IndyCar @ PIR | FerrariChat

IndyCar @ PIR

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by jcurry, Oct 5, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Anyone been to an IndyCar at PIR? Tracked there for the first time this past Sat with the Porsche Club. Seems it would be an interesting venue. Short track, so lap times are also short, meaning always something happening no matter where you sit. Do they have any in-field seating? Scheduled for next Sept (2021).

2. docster

docster Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 14, 2004
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    David
    I've been to a number of IndyCar races at PIR over the years (including back when it was CART), and always enjoy them. The short track length and lap times do, indeed, promote lots of on-track action, as well as facilitating different tire and pit-stop strategies. Should also note that it can make keeping track of "who's on first" difficult at some points in the race--at least for an old guy like myself!

There have been at least two infield seating areas at recent IndyCar events--one inside T12 (leading onto the front straight), and one inside T1-2-3 (the chicane). The latter is my 2nd favorite viewing area, my favorite being the grandstands on the outside of the T1-2-3 complex.

Definitely recommend attending, and hope you enjoy!

Walt Gamble likes this.
  3. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I could see the chicane being very interesting. The T1-T2 short chute is fairly narrow and then it really widens up from T2-T3. Blow the turn in and could easily get passed in the short stretch up to T4. It was interesting tracking on Sat. Never could get consistent through that area. Would have been much easier with a PDK/DCT than my 3-pdl 951.

4. docster

docster Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 14, 2004
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    David
    Yes, lots of action in the chicane, especially in first few laps, or on restarts. Definitely also takes a while to get the chicane right when tracking or racing--as is optimizing the exit of T7 for the best shot down the back straight. Exit of T12 not as difficult, but still crucial for front straight speed/lap times. DCT/paddles certainly make it easier overall, but getting it right in a three-pedal car is quite satisfying! Keep after it, and enjoy... :)

5. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    How were the ALMS races there?

6. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    i went two years ago and there was wreck on the first or second lap on the chicane

7. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    A friend of mine used to get a suite overlooking the pits every year. Good times!

8. Raconteur

Raconteur F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 19, 2015
    Portlandia, OR
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Attended last 2 events since their return. We had bleacher seats near the top row of T1. The starts are crazy with all the cars bunched. Always expect a few casualties. From our vantage point we’re able to see most of the sweeping turn and parts of the backstretch. Definitely fun times. Looking forward to the next race.

docster, jcurry and pdxjim488 like this.
  9. mclaudio

mclaudio Formula 3

Dec 13, 2003
    Seattle area
    Full Name:
    Claudio
    Good venue. Raced there as an engineer/DAG in CART days. And as driver (Rose Cup, etc.). Agree that chicane is good spot to watch as well as turn leading to straightaway.

10. Il Steeg

Il Steeg Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

The ALMS races were awesome, although my son and I always went to the Friday practices, so we could hang out in the paddock. Fridays seemed to be 'low pressure' and stress for the teams, and drivers and team personnel always seemed more approachable. My son got autographs from, photos with, and talked to SO MANY ALMS/Le Mans/F1 personalities over the years... Reinhold Joest, Wolfgang Ulrich, J.J. Lehto, David Brabham, Jan Magnusson, Derek Bell, Alan McNish, Max Angelleli, Wayne Taylor, Boris Said, Hans Stuck, Johnny O'Connell... Can't remember them all. My son even got to sit in the Champion team's Audi R8 on a Friday between sessions... This past summer, my son put his pictures together, and wrote about his memories of the ALMS days at Portland that was published on the ********** web site.

Great memories!!

11. Il Steeg

Il Steeg Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Don't know why FChat blanked out the web site name.... It rhymes with "thrive bribe".......

12. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    Because silliness that's why.

Awesome, I'll look for it.

Il Steeg likes this.
  13. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    The Capital of The United States of America
    Full Name:
    Willis
    It's good. It's not a perfectly symmetrical oval shape, so it's like an oval road course in that respect.

I prefer the Milwaukee Mile but I guess I'm in the minority as it has a hard time staying on the IndyCar calendar. The "Mile" is almost symmetrical but with very low banking. The CART competitors back in the day would use a road course set up there.

14. Il Steeg

Il Steeg Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

#14 Il Steeg, Nov 8, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2020
  15. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I have no idea what website you guys are talking about.

pdxjim488 and jcurry like this.
  16. Il Steeg

Il Steeg Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Two words: First is: drive. Second word is: tribe. Put those two words together, preceded by a "www" and followed by a ".com". For some reason, when I try to type the URL as a proper URL, Fchat turns it into a bunch of asterisks......

17. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Huh. Never heard of it before-- thanks for the link.

Il Steeg likes this.