Indycar "racing" | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Indycar "racing"

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by 11506apollo, Aug 19, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Please - IndyCar (which I can't call it with any seriousness) is crap. Tony George was one of the most inept "leaders" of a major sporting / racing series I can think of, completely hoodwinked by various people to his own detriment.

The answer is so simple, no one will try it. High HP, turbo engines (multiple cylinder configurations), no traction control, P2P, sequential manual shift, steel brakes, limited aero. MAKE THESE GUYS DRIVE THE CAR!!

Problem solved. It's a hell of a lot more fun to watch WSBK or MotoGP than this funeral procession.

2. TeamF1Jr

TeamF1Jr Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
  3. DreamCarrera

DreamCarrera Formula Junior

Oct 25, 2006
    S.E. PA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I agree with Foyt, Kanaan, Mears, Pagenaud, etc...I thought it was a good race. Was it an epic race? No, of course not, but it was better than many here are giving it credit for IMHO.

Although, it was apparently not as exciting as only having two cars left on the lead lap fighting for the win. LOL 600 passes in the race but somehow that is a boring follow the leader race.

4. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    I have to agree.

After reading the post-qualifying posts in here with regard to crashes, all this, I made
    a point to watch the race in its entirety.

It was a good race, as good as racing on an oval could and should be. There was plenty
    of intrigue at the front throughout and good battles on down the order. The duel with
    Kanaan and Rahal was riveting as they were really going for it.

As stated, Pocono has always been a bit of an odd-ball circuit but that is one of the
    things that makes it intriguing. The oddly different turns are unique and the wide
    surface provides some real side by side (sometimes 6 or 7 wide) competition. That
    said, this was the first time seeing an Indy Car race from Pocono since their return.

In the later portions, when Will Power emerged in the lead after being a lap down
    from earlier repairs due to contact, staving off the hard charging Newgarden, Rossi
    and Pagenaud, great stuff. Power, who usually pops out of his car and jumps off the
    side pod fresh as a daisy, was visibly worn out during the winner's interview, so we
    know that was a hard well fought race.

Not sure what the criticism of this was would be. Power came back through the
    vaunted Penske strategy, got himself up with the leaders without the aide of a "Lucky
    Dog" free pass or "Segment" racing a-la other series. He did it through hard racing,
    no gimmicks, working with his team and it was a well deserved victory.

If everyone expects every race to be epic, historic, et.al., then raising those sorts
    of expectations are surely going to lead to disappointment.

Since it is NASCAR's M.O. to promote every race on the calendar as the "Biggest race
    of the year", "It's going to be another classic", etc., let them continue to mislead their
    audience with all the pre-race hype nonsense and they'll continue to let what is left
    of their fan base down.

PS: NBC Sports' coverage was well done. Commentary is right on with Paul Tracy
    and Townsend Bell. The girl in the pit lane with the loud screechy voice gets to be
    a bit annoying but overall, high marks throughout.

BHW

5. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
  6. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Thinking back to the Indy Car thread from this time last year, the series appeared
    to be very much on the ropes. Everything appeared to be negative.

This year, however, that doesn't seem to be the case. Despite the absurdly ugly
    cars, the series still has appeal. Spec cars for the most part, yes, but they're still
    rebuilding from the ashes of the Tony George/CART split debacle.

Amazingly, Tony George still has his supporters and those who thought the IRL
    experiment was great. But, the truth is, the split set American open-wheeled
    racing back twenty plus years just when CART was nearly level with F-1.

The new generation body regulations will be a big step forward. Hopefully, Indy
    Car will see the sense in allowing other chassis builders in to create more interest.
    How about another tire war while we're at it?

Indy Car has the foundation, they just need to keep following through on what they've
    built this year.

It may never be whichever generation we may think was the best again. Racing
    is constantly changing which is what makes it one of the most intriguing sports in the
    world and why there always seems to be something to talk about.

Let's hope the last races are great and the championship is hard fought and fair. American
    open wheeled racing fans deserve no less.

BHW

7. Turbopanzer

Turbopanzer F1 World Champ

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    foundation? What are you smoking? No fan base, no tv fan base, no sponsors, no name drivers, no innovation, no track records, no real racing. Yea...its just what the doctor ordered.

8. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Indy has exactly 2 races

1) Long Beach
    2) The 500

After that no one cares.

9. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    They've overcome the scheduling and other embarrassing nonsense that they had
    during the last couple of years (NOLA and Boston notably) and a lot of other distractions
    which made the series look positively amateurish last year.

