IndyCar Thread (post-Indy 500) ***SPOILERS*** | Page 5 | FerrariChat

IndyCar Thread (post-Indy 500) ***SPOILERS***

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by 4re Nut, Jun 1, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Turbopanzer

Turbopanzer F1 World Champ

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    No matter how much polish you throw on it.......it's what it is......and it ain't pretty!!! :D

2. PureEuroM3

PureEuroM3 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 31, 2006
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    The racing has been quite exciting lately but I do agree on the cosmetics of the vehicles.

3. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    The cars are a direct reaction to the tragic loss of Dan Wheldon, made to be safer
    as just as in F-1 after we lost Senna, not so aesthetically pleasing.

However, F-1 introduces new models every year where as we are now in the second year
    of the DW12 and not only are they just as they appeared in 2012, the teams still seem to
    be having a difficult time figuring them out (i.e. Ganassi's recent success tied to use of
    new dampers after their Sebring test).

It would be great if Indy Car could attract different chassis makers such as Reynard and
    Lola and bring about evolutions each year which separates them from the previous year.

The racing has always been good in Indy Car, good close finishes, etc, just not very inspiring
    cars that excite the public as in years past.

Just think, two years ago, Indy Car was actually considering the entire field consist of
    Delta Wings which goes to show how they were grasping at straws.

BHW

4. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    #104 GuyIncognito, Aug 8, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  5. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Even if, the issue isn't to cover the wheels. This is like the NHRA move to reduce the length of track to 1000' for Nitro cars, when the right answer was to restrict the horsepower. While I'm digressing a little, I practically grew up on a drag strip, and I'm just as entertained watching a 4.5 second 1/4 run as I am a 3.9 second run.

The problem with IndyCar has been stated time and again - the cars are too easy to drive. They need FAR less aero and WAY more power so that they aren't flat footed into turns and riding in a pack.

Reduce the number of "Super Speedways" and you'll have plenty more safety without strange looking cars.

6. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    more power and less aero, for sure. however, Barton brings up a good point, and one that has been validated by a few people I know who have driven the DW12: the sweet spot on these cars is very, very small. that's why a damper change took Ganassi from nowhere to dominant...they nailed the sweet spot.

as for speed, RHR's pole at Mid-O last weekend was within a tenth or two of the all-time track record, set IIRC by Gil DeFerran in that wild Penske/Reynard-Honda back in 00 or 01. so these cars aren't necessarily "slow", either.

they're just two-bag-date ugly :(

7. rdefabri

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    I agree they aren't slow, but the idea of more power is so they feather the throttle in turns, putting more focus on driver skill. The driver that manages on / off throttle and sliding better - wins.

Need 800+ HP with less aero.

8. Turbopanzer

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    Wrong. Indy Cars are, were and will be about one thing....Ovals!! Indy, Michigan, Ontario, Pocono, Trenton, Milwaukee and all the rest are what made Indy Car racing. I like road courses & street venues but if it doesn't have a few 2.5 mile super speedways in the mix.....its just boring to say the least. Like it is now.

Something many of you haven't heard lately...[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGqjGyUy4FE]1992 Indy 500 Time Trials - Tom Carnegie calls Roberto Guerrero's Track Record Pole Run - YouTube[/ame]

9. hotsauce

hotsauce Formula Junior

Jan 23, 2011
    around
    How much HP will F1 cars have next year.

10. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Point taken.

The object was to create a car wherein tires would not interlock and send them flying
    as we saw with Kanaan, Helio and sadly Wheldon, etc. on several occasions and this is
    what they came up with.

They ought to be developing and refining the looks of the car while retaining the spirit
    in which it was introduced. After we lost Senna, F-1 reacted with those horrible looking
    cockpit bolsters but they quickly developed into a aesthetically more pleasing appearing
    car within one season to what they have now.

If Indy Car would stop this practice of spec racers and allow one or two more chassis
    manufacturers in, we'd see better looking cars but as there is no competition, things
    remain status quo.

