Installing my new Diff | Page 15 | FerrariChat

Installing my new Diff

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by qwazipsycho, May 17, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    hey scott.
    I think the water for you is going uphill and not downhill :( :( :(

such a guide pin I think a small machine shop can make you such one.

2. uzz32soarer

uzz32soarer F1 Rookie

Sep 9, 2006
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Robert Hayden
    #352 uzz32soarer, Jul 25, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  3. uzz32soarer

uzz32soarer F1 Rookie

Sep 9, 2006
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Robert Hayden
    The last picture shows what to me was a dead giveaway. When I put the flange on, there seemed to be too much depth to where the axle came through. One side was flush and the other was 1.5mm down.

I painted the rear of the flange and then spun it up and obviously the connecting part scratched the marking paint. I just kept grinding down the casting nodule until the marking stopped, all the while hoping that I wouldn't break through into the oil gallery.

4. qwazipsycho

qwazipsycho Formula 3

Oct 30, 2004
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Scott
    You're in Wailea. I'm just down the road in Kihei.

5. qwazipsycho

qwazipsycho Formula 3

Oct 30, 2004
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Yup, it's a bit nerve racking grinding on a $1000 part hoping you're not going to destroy it!

6. qwazipsycho

qwazipsycho Formula 3

Oct 30, 2004
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Tomorrow is the big day.

I hauled the engine and all the parts to where the car is yesterday. Today I moved the car from where it has sat for 4+ months to the lift bay.

I will install first thing tomorrow and then.....let's hope for a happy reunion after 3 years of separation.

I can't wait! Did I screw anything up? Please please please let it be a no.

Oh Ferrari Gods above, please bless my car.....

7. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    before you call the F god you may trust yourself and your own work. and if this is right done you will have no problem.

I wish you good starting and good first drive that nothing will leak :D :) :) and without any wrong noises from the diff

8. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    Scott,
    It seams you were patient enough to get everything correct, so you should have no trouble.

Ago

9. qwazipsycho

qwazipsycho Formula 3

Oct 30, 2004
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Scott
    11AM to 8:30PM with no breaks, nothing but installing. I'm exhausted but I'm almost finished. Just have to bleed the breaks, bleed the clutch, and adjust the shifter. It got dark so I'll have to finish tomorrow.

The good news-It runs. I haven't driven it yet but it runs, normally, and no leaks.

However, I couldn't get it to go into 4th and 5th gear. I was able to get reverse, 1st, 2nd, 3rd. Keep in mind the clutch hasn't been bled and the shifter isn't aligned correctly yet but I thought if I could get 4 gears why not all 6? I'm hoping it's just a matter of adjustment and bleeding but I'm a little concerned.

Tomorrow. 1 more day.

10. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    sounds not bad just now :)
    so good luck tomorrow doing the rest and then: drive and enjoy :)

11. ExigentM

ExigentM Rookie

Jul 18, 2010
    Hamilton, Oh
    Full Name:
    Mark Kile
    Been following your thread, you've really shown patience in getting everything right.

Good luck today!

12. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    Scott,
    Been through the shifter adjust, requires patience. Took me a while had reverse instead of second. I jacked the rear up on jack stands. Got under and adjust. Started car and ran thru the gears and viewed the wheels turning with a mirror. The TR has synchromesh on reverse, so it is easy to miss judge it.

Ago

13. qwazipsycho

qwazipsycho Formula 3

Oct 30, 2004
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Scott
    :( I guess I'm not so smart . Totally depressed, yes. Suicidal, possibly.

It will not shift into 4th or 5th gear. Period. I've taken the cover off the gear box and checked that all linkage is correct. It does go into 1st, reverse, 2nd, 3rd no problem. But those gears are on the layshaft. 4th and 5th are on the mainshaft. What could be wrong? Could I have over tightened the nuts on the ends of the mainshaft? Could I have assembled the synchro wrong? :(

So much time...possibly just to do it all again...:(

I may need to be institutionalized.

...help....

:(

14. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    sad to hear this scott :(

have you tested to put in all the gears before you closed the side cover?

you told us once that you already did this job, that is why I have not told you anything more how to adjust all.

you may not have over tightened the nuts on the ends of the mainshaft ! ! ! even if you used double torque it will get no problem.

now you may find out where the problem is. is it only adjusting problem or a problem inside the gearbox what I don´t think.

so check when the side cover is still off and the shifting from the front is disconnected:

if you can move all 3 shafts front and rear completly
    if not all are moving then loosen the screw for the shifting fork from this one what is not moving and try to move this fork with the sleeve for synchronizer front and back. may be the side rods stop roller ( 103011 ) is not in the right position or blocked?

you may also open the screw from 106223 to test.

but please don´t give up scott ! ! !

an other suggestion: for what you need 4th and 5th gear there? you never may go so fast that you need those gears. or may I be wrong?

just drive the car now and enjoy it and do this work later. you have worked so much until now and I know how frustrating this is. for this I have then also my BB to drive as long as the TR is not running.

15. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    If all the gears worked when the gearbox was on the bench like Romana suggested then it must be an adjustment. When I adjusted mine there is very little rotation movement in the shifter rod to get all 5 gears and reverse. Take a break and try again.

Dave

16. qwazipsycho

qwazipsycho Formula 3

Oct 30, 2004
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I thought I had tested all gears but now that I think about it I can't confirm that I tested 4&5 gears. As I told you this gearbox was perfect before so I wasn't that concerned about it. I have adjusted the linkage while everything was installed in the car before. That much I can handle. That's what I was talking about when I said I had done this before.

Now I have disconnected all the linkage and although the 4/5 sleeve moves back and forth, it isn't moving enough. It never feels like it's trying to slide over the synchro. It's as if it's hitting something solid.

I will read your instructions again Romano and see if there's something in there I haven't tried yet. I have to look up those part numbers you gave me so I know what you're talking about.

There is one more problem that I haven't mentioned yet. I don't think it has anything to do with the shifting problem but my clutch will not release. I completely bled the system and I have a good solid pedal. When the engine is running it won't go into ANY gear. If I try and force it in first or reverse the car starts to roll while my foot is on the clutch. I can deal with a clutch problem later. This 4/5 gear thing is a real heart breaker.

I have a feeling this entire gearbox is going to have to be torn down again because I assembled the mainshaft or the 4/5 syncro wrong.

Sometimes I feel dumber than dirt.

17. qwazipsycho

qwazipsycho Formula 3

Oct 30, 2004
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Romano, I looked up those part numbers and I've already tried loosening all that linkage.

Could I have assembled that syncro wrong?

18. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    the synchro can not assembled wrong, both sides are equal AFAIK?
    I will check tomorrow on one of my disassembled gearboxes what it could be.

so as I understand you now scott:
    you loosened all the shifting forks or the fork for the 4th and 5th gear and you can not move the sleeve where the fork goes in completely to the front and also not to the rear?

when you try to push a little harder, what will happen? the shaft is turning harder then ?

try to loosen also the fork from 2nd and 3rd and move then the sleeve. so you may see how hard it is to shift or to move the sleeve completely to the end, front and back. it takes some force.

the synchronizer insert ( 126201 ) is only going in 3 positions into the sleeve 131801. may be you put the sleeve in wrong position? just now I can only guess :(

I will have a look tomorrow on my shafts and will check.

don´t give up! ! !
    it is only simple technique :) :) but sometimes frustrating technique :( :(
    keep your head up ! ! !

19. qwazipsycho

qwazipsycho Formula 3

Oct 30, 2004
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Yes, I loosened all the linkage for all the gears. when I move the sleeve for R/1 or 2/3 I can feel it start to slide over the synchro hub. The 4/5 sleeve won't.

Please check to see if it's possible that I put the sleeve in the wrong position. Is there any way to resolve that without disassembly??

Thanks Romano! Without you, I would give up!

20. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    could be :( I will check tomorrow and will take some detailed pictures. I have an idea meanwhile but I don´t hope this. otherwise all the same work again :( :(

NO :( :( :( or only driving in 1st to 3rd and reverse

better give up without me than with me :) :) :)

21. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    #371 turbo-joe, Aug 8, 2013
  22. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    #372 turbo-joe, Aug 8, 2013
  23. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    #373 turbo-joe, Aug 8, 2013
  24. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    #374 turbo-joe, Aug 8, 2013
  25. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    I checked here now a lot of possibilities what could get wrong. but this what I think and showed in the pictures could be in my eyes the only way how to do it wrong. otherwise the distance between the sleeve and the synchro must be much larger and can not be installed in the gearbox.
    to fix this problem you may do the same complete work again scott.

so you may decide now for yourself if you want to do this work just now or first drive the car a little in the gear 1-3 and reverse. nothing can go wrong by doing so. I think you are frustrated like never before. so may be it would be good to rest a little?

only an idea from me to drive so as it is.

or start again with the complete job. now you know how long you need for this and can calculate right.
    if you need more info just ask. I try to help as good as I can from here.

really sorry to tell you all those bad news scott. I hope you will not kill me some day if we would meet in person?