Installing SRI Gold kit today - little help? | Page 36 | FerrariChat

Installing SRI Gold kit today - little help?

Discussion in '348/355' started by ketel, Jul 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tf308

tf308 Formula 3

Dec 14, 2003
    Virginia Beach
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Kai...all the components are in this thread. Everything except the q tips and grease. I'm sure you are smart enough to source them on your own.

2. ketel

ketel Formula 3

Aug 6, 2007
    Sausalito, CA
    Hey, OP here. Thought maybe I'd get back on topic. Coming through. Make a hole...

So, this was a tough day. I took the day off from work to tackle the ECU. Holy Stromboli. All I can say is, I'm writing this from my favorite tequila bar and I'm 3 Coronas in, so bear with me...

The ECU was a nightmare. During research I saw the 348 videos (which are great, by the way) and he said he tackled the ECU plug in 1 hour 20 mins. Wow. He's a rock star. I added a factor of 3 to that estimate and assumed it would take me 4.5 hours. Not even close. By hour 6 I made a critical but easy mistake which had the effect of chucking all my effort and forcing me to start over. Somewhere around plug number 80, with 8 plugs left to go, I mistakenly put a terminal in the wrong hole on the plug. I then inserted three more plugs alongside it before realizing my error. Oh crap. I tried to remove the terminals but the damage was done.

I now have to start over. I have to call Dave tomorrow and order 50 new terminals and a new ECU plug and set aside another 6-8 hours to attack this project.

I am beyond frustrated. This is not an indictment of GCK or Dave. But this should disabuse anyone of the notion that this is a straightforward project. It's a bear. It's also fraught with point-of-no-return decisions at every turn. If you hit a snag you cannot - unlike many DIY projects - simply button the car back up with the faulty part and limp along until another time when you can attend to it. The moment you snip that first wire you are committed. If you can't finish that terminal, your 355 is a boat anchor. That's a lot of pressure.

So, my 355 is now a boat anchor. It will sit there until the FedEx man arrives next week with another bubble wrapped packet of terminals.

Wish me luck. Bartender, another Corona. I'm down a quart.

ketel

3. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Ketel, you will get it, hang in!

And when I concidered doing this I said to myself "do I really want to screw with 150 electrical connectors on a perfectly running car?"

I'm a guy that loves to tear stuff apart but this is not a project that excited me.

I give you credit for hanging in!

4. Kaivball

Kaivball Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2007
    Kalifornia
    But apparently the only one smart enough and actually sell it is Dave Helms...

:)

Got it.

There are the talkers and the doers.

A lot of talkers in this thread.

Kai

5. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    I have part numbers for all the 2 and 3 pin connectors, including new housings, which can be purchased in single units. I have no intent of posting them though. It comes down to about $2/connector. Difference between gold and tin is $0.08. Over 3 pins and the housing are special order in large lots, but they take the same contacts. Haven't looked into the ECU and don't intend to. MY car is a M2.7 and what I find might not apply to a M5.2. A suitable crimping tool can be had for under $200.

6. tf308

tf308 Formula 3

Dec 14, 2003
    Virginia Beach
    Full Name:
    Tim
    99% accurate. I think the talkers will just call at buy the entire kit when the CEL comes on.

The Doer may be proactive and source these connections accordingly.

If you take a pic of the ECU harness (disconnect it) and send a pic to TE (amp) they will identify the connector for you. Next they will tell you the part number for the plastic in the harness. At that point, they will tell you what " modified spring type" JPT connector will fit in the plastic harness ( at this point choose gold, silver, or Tin....but I hope you choose Tin)
    Last step is to order those parts from Mouser, digikey or whoever. Get ready to spend at least 30 cents for each gold connector in this 55 position harness. That's it...ECU done.

Next, you do the same with the other connectors. Like the O2 harness. This time I suggest you use a gold connector on each side. Then repeat with TPS, CTS, etc.

I really hope this does not seem difficult. At a minimum, why wouldn't a DIY at least learn on their o2 connections? Once you are at this point....it will seem far less complicated.

7. GerryD

GerryD Formula 3

May 5, 2010
    North of TO
    Full Name:
    Guido
    You can post all the part numbers you want sweetpea. Dave took a couple of years trying these parts you found. He tested them and they failed. That is why he uses what he does. Theres a reason. Why not put them all together in a box and try and sell them. You sound like you know what your doing. In a couple of years we can hear back from your buyers and see how their cars are running.

8. Terry

Terry Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Cheshire, UK
    Full Name:
    Terry
    It is possible to remove the pins from the new ECU plug if they have been put into the wrong hole. On the new plug if you look closely you can slide the plastic edge which will provide a free passage for one lock tab on the side of the pin. You then use a pin to release the lock tab on the other side of the pin and withdraw from the connector.

BTW, when you slide the plastic edge on the side of the terminal block it will provide a free passage for one lock tab on all pins as it in an integral part of the plug.

Hard to explain but if you look closely at the plug you will see. I will look to see if I have a picture.

9. Terry

Terry Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Cheshire, UK
    Full Name:
    Terry
    #884 Terry, Aug 23, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I have taken a photograph of my old plug.

