Introduce Yourself... | Page 18 | FerrariChat

Introduce Yourself...

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by rob lay, Aug 7, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Zisky

Zisky Rookie

May 12, 2018
    Long Island NY
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    We usually called them bug smashers, until I accidentally said it with with a hot mike. LOL

2. Dicecal

Dicecal Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 15, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Rob
  3. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Of that pair of machines, I'd rather have the Viper!

4. larry1987

larry1987 Rookie

Aug 27, 2018
    California
    Full Name:
    Larry Lei
    I am a Ferrari car lover who expect to buy a complete Ferrari car like 458 or California one day , These should be based on enough money that i should have . Also having been in composites for many years , I am able to build carbon fiber Parts for race car or modified cars

5. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Image Unavailable, Please Login I'm a little bit slow in posting, I guess. This was 75 years ago. Don't know who that is.Nothing to brag about, just keep running into old stuff whilst clearing out boxes.

6. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Nice photo, Bob! Of course, you need no introduction here, as you are the heart and soul of this forum.

7. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Bob- Reminds us old farts that we were all young once.

8. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Yeah, but you guys weren't young and D.......You were smart. I did absolutely nothing of note then.

9. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    I don't know about that, Jim. I have the reputation of a blabbermouth and I guess old goats sometimes blatt and blab too much. I like to spread stuff around instead of sitting on the couch and reminiscing. It's fun to share with other goats, old and young and I'm not trying to be anything special 'cause I ain't.

10. Admiral Goodwrench

Admiral Goodwrench Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2005
    Santa Fe, New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Robert Phillips
    Dear Terry, not so sure that I remember that...

Best regards,

Robert

11. DonB

DonB Formula Junior
    BANNED

Nov 11, 2003
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Don Bartz
    Hey, is that in Tucson?

12. Dicecal

Dicecal Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 15, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Luke AFB

13. DonB

DonB Formula Junior
    BANNED

Nov 11, 2003
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Don Bartz
    Hey guys..I'm another one from FChat. I'm fortunate enough to have '79 308GTB and an '84 BBi. I've had them for a long, long time seems like, but enjoy them very much......you know throwing money at them! I retired from American off the 777 about two years ago and boy did it come quick!

I started back in 71 when I took my PP written in High School. I enlisted in the Arizona Air National Guard in '71 in Tucson, and while doing my training as an electrician at Davis Monthan AFB there, I started my PP training with the aero club. $10 an hour for the plane and instructor wet...yikes!

Graduated from Arizona State and was able to find a flying slot with the AF Reserves at March AFB in Riverside, CA flying HC-130's in Rescue. My Dad had been at March in '41, my brother in '71 so it was kinda neat to be going there. Did my AF UPT at Willy in Chandler, AZ in T-37's and T-38's.

First airline was Pacific Express flying BAC-111's in California...before they went bankrupt :-(, then I got on with Eastern in Miami...lots of fun until I went on strike but I was fortunate to get hired by AA in'89 and never looked back. I met a lot of interesting people along the way, made life long friends, had some great times, went all over the world, and in those 40 plus years of flying only shut down one engine...but still had three turning :)

Cheers

aseweepay likes this.
  14. DonB

DonB Formula Junior
    BANNED

Nov 11, 2003
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Don Bartz
    Oh OK.......I was in Tucson at the 162nd back in the '70's when they had F-100's. I know they have "covered parking" for the planes now and that's what made me wonder.

I've only been in and out of Luke in a T-38, 130, and 141.

Nice Corvette by the way!

15. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Cool shot. Any of you Viper guys have Dodge Vipers? Sorry I had to ask. :)

I love seeing the F16s fly all over town in Tucson. The A10s are cool, too, but the F16s really make me smile.

16. Dicecal

Dicecal Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 15, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Not too many. However they used to bring the Viper club out at the air shows, and they would drag race a Viper vs F-16 on the runway. Have not seen them do that in a while though.

17. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

How about Ford Falcons??? You could get big motors in them, too...

How did the F-16 'Fighting Falcon' get the nickname 'Viper'

18. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    I think some saw a resemblance to the starfighters called Vipers in the original Battlestar Galactica movie.

19. Dane

Dane Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2002
    Retired AH-64A driver. Two years OEF. Left a great airline to fly corporate jet. Nothing at all against the airline world. It just wasn’t for me. Cheers.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

20. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Kahuku / Cottonwood / Prescott
    Full Name:
    Will
    Um...no....

21. A12pilot

A12pilot Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 11, 2018
    DFW
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Hey gang,

I’m currently flying on the airline side of things and am reinstating my CFI next week since I let it lapse, oh....20+ years ago...and will be buying a 310 sometime soon for some fun flying! Love this section! Lots of cool planes you’s guys have.

Seems like around my area (Southwest of Ft. Worth / DFW) the hardest part of plane ownership is finding a darn hangar!

Great thread...

Cheers
    Dave

22. kenneyd

kenneyd Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2014
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Ken

quite a few years ago when I was going to get relocated to the fort Worth area, I almost bought a place at hidden valley airpark just north of fort Worth. my employer changed their mind, and sent me out to the desert but, it looked like a pretty cool place for aviation lovers

23. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Reinstating the CFI is fun, isn't it? I plan to never let mine expire from now on...

I treated my CFI reinstatement ride exactly as an initial CFI checkride, and that's basically how the DPE approached it as well. There are a few things you don't need to do on a reinstatement, but otherwise it's the same.

I told her that I had a really hard time with 8s on pylons, and she said no problem, we won't do that... and then she said "when did you get your commercial?"

"1986"

"There's your problem- they didn't teach 8s on pylons in the 1980s!"

24. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    I hope that I'm not loosing it a bit at 94 but when I got my check ride I remember doing two "eights' maneuvers. One was eights on pylon and one was pylon eights. The latter was with one pylon that you had to cross after doing a180 deg turn at either end. I had to do it with a cross wind 90 deg to the line that crossed the pylon between the turn points of the eights. Then I had to do the eights on pylons the same way. I got a "forced landing" in the middle of that one and came within feet of putting it down in a plowed field nearby that had the wind on the nose. Got chewed out because the furrows were in the wrong direction, crossing the field instead of being aligned with it. On that ride I got 720's left and 720's right, precision spins left and right coming out on a point after 2 turns, 1 1/2, and 1 left and right . Three or four rudder exercise stalls (stick in the gut and climb power until the nose drops and walk it down with rudder) without loss of direction control that would develop into a spin. " Gliding stalls" in a turn, climbing stalls in a turn, and a finish with three precision landings ( no power adjustments after throttle had been pulled back) and hitting the numbers within 50 feet.. It was a hot day and I was wringing wet when I was done. The last landing was a disaster when the bottom dropped out from a 180 deg wind shift. A black squall was approaching the other end of the runway and had to walk the airplane down with rudder and we hit like a garbage can falling off of a truck. I passed but got criticized for veering off into the grass shoulder. This for my PPL in 1946.

25. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Bob- The one time they tried to spin the F-111, they lost the aircraft, but got to test the capsule ejection system.

tritone likes this.