Installing my new Diff | Page 6 | FerrariChat

Installing my new Diff

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by qwazipsycho, May 17, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. qwazipsycho

qwazipsycho Formula 3

Oct 30, 2004
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Scott
    In a perfect world, yes. But be VERY careful. As you can see by my experience, Ferrari didn't always do it right in the first place. Others have verified this. Therefore, expect it to be wrong and consider yourself very lucky if it's not. Most likely you're going to find SOMETHING wrong.

2. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    on a F you always can find something wrong :(

3. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    We know that an incorrect pattern will lead to excessive tooth loads on the ring/pinion.

Question:

Does an incorrect correct pattern cause any unusual loads that may lead to premature failure of the diff housing?

Perhaps it puts a higher thrust load against the crown gear(?) - which then causes the diff housing to go thru a higher cyclical load with each revolution of the diff.

Thoughts?

Rgds,
    Vincenzo

4. qwazipsycho

qwazipsycho Formula 3

Oct 30, 2004
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Scott
    That depends on which direction the pattern is off. Each direction is going to have different effects. All of them negative but all different. As far as the diff itself? Not likely to affect it. It's pretty stout...as long as it's not welded...

5. qwazipsycho

qwazipsycho Formula 3

Oct 30, 2004
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Scott
    #130 qwazipsycho, Jun 11, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  6. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    is this tool the new mechanical mouse for the computer? :) :)

hope this will work to loosen the last nut? it looks not so strong. for to loose may be it will work, but to tighten later this nut right - I doubt

7. qwazipsycho

qwazipsycho Formula 3

Oct 30, 2004
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Oh ye of little faith. It's actually stronger than it looks. I'll let you know tomorrow.

8. qwazipsycho

qwazipsycho Formula 3

Oct 30, 2004
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Scott
    HA! Mr. F Pimp I laugh in your face and throw dog poop on your shoes.

My homemade tool worked beautifully and will also work to retorque.

Cost? 2 hours of searching scrap metal, measuring, cutting, and welding. No greenbacks were sacrificed during this phase of the project.

9. qwazipsycho

qwazipsycho Formula 3

Oct 30, 2004
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Stuck again. Not sure what the next step is. Do I have to drive the pinion shaft out first? It looks so simple but I just need to know the next piece of the puzzle. I'm a little concerned about damaging something.

I was hoping it would just "fall apart". No such luck.

10. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    #135 vincenzo, Jun 12, 2013
    qwaz...

The thread is getting a bit difficult to follow without more pics. If you have the time, more pics would really help those of us with more questions than answers.

Am trying to figure out which is the main shaft vs the lay shaft in your pic.
    Is the lay shaft & pinon the top or bottom shaft?

Are you trying to pull 'just' the lay shaft or will both need to come out?

Presumably your tool was designed to pull nut #16 on the lay (pinon) shaft.... and now that you have pulled nut#16 you are stuck for ideas.... is that correct?

Thanks for your insight - wish I could offer up some solutions.

Rgds,
    Vincenzo
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. qwazipsycho

qwazipsycho Formula 3

Oct 30, 2004
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Scott
    #136 qwazipsycho, Jun 13, 2013

My tool was for #17 on the mainshaft.

Here's two pics of the gearbox upside down. When looking at these pics the mainshaft is the one one the bottom. The layshaft on top is actually the pinion shaft as you can see the pinion head inside the diff housing in the second pic. Notice the mainshaft sticking out below it? That's where #17 was. Tough place to get into=special tool.

The first pic is the front side of gearbox and you can see both shafts sticking out there. There were the same kind of nuts on those ends as well but much easier to get to.

It's a beautifully simplistic gearbox. I'm looking forward to getting to know it intimately as soon as I can figure out how to take it apart...

12. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    nice that your tool has not broken. so good material? :)

now you need a piece of aluminum and a big hammer ( 2 kg ) and loosen the shaft where the pinion is on. ( no 1 shaft on the parts catalog, layshaft ). there the bearing no 23 is very firmly on the shaft and sometimes it is hard to loosen. so don´t give up :) but take a piece of aluminum that you don´t destroy the end of the shaft where you knock on. this shaft is going out to the backside of the gearbox. as soon as this shaft is loosen you may remove this shaft completly. you may use again the aluminum and the hammer. good what be if you have 4 hands :) two for holding the aluminum and the hammer, the other 2 for holding the shaft when it comes out.

then you may knock a little on the other shaft ( main shaft ) that the bearing no. 19 may fall out. this is a 3 piece bearing. the inside have 2 rings and the outer one may fall out. then you can remove the outer ring.

