Intermittent total electrical loss on Mondial. | FerrariChat

Intermittent total electrical loss on Mondial.

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by exproject, Sep 9, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. exproject

exproject Karting

Sep 9, 2006
    Denton, TX
    Full Name:
    Cameron R.
    Hello everyone, I've heard from many people about this site, but now is the first time I have actually had a chance to get on it.

(Car is '85 Mondial)
    As the title says, I'll be driving down a road normally, and then, randomly, I'll hear the engine wind down and the car will start to slow down, and I look down, and there we have it, tach reading a solid 0, every system shut down. I show 0 oil pressure, no fuel, temperature gauges die off, radio dies. Only thing still going is the warning light on oil pressure and a few other interior running lights. And then after I switch the key off, then back on, I won't even get those lights.

When I do turn the key, I have no lights(inside or out), no whine sound that it makes normally, and I cannot hear the fuel pump come on. I'll usually have to wait a few minutes, continually checking the ignition every minute or so, waiting for it to come back. The engine will still turn over if I turn the key, but the rest of the car won't do anything.

Well, today on my way back from ItalianCarFest, it did it 6 times, but this time, it would die off, I could switch it off(while still rolling with the clutch in), then go back into ignition, and get the whine, the pump and everything else, and start right back up and keep going.

This isn't a very reliable or good way to drive a car, so are there any suggestions or similar cases any of you have had?

(By the way, if you were at the ItalianCarFest(Grapevine, TX) my Mondial was under the tent with my father and I, next to the 550 Maranello and the SuperAmerica.)

2. LarryS

LarryS Formula Junior

Nov 14, 2003
    Fremont, CA
    Full Name:
    Larry S
  3. exproject

exproject Karting

Sep 9, 2006
    Denton, TX
    Full Name:
    Cameron R.
    Thank you, that gave me some good ideas for where to check. I'll be sure to check that connector as soon as I can.

4. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    Maybe it's the ignition switch itself? Years ago a family friend had a boat that did a similar thing (would shut down when the chop was heavy), turned out that the 'run' position had bad wiring. You could try jumpering around it (maybe include a nifty momentary contact "start" button) and see if the behaviour changes.

I am not a real mechanic, use at your own risk, etc. etc.

5. exproject

exproject Karting

Sep 9, 2006
    Denton, TX
    Full Name:
    Cameron R.
    That seems to be what my dad is thinking it is. I think were just gonna have to spend some good hours around it with a voltmeter and checking for bad wiring

6. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    I had that problem with a Mondial t simply because I didn't keep the battery fully charged. I ended up having the electrical terminals and fuse box cleaned and checked, but the problem really was that I didn't keep the car on a trickle charger.

Just another thing to look at...

7. 32-valve 2+2

32-valve 2+2 Karting

Mar 14, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Bill B.
    I had the exact same problem with my Mondial QV (Euro).

There is a connector (underneath the car) between the cable from your battery to the engine. It corrodes ... either replace it or clean it up.

Good luck.

8. MondialMondo

MondialMondo Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2005
    USA
    Full Name:
    MondialMondo
    That would be my guess too. If that turns out not to be it then I would take a closer look at the fuse box which is known to cause trouble in Mondials.

9. DavidDriver

DavidDriver F1 Rookie

May 9, 2006
    Grass Valley, CA
    Full Name:
    David Driver
    That battery disconnect switch is very annoying on the Mondial.

I'd spent the better part of an hour trying to figure out what had happened, until I finally gave up. I rested my chin in my palm and sighed, staring at what I knew was a fully charged battery.

Then it dawned on me: The first thing I'd ever touched in that area of the car was the battery cut-off switch. I'd turned it slightly in one direction, and then back again, just to see what it was, a couple of weeks earlier.

So I went over and grabbed the knob. I turned it one way and then the other way, very gently. I felt a little click, and crossed my fingers.

Car fired right up and....

Zoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooommmmm!!!

Off I went.