Intriguing s/n 5745, P4 Maranello-powered replica | FerrariChat

Intriguing s/n 5745, P4 Maranello-powered replica

Discussion in 'Recreations & Non-Period Rebodies' started by Smiles, Jan 4, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    This car is intriguing to me, mostly because I can't figure out why it needed an original chassis in the first place. There's not much on the car that's original. Perhaps it was for the title.

Its looks are off, in my opinion. It has an obvious choice of a Porsche G50 transaxle, like you'd find in any GT40 replica. For some reason it has a relatively modern Maranello V-12.

The original s/n 5745 was dismantled in 1995, and this was created in or around 2008. At the same time a full, nice 4-headlight 330 could have been bought for around $50k. Why use the Maranello engine?

Does anyone know what the frame is?

It's been for sale at Maine Line Exotics for a long time. It's the only older Ferrari -- even a replica -- to lose 50% of its asking price in the past year. $300k down to $200k.

Cant post pics from my backup computer, but check out: Ferrari 330P4 Recreation - Maine Line Exotics

Matt

2. PAUL500

PAUL500 F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2013
    I think the thing with such replicas is that they are hugely impractical, nice to look at but that is it! not ideal as a track car, not nice to drive as a weekend road car.

Its fish nor fowl, retro looks, modern mechanicals, equals small market.

3. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Isn't that #0846 when it was first "restored" as a coupe in the first photo ...
    Pete

4. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    #4 miurasv, Jan 6, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2016
    Not 0846 but it does look like Piper 0003. The cockpit of the car near the camera gives it away of course.

5. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
  6. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    What part of this car could possibly be s/n 5745?

Was that chassis used solely for the title?

Matt

7. open roads

open roads F1 Rookie

Jan 28, 2007
    Sarasota, Fl.
    Full Name:
    Stan
    Surely there will be a piece in there. I find these interesting also. But I think
    The lines are off on this one.

The V12 would have been chosen because it was easier and cheaper to source than a vintage V12.

8. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    I just opened the Hemmings that arrived in the mail. It's for sale at $ 198,500 in print, and $175k on their website.

I'm tempted... To figure out how they retained fuel injection or converted to carbs, likewise ignition. And tempted to drive it.

And, yes I admit, a little tempted to consider buying it. But it may be too fake fo rme.

Matt

9. George Vosburgh

George Vosburgh F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

If you go to their website there are more pictures. It looks great until you really start looking at it.

10. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    You're right. Some details could be put right -- and it would be fun to do it -- but some basic things can't.

I still want to figure out their fuel and spark solutions for a 550 motor...

Matt

11. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    2000 lbs and 600 hp. It must have an insane amount of power, but I think I'd add nitrous and twin turbos just to give it a bit more "pep" off the line :)

RIP 5745 (SN 5745 Detail). Sadly, it would likely be worth more today if it had been restored to original.

12. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Good point.

I sold s/n 9453, my 330 2+2, for a lot more than I paid for it, but not as much as it would be worth today.

Personally, I think the 2+2 market is high. It feels like 1989. But there are other threads on that.

Matt