IndyCar Portland | FerrariChat

IndyCar Portland

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by tifoso2728, Sep 1, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tifoso2728

tifoso2728 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Apr 30, 2014
    IL
    Full Name:
    DRM
    Pre-race chat.

I always enjoyed the Portland circuit in the CART heyday of the '90's. Anyone going there live this weekend?

2. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    AntiCar protests? :)

3. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    I was fortunate to go out to Portland to photograph the CART event there in 1997. Interesting track and
    have a great memories of the experience, mainly the rain.

Portland's reputation as being a rainy place is well earned. In the 1997 race, it rained most of the time making
    getting around a bit of a muddy mess. After the race, making my way back to team hospitality, looking a bit
    like a bit of a drowned rat and splattered in mud, everything soaked one of the guys took a look at me and
    said "What happened to you?" "I was working" I replied. It took the entire night of having my photo equipment
    taken apart and laid to air out to dry.

While a pain to work in, rain images are spectacular and some of my best work of the time emerged from that
    race, notably an image of Raul Boesel in the brilliant orange and yellow Brama beer sponsored cars which won
    me "Best Sport Image" at my college reunion photo exhibition later in the year.

Beautiful part of the country though and some good friends out that way, looking forward to the race today.

BHW

Nembo1777 and tifoso2728 like this.
  4. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Wow, sure looked dry out there today. The dust the cars kicked up in the first lap shunt
    and subsequent events, it looked bone dry in areas where in 1997 you'd be up to your
    ankles in mud.

Interesting race, enjoyable to watch vs. the disappointment at Monza today. Love it
    when Sato San wins. But, this championship, which Dixon will win, will certainly
    mark his best championship ever and ensconce him among the best drivers of this
    generation.

BHW

tifoso2728 likes this.
  5. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Typical great late-summer Northwest weather. I always liked the Portland layout, even if there is only one place to pass, unless you're bold enough to pass on the backstretch, which a few drivers were! Hopefully they'll keep the September date.

I like the fact that the first 7 finishers were all on different teams. People may complain about "spec" racing series, which IndyCar certainly is, but it does make for competitive racing.

TeamF1Jr and tifoso2728 like this.
  6. stever

stever F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 18, 2006
    West. Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Steve R
    But....is it spec racing............or 'push to pass', and full course yellows for minor incidents? I haven't watched the race, but attended RA's June race where there were no yellows..................and no racing, either.

Was Portland different?

7. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    I watched the first few laps after Rahal got punted, I turned it off.

8. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    #8 BartonWorkman, Sep 3, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2018
    Rahal got punted off on the first lap. He returned a bit later and did a couple more
    laps. The only one who got away with the first lap shunt was Dixon who emerged
    from the dust like a miracle.

Pity about the opening lap incident when Veach got together with Hinchcliffe and
    causing a multiple-car pile up and extended yellow.

The cars being spec (even though there are two engine manufacturers involved) doesn't
    really take away from the on-track competition. And, as was pointed out when Ferrucci
    came to a halt on the track, Indy Car race control wisely delayed the caution until after
    everyone had the opportunity to get their pit stops in.

Would Indy Car be better if/when more engine and chassis manufactures come in? Absolutely.
    However, the racing is fun to watch and produces unpredictable results which cannot be
    said for F-1 currently.

Sato won from 13th on the grid. Dixon came back from the first lap carnage, had a pit lane
    speed violation and drive through penalty and still finished fifth. In another world class drive,
    Bourdais had a huge shunt during qualifying necessitating an overnight rebuild and came
    back to finish third. Those are great stories.

Portland International Raceway looked in good shape. They've added some elevated
    grandstand seating behind the pits which I don't remember being there before. Crowd looked
    decent, crowded in some areas and plenty of room to spread out in others. Hard to gauge
    the size as the layout of the facility is bit awkward and a river runs right through it. Hoping
    the Indy Car race was a success for them.

BHW

9. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    I believe they stated on TV that the RV spaces were packed to capacity.

10. TeamF1Jr

TeamF1Jr Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    Yeah the report was they could have sold the spaces 2 or 3 times over according to Robin Miller.

11. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
  12. tifoso2728

tifoso2728 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Apr 30, 2014
    IL
    Full Name:
    DRM
    Thanks for posting this. Robin Miller is truly a straight shooter when it comes to reporting, so this carries a lot of weight.

Now, would Green and Savoree like to take a swing at promoting the Milwaukee Mile?

13. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    I'd love to see IndyCar back at the Mile, preferably the weekend after Indy.

is the track/facility in good enough condition to be used?

14. tifoso2728

tifoso2728 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Apr 30, 2014
    IL
    Full Name:
    DRM
    It could use a total repave.

The rest of the facility is top notich. A brand new grandstand with brand new "facilities" was built recently. The place is the Wisconsin Fair State Park, so it is lavishly maintained, no question!

GuyIncognito likes this.
  15. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Sounds as though what Milwaukee needs is a real promoter.

The Andretti Group failed them miserably.

BHW

tifoso2728 likes this.
  16. stever

stever F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 18, 2006
    West. Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Steve R
    There certainly is room for improvement. Road America, for example, has advertised a couple events this year, over several weeks, in the local weekly newspaper. This is NW Wisconsin, 4.5-5 hours away. I have never seen the Milwaukee Mile do this once.
    Others know more about roundy round races than I do, but in the past, both the MN and WI State Fairs hosted a couple of races during their runs. No more.

17. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Back in 2013, I wrote a fairly long, multi-part article about growing up in Sebring titled "Sebring: Evolution of a Tradition"
    (Anamera) highlighting my personal experiences with The Race and airport facilities over the years. This was an opus
    which was culled from my own memories and the assistance of drivers and promoters from over the years, it turned
    into a rather long article.

A guy who worked with the Andretti group reached out to me to inquire if I could do a similar type article about the
    Milwaukee Mile. Hmmmm, well, I didn't grow up in Milwaukee and having never so much as been to the track, I
    couldn't really write such a piece on the evolution of what amounts to the oldest continuously operating track in the
    country with an over 100 year history.

The offer was interesting enough but it would be a seriously huge undertaking and so my reply was sort of "What is
    in it for me?". The Andretti guy's reply was "We'll fly you up and give you tickets to the race". It didn't seem
    like a very good trade-off so I politely declined.

Since being paid to write an article like this wasn't in the cards, I recommended that there must be someone in Milwaukee
    like a track historian who'd have first hand knowledge of the facilities and events over the years or even Robin Miller
    would have some perceptive. But, evidently, no one was willing to do business with the Andretti group so the whole
    notion fizzled.

The Andretti group gained the reputation of demanding huge amounts to put on their events but then did everything
    on the cheap as seen here in Miami when they promoted the Formula E event a couple of years ago and imagine
    this was the case at Milwaukee as well.

BHW