Indycar Iowa June 22/23 Night Race | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Indycar Iowa June 22/23 Night Race

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by SMS, Jun 22, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MBFerrari

MBFerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2008
    NoVA
    Full Name:
    Matt B
    #76 MBFerrari, Jul 9, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2012
    So since you say that NASCAR is doing better, are you saying that NASCAR is not a Spec series????

The only difference between those cars is the headlight stickers that they put onto the shell to make it look like a name brand car....

In answer to your question about ratings - they won't improve overnight for Indycar, but they didn't get great ratings in NASCAR overnight either, it took decades, and the debacle that was Champcar and Indycar split will take that long to recover as well.

As far as watching actual on track racing, Indycar rivals anything out there right now. You can dislike it all you want, but that doesn't change what is happening on track.

MB

2. Turbopanzer

Turbopanzer F1 World Champ

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    Keep telling yourself that. Indy Car is in trouble and they know it. You can't sell sponsorship on it and I have been told that the IZOD sponsorship is in serious jeporady. Lousy racing = Lousy numbers. You like it...enjoy it. It may just be the last time you see it.

3. MBFerrari

MBFerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2008
    NoVA
    Full Name:
    Matt B
    I'll save this post to see what your viewpoint is 10 years from now...hell, a few years ago F1 was in such great shape that half of the constructors were talking about breaking away to start thier own series...see you at the Baltimore race in a few months.

MB

4. Turbopanzer

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    You won't be seeing me there. Probably a ALMS race instead. Save the post. Makes for good reading.

5. MBFerrari

MBFerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2008
    NoVA
    Full Name:
    Matt B
    ALMS is the support race for the Baltimore Indy Race :D

MB

6. ZUL8TR

ZUL8TR Formula 3

Feb 12, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    Latest IndyCar 36 is on Ed Carpenter. Derrick Walker is in it too. He discusses how he watches budgets, plans and handles the hiring/firing.

Ed said that having DW running the show allows him to back-off of what an owner would normally do and concentrate more on his driving.

I'd say that's fairly involved.

7. Turbopanzer

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    That means just Saturday only !!! :D

8. ZUL8TR

ZUL8TR Formula 3

Feb 12, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    I'm really loving this Ignore feature.

9. MBFerrari

MBFerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2008
    NoVA
    Full Name:
    Matt B
    That will allow you to avoid the crowds/traffic that will be there on Sunday...much to your chagrin :D

10. Turbopanzer

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    What crowds??? You call 12 people a "crowd" ?? :D

11. hotsauce

hotsauce Formula Junior

Jan 23, 2011
    around
    You do realize what the largest sporting event in the world is right?

Please show me an f1 race that even gets close to 400,000.

12. Turbopanzer

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    Show me an Indy Car race that does 400,000 ? :D

13. Sushimon355

Sushimon355 Formula Junior

May 27, 2009
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Wade
    damn, I can't believe you guys are still going at it. it was kinda funny at first but man, time to just let it go and agree to disagree.

14. hotsauce

hotsauce Formula Junior

Jan 23, 2011
    around
  15. Turbopanzer

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    No... try posting facts not fantasy. Indy does not release it attendance. This years "estimates" was at 220,000 people. Lemans was at 280,000 people. This years British Grand Prix was 125,000 people. Show me a "crapwagon" contest that draws that outside of Indy.

16. SMS

SMS F1 Veteran

Jan 7, 2004
    Indy
    Full Name:
    Bill S.
    Ok, we get it. You hate Indycar racing.

17. Turbopanzer

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    #92 Turbopanzer, Jul 13, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2012
    Wrong, oh yea of little faith. I love Indy Car racing. "Crapwagon 2 The Next Generation" isn't "Indy Car" racing. Indy Cars have a thing called "innovation" , they have a thing called "state of the art", they have something called "speed & handling". This effectively results in "a new track record", "one lap records, "four lap records" and that God awful thing called "competition".

Crapwagons aren't it. You like it? Please do enjoy it. From where I come from they call this form of racing a "spec" series. 33 drones using 33 of the same chassis using 2 engines (3 if the Lotus ever gets it act together) all using the same gearbox running the same tires all using the same aero package. Do you know what real racers call it? BORING!

The "Best" drivers drive the "best" cars. That is how AJ, Al, Bobby, Tom, Johnny, Gordon, Rick, Emmo, Danny, Al jr, & the rest all became "Great" drivers. They drove the "best" cars to the limit. That is how a champion is made. He or she pushes to the limits of the cars performance and drives with determination as he/she beats their "competition". Makes for "great" racing, not mediocrity. Even Will Power when asked what Indy Car needs his reply.....900HP. That pretty much sums up what even current drivers think of their cars.

In closing......Have a nice day! :D

18. MBFerrari

MBFerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2008
    NoVA
    Full Name:
    Matt B
    If that was only 220,000 this year, than the F1 races at Indy that we attended (all of them) had no more than 50,000 people.

No chance there were less than 300k people there this year. No chance. Well, the British GP had that many people show up, it's just that no one could get through the mud puddles to get into the track and actually watch racing...LMAO! - I hear the lines of cars were cool to sit in though because if you listened closely you could hear the cars turning laps inside on track :D:D:D

In any case, this isn't a thread about how many people show up at races, but if there are only going to be 12 people at the Baltimore race, I don't understand why entire sections are already sold out?

MB

19. Turbopanzer

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    Its the promise of free beer!!!! :D

20. MBFerrari

MBFerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2008
    NoVA
    Full Name:
    Matt B
    Free beer would be money! Yuengling? :D

21. Turbopanzer

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    Lager or Dark????? Either way....bottoms up!!! :D

22. hotsauce

hotsauce Formula Junior

Jan 23, 2011
    around
    The Indy 500 is the largest racing event in the world.

There were well over 300K at the track, seating was 90% full and then you need to account for the infield. Not to mention it was, what?, the second hottest raceday ever? I know the numbers and I have them from a reliable source.

I'm still waiting for you to show me an F1 race that is even in the same ballpark.

F1 is a rich mans sport. It's a pride issue, and though i like it, it fails to relate to the everyday person. In all aspects F1 portrays its self as elitist. That starts with the man at the top all the way down to fans at the bottom like you.

23. Turbopanzer

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    #98 Turbopanzer, Jul 16, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2012
    Here....try these zippy !!!:D

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Daily/Issues/2012/06/08/Events-and-Attractions/F1-Montreal.aspx

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2009/06/22/silverstone-attendance-hits-15-year-high-of-310000/

http://newscontent.cctv.com/news.jsp?fileId=138380

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/critics-attendance-figuers-inflated-at-australian-gp/story-fn7q3txe-1226300085706