Installing sleeves | FerrariChat

Installing sleeves

Discussion in '308/328' started by ATSAaron, Oct 24, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ATSAaron

ATSAaron Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 1, 2004
    Shady Shores, TX
    Full Name:
    Aaron Bunch
    I'm about to drop new sleeves in my QV block. The manual doesn't really mention anything special, just replace the o-rings and set them in there. Is it really that simple? No additional sealants needed?

Aaron

2. derekw

derekw Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 7, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Derek W
    I used copper rtv on the tops to stop coolant migration into the head gasket but I think it was probably overkill. Do seal all the water passage holes on the head gasket if they aren’t already. My Ellington 2V gaskets didn’t have sealant around all the water passages and several people have has them leak. Future keepers will thank you for ceramic anti-seize on the studs :)

3. ferrariowner

ferrariowner Formula 3

Feb 21, 2014
    Mansfield, TX
    Full Name:
    Ron
    I put mine in dry and haven't had any issues. Derek's advice seems logical.

4. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    A little Swafega hand cleaner is useful to coat the O Rings, helps them slide in. The type without the beads in.it will just wash away when the water starts circulating.

5. Hinecker

Hinecker Formula Junior

Mar 14, 2011
    Hello all,
    Did my 328 without any sealant, just as the good book says. the hydraulic test showed no leaks and now that it's been put back together and running, no leaks so far.
    Keep in mind the way the o rings work, that is, when the water heats up the whole system is pressurized and therefore the o rings are pressed between the sleeve and the block. If it develops a leak, most likely, the block or sleeve are badly pitted right where the o rings seat. If contacting surfaces are ok, it shouldn't leak.

Just my experience,

John.