Insurance Company that Pays Claims, Agreed Value | FerrariChat

Insurance Company that Pays Claims, Agreed Value

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by C50, Jul 1, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. C50

C50 Formula 3

Aug 19, 2016
    Can anyone recommend an insurance company with whom they have two-way experience?
    By two-way, I mean they cashed your checks but they also paid out claims promptly.
    Specifically, which insurer pays their claims and also offers agreed/diminished value?

I have Geico and SF and they cash my premium checks promptly but (knock on wood) I've never needed to file a claim. I have some free time next week and figure it's a good time to review all my policies and cross-shop with alternatives.

cwall likes this.
  2. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    I used AIG Private Client Services. Premiums are high, but they pay like a slot machine. In 2004, my house in Florida got hit by a hurricane. The "adjusters" got there right after the bridge opened. One of them pulled me aside and said, "Who are you? We were working Mississippi and got told to drop everything and get over here." I got a check within a couple of weeks.

Thecadster, cwall, 308 milano and 2 others like this.
  3. C50

C50 Formula 3

Aug 19, 2016
    I’ve read all the insurance threads which generally discuss who gets good rates where for what.
    I’m specifically wondering about first-hand experience with claims, and secondarily agreed value.

4. C50

C50 Formula 3

Aug 19, 2016
    Impressive
    Do they also underwrite cars? I couldn’t tell based on their website.

cwall and Texas Forever like this.
  5. C50

C50 Formula 3

Aug 19, 2016
    I should add my own experience with a claim:
    Parking lot fender bender on my 911 insured by Geico. The other driver (insured by State Farm) admitted fault.
    Geico cut checks promptly and communicated with me regularly.
    I hesitate to extrapolate too far since it was the odd scenario where SF was actually footing the bill and the dollars involved were not too many.
    It’s at least another data point.

Texas Forever likes this.
  6. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    I've been an insurance pragmatist for decades. I've never filed an auto insurance claim, ever. So when I got a quote from Hagarty for my 360 that was $2000/year above what I'm paying at USAA, I decided to keep my old fashioned USAA policy and bank the $2k. If I go 5 years without a claim, that's $10k. The car is only worth ~$100k so even if it was totalled and USAA wanted to cheat me, I'd only be out a few grand no matter what. On the other hand, if I never file a claim, that's $10k I can spend on parts and upgrades.

I like the idea of self-insuring, at least for the difference between agreed on value and what USAA will pay. It's a roll of the dice, but that's what life is all about.

Texas Forever likes this.
  7. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    AIG Private Client typically includes everything. I dropped them after I downsized because I no longer owned enough assets to make it worthwhile. (Ah, bliss. I enjoyed getting rid of all my boat anchors.) I used to use Marsh to broker with AIG, but since then they have reorganized, and I lost track of who is what. But this info should get you started.

Jodie Knadler
    [email protected]
    702-804-7308

Thank you,
    Julia Redmond 

Marsh Service Center
    [email protected]
    Office Phone Number:  888-899-1989
    CA License Number 0M89639
    NIPR 18222915

[​IMG]

C50 likes this.
  8. SirPouyan

SirPouyan Karting
    BANNED

Oct 18, 2017
    Full Name:
    SirPouyan
    Yes, I have experience. I use Chubb's premier service (can get the name if you need it) and they pay agreed value, no questions asked (sort of). Helps also to have an astute agent.

Texas Forever and C50 like this.
  9. C50

C50 Formula 3

Aug 19, 2016
    Thanks for the information.
    When you say that it helps to have an astute agent, do you mean the agent that helps you during a claim? Any suggestions on how to identify the quality or how to switch to a different agent if you think you are not receiving adequate assistance?

10. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    One caveat about AIG. They make their money by popping you on the estimated replacement value of your home. Number one, they don't want to deal with homes worth less than $1MM. Number two, they will annual jack up replacement cost which blows up the premium. I had to fight them every year on this.

But, they do pay when there is a claim.

C50 likes this.
  11. Mel Spillman

Mel Spillman Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2012
    Sugar Land, Tx
    Has anyone had any experience with Condon Skelly paying when there is a claim?

