Insuring a vehicle for export | FerrariChat

Insuring a vehicle for export

Discussion in 'Europe' started by 355fiorano, Oct 1, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 355fiorano

355fiorano Formula Junior

Oct 21, 2003
    London
    Full Name:
    Philip
    Can anyone help with any insight. If I sell my car from the UK to someone from Germany, how can he get insurance to drive the car back? Apparently his insurance will not cover him on the VIN and he needs german plates.
    Any help is much appreciated.

2. NoSpeedLimit

NoSpeedLimit Karting

Sep 6, 2013
    Germany has short term plates that are valid for 5 days and can only be used to drive the car to the place where you plan to register it. You only need to get insurance. Within Germany that's no problem and also driving the car from Germany to a place within the EU is possible. But...
    It is not possible to take the license plates and attach it to the car abroad. If the police e.g. in Italy sees a car with these license plates driving direction Germany they can confiscate the car. The Swiss are more relaxed. They are only interested that the car is insured.
    I don't know the situation in the UK.
    The easiest way would be to transport the car by truck.
    An option would be that you drive the car to the German border (to a town with a train station) remove your license plates, the buyer attaches the German ones, drives home and you take the train home.

3. 355fiorano

355fiorano Formula Junior

Oct 21, 2003
    London
    Full Name:
    Philip
    Thanks for the answer. If I am understanding this however these plates are only for Germany and will not be acceptable across Europe. Which means that soemone cannot get these in germany and come over here to put them on and drive the car back to Germany. Is that right? If so then that won't work unfortunately :(

4. NoSpeedLimit

NoSpeedLimit Karting

Sep 6, 2013
    Yes, you are right. Legally you are not allowed to put the plates on a car abroad. However, why not asking someone from the police in LOndon. If they don't see a problem.. The crucial thing is the insurance. You should not drive an uninsured car.