Looks to me as though the series has a title sponsor in Verizon, teams are carrying
    full time sponsors at each race with the possible exception of a couple of minnow
    teams.

The cars are ugly, yes. But, they're also fast. Track records have been routinely falling
    in qualifying IIRC. Are they supposed to be doing 300MPH at Indy now? I think we
    may all agree that there has to be a certain limit on speeds in order for the sake of
    safety.

No real racing? Again, I'd point to the Pocono event last weekend. That looked
    plenty real.

No name drivers? That's funny. What do we call a "name" driver? You're telling us
    that guys like Scott Dixon, Helio Castroneves, Will Power, Sebastian Bourdais (returning
    to Gateway this weekend BTW), Tony Kanaan, Joesf Newgarden, Simon Pegenaud,
    Graham Rahal, Ryan Hunter-Reay, et.al. are not worthy drivers?

If these guys are no good, who should be in their places? I would put Dixon among
    the best in the business regardless of category as he is absolutely one of the most bad-ass
    drivers going anywhere.

Because there are no longer names like Foyt, Mears, Unser in the mix, the aforementioned
    are just taking up space? There is an Andretti out there but he has yet to live up to the
    family name and early hype when he got his start. Would we be happier to see holographs
    of Foyt, Mears, Unser, out there going roundy-round instead?

Is Indy Car perfect? Absolutely not. I'm no Indy Car apologist a-la Robin Miller & Co.
    but, it is fair to point out that the series as a whole has improved a great deal this year
    and with the new generation of body work coming next year, the ship is being righted.

And, what I'm smoking is my business. I'm NOT sharing...

BHW

10. tifoso2728

tifoso2728 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Apr 30, 2014
    IL
    Full Name:
    DRM
    Nice post.

Only a few commentators here on F-chat slag IndyCar. Race fans truly appreciate it. Too bad Tony George did his best to kill it back in the '90's and early '00's.

11. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I think Indy has seen both the benefit and the threat of Alonso this year.

The benefit: Great exposure and interest they would never have gotten without him

The threat: More big name "one race" drivers and team take away all the oxygen (PR, sponsorship money, TV time) and leave the room empty when they go back to their regular jobs.

Those left for the rest of the season could be hurt or worse, the sponsors look at it as really a one race event and start to fund it that way.

And the other threat: If Alonso did it again next year, would anyone care? That would mean it was a one trick pony which would mean they are back at square one again.

I do agree the new cars for next year are more attractive and faster "looking". That's a good thing. But they need to look beyond and find ways to attract more fans into the seats beyond Indy and Long Beach. They need innovation. They need an infusion of fresh thinking.

Trust me-- F1 does also but we are talking about Indy here. If you want to save it, you have to change it

12. Edumacate me please. Again, since my interest is waning, I'm not following as close as I used to. The cars are new for next year? I thought they're still gonna be the same ol' DW12s with new body kits..... :confused:

13. greg 19425

greg 19425 Formula 3

Jan 6, 2011
    Wake Forest, NC
    Full Name:
    Greg
    #39 greg 19425, Aug 24, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Long Beach, not so much today. Back in the Ice Age, yes.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    #40 TheMayor, Aug 24, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Next years cars.

Yes, still spec cars unfortunately but with a completely new and much better looking design.

People like to see cool cars go fast.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. Indy, not so much either. This year's did as well as it did 'cause it was 100th (and a bit Alonso, I guess) but other than that, not the sellout it used to be. :shrug:

'Ain't picking on IndyCar; it's happening in every facit of racing.

Ice Age? 30 years ago? :confused: CART did okay there too.... ;)

16. But not just spec still....same exact chassis (DW12) as past few years, no?
    The body means jack....if it's still the 12, it ain't "new". Even (yikes) NASCAR moves along faster.... :eek:

17. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I know the Long Beach city council isn't really happy with the race there. A lot of residents complain and there's questions about how much money the event brings in vs how much it costs others with lost business. I think the organizers actually have to pay for some city residents to move away and into hotels because of the noise.

But it does draw about 180,000 people for the weekend pretty consistently. So track attendance is still high by Indycar standards. Toyota does a huge push to get people to go. I'm not sure how many of these are free tickets from dealers but a lot of people do go to the race.