If you look at the left picture the one tab on every pin is locked because the lock bar (pinkish colour) is in the normal locked position for mating with the ECU.

If you look at the top of the right picture the lock bar is moved to the unlocked position which will provide a clear path for one lock tab. Just a case of using a tool to release the other lock tab on the pin you wish to remove and withdrawing from the back.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Good to know. That way, should I decide to do just that I won't infringe on DH's patent (pending). Sounds like Dave worked by trial and error. Just how many cars did he manage to mess up before he got it right? If these cars were failing in such short time I guess his initial attempts to "fit" the problem actually made it worse than it was when the cars left the factory.

By the way, if you don't know what parts I'm talking about your just blowing by products of combustion out of a bodily orifice. And you really need to think a little more about what you post. You're making Mr. Helms look more like a tinkerer than a talented mechanic. I give him more credit than that.

11. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal

Ketel....PM me when the needed alcohol wears off. If you got apple facetime I can show you how to fix your problem. No need to get more parts. I have an ecu plug 5 ft from me and it is easy to take apart. Have faith you have a lot of support here or with Dave.

12. GerryD

GerryD Formula 3

May 5, 2010
    North of TO
    Full Name:
    Guido
    F-chatters, don't be fooled by this troll. He has more at stake here than he is letting on. Every time this thread seems to settle down, he jumps in and turns it back up a notch with a snide little dig in at Dave. Maybe Ernie has 2 accounts. But for sure there is more here than meets the eye.

13. tf308

tf308 Formula 3

Dec 14, 2003
    Virginia Beach
    Full Name:
    Tim
    GerryD....how many parts do you think exist? These are JPT terminals....look at the TE catalog I posted. These are not unique to Ferrari....BMW used them, so did VW, so did Mercedes.

If I was going to sell something for a $1500, you can sure bet I would lure you with stories of GOLD and difficulty....increased reliability...maybe even eternal youth. I would also need to sell it to a group that is so scared of cambelt failure that they will pull out there motor every 3 years, and bend said pins. Yep...seems like a good business plan to me.

"Aren't you worth it? Isn't your Ferrari worth it? The new Diamond plated connector kit from the stooges....only 3 easy monthly payments of $1995! Tested by the biggest idiots in the business. Call now...operators are waiting!"

14. GerryD

GerryD Formula 3

May 5, 2010
    North of TO
    Full Name:
    Guido
    #889 GerryD, Aug 23, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2013
    Why don't you go...........Fly a kite.....you will make more friends.

15. tf308

tf308 Formula 3

Dec 14, 2003
    Virginia Beach
    Full Name:
    Tim
    GerryD....he has nothing at stake....other than his inability to phathom the endless nonsense you post.

Do we post each and every step to take to change out these sensors? Will you finally be happy?

16. tf308

tf308 Formula 3

Dec 14, 2003
    Virginia Beach
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Terry,

Can you or anyone else please post a better pic of this connector. Preferably a top, side, and rear view?

Let me please use this to send to AMp.....so I can get this ball rolling for all of those that don't know how.

17. GerryD

GerryD Formula 3

May 5, 2010
    North of TO
    Full Name:
    Guido
    Not much nonsense....It just bothers you that we installed something that helps our cars run well. Your like an old lady that keeps telling the little boy that he wont like the chocolate flavored ice that he cant stop licking.

18. tf308

tf308 Formula 3

Dec 14, 2003
    Virginia Beach
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Gerry D......when I think of nonsense......your above post is quite the example once again.

19. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    More supposition? All you have to do is click on my user name to see a little about me and that I've been here a bit longer than you. Don't be so ignorant. The dig was at you. Your posts, your words, are defrocking your hero. As I said, I give Mr. Helms more credit than that.

20. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Nailed it again!

21. tf308

tf308 Formula 3

Dec 14, 2003
    Virginia Beach
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Now we are cooking with gas. Lets see what AMP says....more to come.

22. Kaivball

Kaivball Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2007
    Kalifornia
    Granted, it can be done.

But again, some people like to make home brew and think its as good as Premium brand...

And/or, some prefer to just buy a kit instead of assembling it themselves. Happens all the time in all minds of industries.

But there is no reason to heap venom on the guy that sells the kit only because you haven't thought of it.

Kai

23. Big Lebowski

Big Lebowski Formula Junior

Jan 24, 2013
    Peach state
    Full Name:
    Brownie
    They heap venom on Dave because they are frustrated that they haven't changed anybody's mind with their incredible intellect and engineering knowledge...

24. tf308

tf308 Formula 3

Dec 14, 2003
    Virginia Beach
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Venom?

And you think changing connections in an electrical system is new? The only thing new is mixing gold with tin...and if you want to...go ahead and call someone else. If you want to do what the industry says, then keep reading this post.

Sorry...first you said..."oh no...it just can't be done by a bunch of stooges"....just post a "link"

Well...you are forcing me down a path to truly expose the ignorance of doubters on this thread.

Sometimes the truth hurts stupidity...really badly.