I can not remember exactly all what to do when you disassemble the gearbox, but once the pinion shaft is loose you may see how it works.

important is as I mentioned before to remove the little allen screw ( 3 mm tool is neded ) for the reverse gear shaft and remove this shaft. otherwise you can not remove the gearbox input shaft right. the reverse gear may fall down, also the shims. you don´t have to care about those. this reverse gear shaft has a female thread. this thread is NOT an usual thread. as I remember it is M10 x 1,25?? but not sure. but you only may put a screw in for not even 1 turn. this shaft usually comes out easy.

good luck :)

13. qwazipsycho

qwazipsycho Formula 3

Oct 30, 2004
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Scott

OK, I just wanted to make sure I'm not going to damage any of the gears by beating on the layshaft. This makes me really nervous.

14. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    Thanks qwaz! That helps a lot.

Rgds,
    Vincenzo

15. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    Instead of beating on the lay shaft - can you get a puller under the pinion?

Just a thought....

Rgds,
    Vincenzo

16. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    you may put a puller under the pinion if there would be some more space. but then may be the teeth will get damaged? too dangerous I would say. also you need then a second place where you support the other part of the puller.

but you also could go with the whole gearbox on a hydraulic press and press this shaft out. but with a press I never did it. only idea from me :)

17. qwazipsycho

qwazipsycho Formula 3

Oct 30, 2004
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I have a press. I'll have to see if I can rig it up or if it's just easier to beat on it.

18. qwazipsycho

qwazipsycho Formula 3

Oct 30, 2004
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Scott
    #143 qwazipsycho, Jun 14, 2013
    I tried the hammer routine on the pinion but it was too scary. Gotta beat on it so hard I'm afraid of damage. So I chucked it up in my press after removing all the studs from the back side of the box. Very little pressure needed to get it moving. Much less stress on the nerves and the gears.

So....it's finally out. Now slowly disassembling several hundred gear parts....Nerve racking to say the least....

19. qwazipsycho

qwazipsycho Formula 3

Oct 30, 2004
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Scott
    #144 qwazipsycho, Jun 14, 2013
    So here's where I ended up for the night. The pinion and all the gears on the layshaft are out.

I'm still having trouble figuring out exactly how to get the mainshaft out.

Hey Romano, Does it go out the back or the front? As you can see right now, I've got it coming out the back but it's stuck.

20. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    hey scott,
    good job :) :)

and this idea from me with the press I think I will do so exactly next time.

about the main shaft: sorry please, I don´t know and also don´t remember. when I see something and don´t know who to get it out I think all over and then it works. but after this it is hard to remember for me. because I mostly do things what I think it is right or it has to go so.

you have removed the reverse shaft? if not you can not get the mainshaft out. I´m not sure but I think the mainshaft I put out to the front??? but not sure :(

if it is not such a hurry I will look on sunday on my gearboxes I have here decomposed. may be I remember when I see?

21. qwazipsycho

qwazipsycho Formula 3

Oct 30, 2004
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Are you referring to the reverse idler gear? I can see how that is causing a problem but not sure how to get it out.

22. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    as I have written here before:

remove the allen screw on the top of the gearbox, you need a 3 mm allen key, then you can pull out the shaft and the gear will fall down. that is all. one of the smaller problems I would say :)

may be you can not find this screw. it is covered with silicon. have a look at the top of the gearbox and you will see. otherwise I will make a photo of the thread on sunday where the screw goes in.

23. qwazipsycho

qwazipsycho Formula 3

Oct 30, 2004
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Scott
    No, I already pulled that screw out. I think I just haven't figured out how to get the shaft to move. Oh wait! It just hit me. I'll try what I think is right and let you know.

thanks!

24. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    on the backside this reverse shaft has a thread. put a screw in and pull all out

25. qwazipsycho

qwazipsycho Formula 3

Oct 30, 2004
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Scott
    That was the part that just hit me. I've been wondering for a while "What are those threads for????"

:) :) :)

Stick with me Romano, you're the only one who's made it this far! Rob and Mel were the last ones hanging on but as soon as it became a gear box thing, Rob bowed out having not been that far, and Mel had someone else build his box. Both great guys but we lost 'em a couple of pages ago.

Kind of amusing - Guy in Hawaii gets help from Austrailia, Holland, and Germany, to fix his Italian car. I feel like breaking into song, "It's a small world after all..."