Intermeccanica Italia Advice | Page 9 | FerrariChat

Intermeccanica Italia Advice

Discussion in 'Other Italian' started by beng, Aug 22, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. velocetwo

velocetwo F1 World Champ

Dec 11, 2006
    Left Coast
    #201 velocetwo, Jun 25, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Is it any of these wheels
    something in the back of my head says...Italia wheels were dino wheels..without the Dino script

ferrari dino cromodora wheel - AOL Image Search Results

3. 68 torino

68 torino Rookie

Dec 25, 2014
    rockaway twp. nj
    Full Name:
    andrew dlugosz
    i might know someone who has the answer for you ill get back to you on that
    need help with this Q : my car( 1968 torino) is painted yellow lixilcar avorio
    i cant find anything about lixilcar ? i am assuming it was a paint manufacturer .am i correct? i found salchi but not lixilcar paints? nada

4. velocetwo

velocetwo F1 World Champ

Dec 11, 2006
    Left Coast
    Bizzarrini used Salchi so your on the right tract

5. 68 torino

68 torino Rookie

Dec 25, 2014
    rockaway twp. nj
    Full Name:
    andrew dlugosz
    got it thanks i'll keep searching

6. 68 torino

68 torino Rookie

Dec 25, 2014
    rockaway twp. nj
    Full Name:
    andrew dlugosz
    cromadoro only made alloy wheels i have been told, but, you are correct they are the same wire wheels as used on the dino.
    i might know someone with original wires but last i saw them, and if they havent been sold , they needed to be rechromed
    they were off of an italia
    should i ask if he still has them for you ??

7. velocetwo

velocetwo F1 World Champ

Dec 11, 2006
    Left Coast
    Cromadoro's are Magnisium alloy I don't think they ever made a wire wheel, I would guess their Borranis If so PM me.

8. 68 torino

68 torino Rookie

Dec 25, 2014
    rockaway twp. nj
    Full Name:
    andrew dlugosz
    yes he has borranis
    he has 2 complete and 2 rims
    they need to be rechromed
    if interested let me know

9. velocetwo

velocetwo F1 World Champ

Dec 11, 2006
    Left Coast
    yes PM me

10. velocetwo

velocetwo F1 World Champ

Dec 11, 2006
    Left Coast
    #210 velocetwo, Jul 1, 2015
  11. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    Sweet!! Share photos, maybe I'll drop by and check this one out too...big fan!

12. 68 torino

68 torino Rookie

Dec 25, 2014
    rockaway twp. nj
    Full Name:
    andrew dlugosz
    very cool indeed
    this should keep you busy for a couple weekends//
    i have been in contact with paula reisner .she has verified my car as a 1968 torino (in writing in an email) and not an italia it's a 'one off'
    all other 1968's bear the marque italia
    i have been in contact with rm sotheby's, also might sell it at auburn in. thru sotheby's this year
    if you do know a person who can appreciate a one of a kind 68 torino that is done already i have owned since 1980,(never on road) please put them in contact with me

13. 68 torino

68 torino Rookie

Dec 25, 2014
    rockaway twp. nj
    Full Name:
    andrew dlugosz
    have 1968 TORINO spyder for sale
    it is verified a 'one of a kind'
    it bears the marque torino and not italia
    the torino name was dropped by intermecannica in 1967
    i have been in contact with paula reisner (frank's widow)
    and she has agreed that my car is indeed a 1968 torino which it bears the marque on the header panel and trunk lid in writing in an email to me .(not 67 no vent window )
    pre federal safety standards and has 5digit production number not vin as paula explained it to me

if you are looking for something unique ( unless somebody else out there comes up with another 1968 torino, i dont think so )
    possible explanation:
    in 1968 the turin factory was swamped with 160 body shells and no mechanicals when griffith went belly up
    when approached by another buyer for the cars still unfinished frank reisner agreed to cut off the tops of these coupe bodies in order to sell the cars
    mine was one of these earlier cars delivered 6/7/68 as paula has said
    as you can imagine it must have been a hectic time for the reisners at turin italy
    ps your front bumpers are correct for a 68
    andrew

14. Italia Spyder

Italia Spyder Rookie

Aug 13, 2014
    I have -67 spyder (#50024)and -68 coupe (#40076). Spyder is with a vent window and coupe not. So likely your car fits in between my somewhat illogically numbered cars vs manufacturing year. Both cars are referred in production records as Italias. No emblems remain on neither car

This is the 1st time I hear of "cut off" hard tops. I have not seen any reference of such in any literature before. Where did you hear of such and would you have more details of this to share? Did I understand correctly that your car is one of the cut cars?

15. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    #215 F1tommy, Sep 11, 2015
    Cut off the roof's of the coupes??

Here is a rare coupe with the optional wheels at a local event. The car is very well restored, maybe the best I have seen on these cars. I think I like the other wheels better. They kind of remind you of what is under the engine cover. The owner is in the middle by the driver door. I am not sure if the car had side vents when new.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

16. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    #216 bitzman, Sep 11, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2015
    I mean the roadster featured in the story on the website
    1969 Intermeccanica Italia Spyder Project | Bring a Trailer
    I'd like to know what it sold for and how rusty it was percentage-wise?

