Interior Removal Question | FerrariChat

Interior Removal Question

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by oldcoin, May 10, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. oldcoin

oldcoin Formula Junior

May 1, 2006
    Reno NV
    Full Name:
    Tony Mitchell
    I am disassembling the interior on my 1984 400i. I have removed the back seats and am trying to get the outboard armrest - cheek assembly off. I have removed the screw that attaches a mounting tang to the rear firewall, but the assembly remains stuck on the top edge and leading edge and I am afraid I will damage the piece if I continue to pull. Is there a hidden or blind fastener that I am not finding? Any help appreciated, Thanks, Tony

2. ricar116

ricar116 Formula Junior

Aug 2, 2005
    Bolivar, Missouri
    Full Name:
    Rick Carr
    I have the ones out on my 365 GT4/2+2 assume they are the same. Mechanical connections. 1. Top rear by the shelf. Sounds like the one you got. 2. Lower front close to leading edge (under carpet). 3. Seatbelt Bolt upper middle of the panel. The leading edge is wrapped/glued. If you are careful pull the leading edge trim off, and unwrap the leather from the leading edge of the body. I used my fingers. Steam might help, but may make the panel wet...you decide. I took mine off without steam. Be patient unwrap. When you want to put back on go to the autoparts store, buy some spray trim headliner/ interior adhesive spray. Coat both parts and wrap it back. After the three fastners are out and the leading edge is unwrapped you should be able to lift/push the Cheek vertically and it should come out. The top edge has a hook shape that hangs on the metal behind the glass. One of mine came out easy...the other I had to take the glass out because the glass installation adhesive black pliable sticky stuff attached itself to the upholstery as well as the glass and kept me from pushing the cheek up to unhook it. Hope this helps. Good luck!
    Rick

3. oldcoin

oldcoin Formula Junior

May 1, 2006
    Reno NV
    Full Name:
    Tony Mitchell
    Rick, Thanks for the tip. the 400i, I now know, has 3 screws hidden under the leather on the leading edge. I have removed these and all is a lot looser. I am having problems still. Does the "B" Pillar trim have to come off first to let this piece come out?

Thanks, tony

4. ricar116

ricar116 Formula Junior

Aug 2, 2005
    Bolivar, Missouri
    Full Name:
    Rick Carr
    Just went out and looked at mine. My "B" Pillar trim if you are referring to leather covered padded trim on the interior. Mine is still on the pillar with the Cheeks removed it is also glued and wrapped. Was your leading edge glued and wrapped? Also the best interior expert that I know on the 400 is Simon Campbell at the 400 registry. I don't know how active he is with his site E-mail him. He lives in London so be aware of the time difference for a reply. Six hours earlier from cdst. If he answers he will definately know the answer. his site is http://www.400register.com I just do not know the subtle differences between the two models interiors. Mine is apart in my shop.
    Rick

5. andrewg

andrewg F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 10, 2002
    Chester, England
    Full Name:
    AndrewG
    It shouldnt need to, the whole assembly once unscrewed and any glue surfices peeled back it should all be able to slowly jiggle loose

6. ricar116

ricar116 Formula Junior

Aug 2, 2005
    Bolivar, Missouri
    Full Name:
    Rick Carr
    I will take pictures of my removed piece today and post, it might help. If I can figure how to post photos
    Rick

7. ricar116

ricar116 Formula Junior

Aug 2, 2005
    Bolivar, Missouri
    Full Name:
    Rick Carr
    #7 ricar116, May 11, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  8. oldcoin

oldcoin Formula Junior

May 1, 2006
    Reno NV
    Full Name:
    Tony Mitchell
    Rick, Thank you for the pictures. The 400i is similar, but a slightly different shape means that the b pillar and c pilar trim must come out first, but the pillar trim will only come out after the head liner, the pieces over lap starting with the headliner and working down to the piece in question. I got the piece partially removed and did what I needed with the chanel still attached. thanks again, Tony