I haven't been for years but I was there when that picture you showed was taken. :)

18. greg 19425

greg 19425 Formula 3

Jan 6, 2011
    Wake Forest, NC
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Had tickets on Ocean, just before the drop. Had row "1", thought I did so good on the tickets. Only saw helmets drive by, unless I stood up. First F-1 race. Hunt walked right by me with his suit at half mast followed by the best looking young things I've ever seen. What a weekend. :)

19. Turbopanzer

Turbopanzer F1 World Champ

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    #45 Turbopanzer, Aug 27, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2017
    Nothing is perfect. But we still seem to have a problem. Very few watch this. Now lets look at some facts shall we?

1. 20 years of spec racing......the needle hasn't moved for attendance and continues to drop for TV.
    2. No new teams and no new engine manufacturers of any kind.
    3. Sponsors continue to withdraw and teams continue to decline/get eliminated. (Current trend show Ganassi moving back to one car for next year).
    4. Outside of the current F1 drivers who can't find a F1 ride and invade ICS.....what new and exciting talent is in the wings looking to shake up the series? None.....without a checkbook they are simply wanna be's.

While I appreciate you and others love for the sport, I find manufactured excitement to be a bit boring. Yes the new body work is a bit more appealing, it does not change the fact that you are simple putting lipstick on the same pig. With it and the lack of newness and innovation, you simply do not offer a product that reaches a target audience you so desperately seek. Furthermore, you continue to alienate the previous audience that followed CART/USAC for years at a time. At what point do you acknowledge that this simply isn't working and go back to the drawing board and start again? While others may not like my view or opinion, I have learned thru life that admitting to your mistakes and fixing them, you have a far better chances of salvaging your reputation and dignity. ICS is simply destroying both. The tell of the tape will be next years Indy 500 rating and attendance figures. If they again continue to drop, then the nail in the coffin is simply around the corner. New body work won't fix a broken business model. It kinda of reminds me of the boy who puts his finger in the whole of the dike to stop the water. Problem is...the whole damn dike is caving in around them.

20. #46 lorenzobandini, Aug 28, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2017
    (devil's advocate) Why all the hate??? :p ;) :)

21. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    It may be a bit dramatic to state that Indy Car is caving in.

Honestly, the damage done by Tony George & Co. set American open wheeled racing
    back 20+ years and we're only now beginning to see a glimmer of light at the end of
    the tunnel from the debacle. It's a pity that the 900lb gorilla emerged on top from
    the split.

Ganassi is cutting back to a one car team next year? He's going from a four car
    operation to just one? Where has this been reported? If it has been reported, I sure
    haven't seen it. For sure, the loss of Target sponsorship certainly was a big blow but
    Ganassi seems to have survived.

This time last year, yes, I would have agreed 100% with the assumption that Indy Car
    was in serious trouble and that a NASCAR/ISC buyout for pennies on the dollar was all
    but a foregone conclusion.

They seem to be on a better foundation and if/when a few more "name" drivers jump
    over, as we saw when Alonso did Indy, more international attention will come to the
    series and they'll have to throw it open to more chassis and engine manufacturers.

I just don't see Indy Car going down without a fight. Guys like Penske, Ganassi and
    Andretti, et.al. won't let it happen.

BHW

22. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    I haven't seen that either.

It's pretty obvious Kanaan isn't coming back, especially after the Gateway debacle; but as long as Kimball and Chilton bring $$$$ Chip will field cars for them.

23. IamRobG

IamRobG F1 Rookie

Jun 18, 2007
    NY
    IndyCar Up on NBCSN

NBCSN has averaged 474,000 viewers for IndyCar Series racing this season, up 16% from last year (408K) and the network’s highest average on record at this point of the season. Last Sunday’s Iowa race earned a 0.37 final rating and 534,000 viewers, exactly even with last year. Compared to 2015, when the race aired on a Saturday night, ratings increased 28% from a 0.29, but viewership slipped 1% from 541,000.
    Formula 1 Also Up on NBC Networks

Though last weekend, the Formula 1 season has averaged 579,000 viewers on the NBC family of networks — up 16% from last year (498K), with the caveat that last year’s average excludes the Canadian GP, which was preempted from NBC. Last Sunday’s Austrian GP pulled a 0.23 rating and 330,000 viewers on CNBC, up 10% in ratings and 5% in viewership from last year (0.21, 314K). Compared to 2015, when the race aired on NBCSN, viewership fell 37% from 525,000

On the whole both Indy and F1 have been adding more viewers.

24. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    IMO, Halo will hurt F1 viewership. I know it sounds silly but I think it will.