Or I'd like to see a classified ad of any other example of an Italia spyder that sold for sub-25 as a barn find but eventually sold for over 100K at auction without having 75K of restoration necessary inbetween. It seems like the nice ones that reach auction are going for over $125K now. But still about half the price of a restored Iso Grifo.

I remember I was taking pictures of a black Ferrari Daytona spyder and a black Intermeccanica Italia spyder the same day and I preferred the Inter except for the heaviness of lifting the hood (steel!). I couldn't believe one was worth ten times more than the other.

I also interviewed Mr. Reisner one time and he admitted the front end suspension was designed for a lighter engine than they had to go with, so I was wondering if one shop somewhere knows exactly what parts are needed to replace the inadequate parts on the front suspension? In other words, has a "fix it" kit been developed?

17. velocetwo

velocetwo F1 World Champ

Dec 11, 2006
    Left Coast
    No fix kit has been developed. After purchasing the coupe listed on post 210 I have had time to look at the front suspension closely and it's a cobbled mess of Fiat 850, Fiat 2300 and Fiat ??? who knows. 2300 spares are rare and expensive. It's a shame the Griffith/Omega/Torino/Italia's were left with this poor design as they were the best looking of all the Intermecchanica cars IMO.

Is it possible to rebuild the front end ....yes but at what cost as the 2300 parts are rare and very expensive.

After talking with a few owners I get mixed answers some say to keep it all original witch I am a big fan of and other say get it over with and weld on a mustang II front end. Fiat 2300 ball joints are 6-800 dollars a set and the wheel width on these cars is a bit to wide so it makes me lean towards the Mustang II Otherwise it may take years before I can figure out what the parts are and then where to find them. Yes there is a list developed by some early club members for the front suspension but after researching it I have found errors so that leaves me wondering what to do to get this car back on the road.

Frank fixed these issues on the Indra and I have a lot of respect for his ability to build Italian cars faster and more efficiently than the Italians could.

18. 68 torino

68 torino Rookie

Dec 25, 2014
    rockaway twp. nj
    Full Name:
    andrew dlugosz
    find out what the yoke came from first look for casting number i doubt fiat origin
    they have girling brakes / maybe jag ?
    then you will know taper and length of ball joint stem cut fiat ball joint tang off and tig new ball joint at least i would try this before stubbing frame and goiing for mustang2 front end mine did not need ball joints / yes it was a mess lower control arm /yes fiat / but when you look at the way it is attached it leads me to believe they are 2 incompatible parts welded together
    again just a guess but i think i would figure out what the yoke came off of
    that has girling brakes attached to it

19. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    I just received the book, published by Veloce in England, hard bound, 192 pages, lots of color, goes from early efforts of Frank and Paula Reisner right through to the Speedster replicas. It has a forward by Karl Ludvigsen who I think wouldn't write a forward unless he respected the company. I skimmed through the Torino/Italia chapter but couldn't see straight away any discussion of the flaws of the front suspension gradually collapsing under the weight of the engine(s). Frank Reisner himself told me the front end was designed for a smaller lighter weight engine (the Omega had a small block Ford) and couldn't take the weight of the larger engines they had later. On this thread, I was unable to find a common fix for the weak front suspension that everyone agrees on (though Mustang II front suspension was suggested and I know those are used in many a hot rod) So my question is, does anyone else have this book and , if so, did you find a discussion of the flaws, which I missed? I realize it was written with Mrs. Reisner's help and maybe she didn't want to discuss flaws but I think for this brand to get the respect Iso Grifo now has gained (despite rust problems) , there has to be some airing of what it takes to make the car right.

Here's more data on the book , published in 2010. Seems to be about $40-60.

Hardcover: 192 pages
    Publisher: Veloce Publishing (May 1, 2010)
    Language: English
    ISBN-10: 1845842499
    ISBN-13: 978-1845842499
    Product Dimensions: 10.2 x 0.8 x 10.2 inches
    Shipping Weight: 2.7 pounds

20. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    Disappointed in that in the book there was no mention of an easy fix with list of parts that will shore up the weak front suspension. Apparently the present Intermeccanica firm in Vancouver, making Speedster kits, has no interest in making a fix kit for cars that some previous company they owned made many 30-40 years ago . Maybe I am an idealist because modern automakers don't have "fix" kits for flaws they made in their cars decades ago either...

Book Review of ?Intermeccanica: The Story of the Prancing Bull?, by author Andrew McCredie | Car Build Index

21. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Anyone find the clip from the Disney movie that had a yellow Italia convert. in it...
    That was the first time I saw one..

22. velocetwo

velocetwo F1 World Champ

Dec 11, 2006
    Left Coast
    Do you mean Apollo?

23. 68 torino

68 torino Rookie

Dec 25, 2014
    rockaway twp. nj
    Full Name:
    andrew dlugosz
    clip is from
    'the goose that laid the golden egg'

24. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    So cool, many moviemakers back in the day knew 'cool' in their movies, with their choice of cars...right up to Tarantino choosing a Mangusta for the cameo role in killbill.