Indy 500 ***SPOILERS*** | FerrariChat

Indy 500 ***SPOILERS***

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by 4re Nut, May 26, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 4re Nut

4re Nut F1 World Champ

Mar 27, 2004
    N of NOLA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Hunter-Reay in the lead... Rahal crashes with 7 to go... Under caution... Should be fun restart!

2. 4re Nut

4re Nut F1 World Champ

Mar 27, 2004
    N of NOLA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    TK in the lead...

Dario in the wall...

TK wins!

Great story about the medallion!

3. Isobel

Isobel F1 World Champ

Jun 30, 2007
    On a Wave's Chicane
    Full Name:
    Is, Izzy for Australians
    Nice to see Tony finally win the 500 and kudos to the Munoz kid. My Canucks were never in it but not a surprise.

Yellow flag victories though......, THE Worst!

4. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
    This thread is really sad.

2 posts for the Indy 500!

If I were a sponsor,... I'd run.

5. 4re Nut

4re Nut F1 World Champ

Mar 27, 2004
    N of NOLA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Folks are saving themselves for the NASCAR race tonight... 600 miles and a case of Bud should get the posts flyin'! :D

6. yoda

yoda F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2004
    UT
    Pretty good race even with the yellow finish.

7. Turbopanzer

Turbopanzer F1 World Champ

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    All the makings of redneck racing. Beer & stock cars. Throw in the BBQ and your relatives and you can call it home!!!! :D

8. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I don't care what you purists say, yellow flag finishes SUCK.

The solution is easy. Don't count laps under yellow. Today's finish makes watching this thing for over 2 hours an "why in hell did I waste my time watching this" moment.

It doesn't matter who won today. The fans lost.

9. IndyFan

IndyFan Karting

Feb 21, 2010

It's a race of 500 miles.

Part of the drama and strategy is to make sure you're leading during the final laps so if a yellow flag flies for a crash, debris, rain or a herd of hamsters crossing the track, you're leading the race and WIN!!!

10. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    I have wondered over the last few years whether my main man's problem with Indy was him or the car. I'm talking about Ryan Hunter Reay. (I saw a headline that called him Ryan Hunger Reay.) After today, I'm comfortable saying it was the car. He drove a hellva race.

Dale

11. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby

Meh.

Let's say it was a basketball game with 30 seconds left. Would you be OK if the game ended with one team ahead because someone had an ankle sprain?

12. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    We were there, really a spectacular race. Especially compared to the typical F1 parade. Happy to see Tony win, wish Sato did not make his mistake, he would have been in the mix.

But, it felt like someone let the air out of the balloon with a yellow flag finish. IndyCar should learn from NASCAR. They have a method to deal with final lap yellows so the fan is not cheated by not seeing a green flag finish.

I believe Kanaan would have won anyway, but still, there were 6 other drivers that could have made some great moves in two laps.

Nevertheless, this was one really excellent race. The prediction that IndyCar is making a comeback looks promising.

13. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Based on WHAT exactly?

Today's yellow flag finish did more harm than good.

14. IndyFan

IndyFan Karting

Feb 21, 2010

Sorry your analogy is weak. Basketball is a sport based on time. The Indy 500 is a sport based on a specific distance.

15. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    You sound just like an accountant. It's only the result that matters.

It's a sport. Even more so, it's a sport that is supported by fans. Disappoint the fans and you have no more sport.

Don't tell me that people were overwhelmingly happy to see the yellow flag 2 laps to the end. It would be a lie.

16. Wolfgang5150

Wolfgang5150 F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    Sorry mayor; IRL is on the upswing. Yes the yellow flag finish doesn't help; but worldwide interest is growing - the quality of racing is phenomenal. When guys like Will Buxton can't stop talking about it, that should tell a lot. I haven't been to an IRL race in a few years; but i think I'm ready now
    Kevin

17. Turbopanzer

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    Not based on ratings. We will see after the 500. The 500 has always been a stand alone event. After the next few races we shall see if the fans fill the stands and the TV ratings improve. Time will be the telling factor.

18. Wolfgang5150

Wolfgang5150 F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    I Was surprised they don't have a green white checkered finish; NASCAR learned the hard way after one too many finishes under yellow; guaranteed you won't see any more yellow finishes anymore in IRL.
    Kevin

19. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    The IRL has 2 races: Long Beach and Indy. The rest: meh. Won't even be mentioned on page 7 of the newspapers. Most of the time, won't even be mentioned on TV newscasts.

When you say "world wide" you mean south of the border.

20. Turbopanzer

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    Got any facts to support it? Based on current rating....not much change. The Mayor is right. The product is poor and the fans know it is. Hence their reason for forgoing it on TV and at the tracks.

Here.........read.....http://www.forbes.com/sites/chrissmith/2013/05/26/is-an-american-indy-500-win-the-jump-start-indycar-needs/

21. Wolfgang5150

Wolfgang5150 F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    No facts at all; but just a general sense of the quality of racing, and interest based on forums and fans I know. Like I said - as a fan - I haven't been to an indy race in a few years; but I have been increasingly interested in going back. I will probably go to toronto, as its my nearest race. Just one mans opinion.
    Kevin

22. Turbopanzer

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    Honest answer. While different than my own, I respect the fact you enjoy this form of racing. My feeling are quite different to it but the real test comes in time. If the rating continue to falter, a change has to be made or the thing will come to an end. Enjoy the race in Toronto and the rest of the season.

23. Wolfgang5150

Wolfgang5150 F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
  24. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    #24 RP, May 26, 2013
    Last edited: May 26, 2013
    Were you there? I was. You are very obviously wrong.

The reaction of the crowd at the Speedway was pretty much opposite of your negativity.

As I said before, I would hope that IndyCar adapts similar rules to NASCAR's yellow flag finishes, but still, this was one of the most entertaining and truly competitive races I have attended in the last 100 years.

The current rules are the rules, but that does not change the fact that the 2013 Indianapolis 500 was a complete success, and if the reaction of those in attendance is remotely similar to the viewing TV public, this event added many points to IndyCars future. New average speed record and approximately 68 lead changes amongs 14 drivers. 14, how often have you seen that anywhere, even NASCAR. In my opinion, those are great statistics.

25. Turbopanzer

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    Interesting perspective. Hopefully it will translate to attendance increasing as well as increased TV viewership. As for F1.....I also enjoy it. It offers a very wide range on interests & perspectives. In my opinion.....about the best form of racing in the current racing climate. Same for MotoGP.