BHW

11. rdefabri

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    I didn't say remove "ovals" - I said "super speedways". My home track was Trenton, one of the best little tracks around (with its back stretch dogleg). I love Pocono, Milwaukee, even Nazareth - they needed to keep those and they blew it.

It's the ultra high-speed, high banked jobbers I don't like. I'm ok with 1 or 2 on the schedule (and of course, Indy), because there's a challenge. However, the move away from the smaller ovals to the high speed tracks a la NASCAR really hurt the series. Too dangerous and pack racing sucks.

12. Turbopanzer

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    For this comment....I will offer you my best scotch!!! I agree, I hate cookie cutter ovals. No challenge to drive them. Same for the equipment setup. Good wrenches get set up cars for pretty much any flat oval. High banks take so-so cars and make them equal with well setup cars.

13. 4re Nut

4re Nut F1 World Champ

Mar 27, 2004
    N of NOLA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    IMS president: IndyCar test coming to road course | MotorSportsTalk

I for one hope it happens.

14. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Just read that too.

Remembering Robin Miller addressing Indy Car running on the road course
    earlier in the year, basically mocking that IMS hired a northeast consulting
    company to research if it was feasible, etc.

His point was, why spend the money hiring a consulting company when all they
    had to do was ask the fans?

Miller's take on it at the time was, why would IMS gamble on this? They risk tarnishing
    their brand even further if they hold the event and no one shows up (IE: a smaller crowd
    than the NASCAR race gets there now).

As for NASCAR at Indy, has it been reported (or is it a rumor) that this year was the
    last time for them at the Brickyard?

BHW

15. yoda

yoda F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2004
    UT
    Flying in to San Fran on Saturday morning and watching the Indycar race Sunday, flying out Monday afternoon. I've never been to an Indy race on a road course so it should be fun.

I haven't been to Sonoma for years, besides the track is there anything else in the area my wife and I should go do?

16. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    This just in: Indy teams hiring tire changers from Russia. ;)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kjj-1L6qeOc]Russian Insurance Scam Compilation - YouTube[/ame]

17. 4re Nut

4re Nut F1 World Champ

Mar 27, 2004
    N of NOLA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    LOL...I love the person running into the side of the 18 wheeler's trailer...too bad they didn't land under a wheel. :rolleyes:

Dixon got a bad deal. If anything that should have been a fine but to cost him the race and points in the title chase...ridiculous.

I think the pit reporter was either reaching for a story that didn't exist or simply misunderstand the Ganassi rep...I don't think he was saying it was "intentional" just a bonehead move by the Penske tire guy to step towards Dixon's car.

18. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    #118 GuyIncognito, Aug 25, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Dixon got hosed, that was a total setup by Penske. worked though, gave Power the win and Helio a nice cushion in the points...

at times a good race, I wish they would use the double apex configuration for turn 7 (that might lower all the dive bomb moves and resulting FCY's), or figure out a way to keep that area local yellow only.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

19. DGS

Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    Aha. The penny just dropped. It was the *GoPro* Indy Sonoma race.

How many people are shopping for dash cams this morning? :p

20. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    The give away for me was the new name for this years race, 'The Samuel Deeds 400'.

21. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    Baltimore race was...interesting. :eek:

I think there's a vast right-wing conspiracy against Dixon (or for Penske/Helio).

congrats to Pagenaud and Newgarden.

22. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    That was a crazy yet exciting race.

23. raider1968

raider1968 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 13, 2008
    NC Mnts & Asheville
    Full Name:
    John E
    Yes, very exciting - Indy ain't dead yet!

24. DGS

Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    Wasn't that an ancient Chinese curse?: "May you live in interesting times." ;)

This is getting to be like watching the bumper cars at the carnival.
    Cue the calliope music. :p

Bad couple of weeks to be a Penske tire changer.

Good result for the birthday girl, though. ;)

25. hotsauce

hotsauce Formula Junior

Jan 23, 2011
    around
    Technically I think it was his "left-wing" that was in question