED

Nov 11, 2003
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Don Bartz
    Here only 17 years I guess.....didn't know about this..thanks for the HU

17. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

Longer than I have... just kidding on the "new"...

18. DonB

DonB Formula Junior
    BANNED

Nov 11, 2003
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Don Bartz
    I haven't frequented this part of FChat though...I appreciate the HU on the book!

19. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Hi, Don. I think that I have some pictures in my book that will answer your suggestions. One of my favorites is the one with my instructors. It was taken after a session in the Stearman and it got all three of them together which was a lucky thing. If you get a copy of the book I hope that you enjoy it. It isn't the great Ernest Gann type of writing but it covers a lot of ground and I have never had any negative comments about it. Take care,
    Bob

20. DonB

DonB Formula Junior
    BANNED

Nov 11, 2003
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Don Bartz
    Thanks Bob..

You bet I'll get a copy and will look forward to reading it.
    Don

21. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

It's really a great book, Don.... decades of aviation on parade.

22. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    I know that it isn't earth shattering news but it occurred to me that on this date 76 years ago I started duty in the USAAF. Numbers now are beginning to make no sense to me.

sigar and Tcar like this.
  23. Admiral Goodwrench

Admiral Goodwrench Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2005
    Santa Fe, New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Robert Phillips
    Dear Bob,
    First thank you for your service and all the great recollections. A couple of months back I celebrated the 67th (not 76) anniversary of my swearing in at USNA.
    Amazing how fast good times fly!

Best regards,

Robert

24. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Thanks, Admiral. USNA must be the Naval Academy and if I'm correct, that is an awesome accomplishment. Something that I could never do. I have worked with and known several academy graduates and they all were exceptional people.
    Bob

25. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    I don't know how to do the link thing but if anyone would like to see an interesting video try You Tube, " Stories of Bob Parks Art of Historic profiles at The Schack Art Center 2017."