12. 7ven11ven

7ven11ven Rookie

Jan 25, 2020
    DFW
    Full Name:
    JASON M
    I was run Off the road in my R8. About 30,000 in damage hitting curb breaking wheels and more. USAA. THey took care of me with no issues. Then my 16 year was in two accidents and they dropped me. They did pay his claims. Now State Farm on all the cars except the 488 which I have with American modern.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Richard G., Texas Forever and C50 like this.
  13. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    CHUBB only for me.
    In December 2013 was broadsided in my brand new, 500 miles only, 991 Turbo S by an old truck with no insurance.
    Car was totalled when adjuster realized it would take up to 7-8 months to repair the car (lack of new parts).
    Got every penny I paid for the car, including the sales tax and even the sales tax credit from my CLS63 traded in.
    My deductible was not taken also.

C50 and Texas Forever like this.
  14. RonH

RonH Formula 3

May 29, 2016
    Newport Coast, California
    Full Name:
    Ron H
    I think it is the nature of insurance companies that all will have issues. However, even though it is big and “bad”, I will give kudos to State Farm in terms of their handling of my claim. I had a CL55 for 10 years. It was totaled when I was T boned. I admitted liability (high school kid hit me driving his mothers car and could have argued 50/50 based on the facts but they obviously did not have a lot of money and I didn’t want to mess with his life). So the accident was on me and was the responsibility of my insurance.

The car was pristine and only had 100K miles on it. However, it was also a Mercedes and their depreciation curves are worse than Ferraris. Even though I hated the answer and the car was incredible, the market place said it was likely a $15 to 20K car. State Farm profusely apologized because they did not have a “book” value for the car since it was an older “specialty” car (note, I did not have a declared value policy). So they on their own initiative sent it out to an independent appraiser. A week later they stroked me a check for $21.5K. Couldn’t be happier.

C50 and Texas Forever like this.
  15. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Does Chubb cover everything? I think their approach is similar to AIG Private Client.

16. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Grundy was outstanding when my Pur Sang Bugatti, a difficult car to insure in the first place, needed a total restoration after a catastrophic facility fire.

I repeat for emphasis: Grundy was outstanding in paying out and making things right.

Matt

LARRYH, C50 and Texas Forever like this.
  17. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Just guessing, they don't have the lowest premiums do they? Point being shopping insurance based on premium quotes can be short sighted.

18. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    No. Grundy was a lot less than my Progressive premiums.

Matt

19. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Wow, good to know.

20. C50

C50 Formula 3

Aug 19, 2016
    DefunctNeurons and Texas Forever like this.
  21. C50

C50 Formula 3

Aug 19, 2016
    I remember reading your thread about that unfortunate scenario. Nice to know Grundy stepped up to the plate. They’re on my short-list to investigate. Thanks for the suggestion.

22. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    I just remembered. After 2008/2009, AIG changed the name to something else, but later changed it back. Also, I believe you have to go with a broker like Marsh.

Once again, when I sold my home to move into my MIL’s home to help take care of her, I got voted off the island because I no longer had a home worth $1MM. YMMV.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

C50 likes this.
  23. Cobraownr

Cobraownr Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 6, 2008
    Edgewater, MD
    Full Name:
    Donald Silawsky
    I have had Hagerty for 12+ years for agreed value coverage for the collectible cars. In that time, I put in two claims. One was for a bent wheel on my 2010 Ferrari 612 Scaglietti OTO courtesy of the lousy roads in NY State during a trip from Maryland to Montreal for the Canadian Grand Prix. The replacement wheel I found was NOS from the UK, so around $3K. Hagerty paid with no questions.

The second claim was for a lost key on my 2005 Ferrari 575 Superamerica. The entire anti-theft engine immobilizer had to be replaced by the local Ferrari dealer. The tab was in the mid $3,000s. Hagerty paid without any questions.

I also have used Hagerty's roadside assistance a number of times to flatbed dead cars. I wasn't totally pleased with the professionalism of some of the flatbed drivers, but all in all the premium (I think it's $150/year) is well worth it.

24. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F