Industrial Warehouse Converted into Home/Loft Ideas | FerrariChat

Industrial Warehouse Converted into Home/Loft Ideas

Discussion in 'Creative Arts' started by shredder66, Jan 26, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. shredder66

shredder66 Formula Junior

Apr 27, 2006
    Melbourne/Singapore
    Hi guys, was just talking to a friend who was considering looking into this semi-seriously at this stage. Definitely a yuppie thing, essentially a bachelor pad for a 24 year old :)

His general idea is to find an existing/abandoned warehouse and convert it into a home. He basically wants a very open plan interior with no separate rooms, high ceilings, essentially a loft, and the main design theme he wants is a very 'industrial' feel. Think exposed piping, lots of bare concrete/brickwork and metals. We were looking around online and couldn't find anything that really looked exactly like what he's going for. This was the closest thing we could find, and he said this isn't really industrial enough, and still feels a little too 'homey' -

http://design-milk.com/industrial-loft-in-brazil-by-diego-revollo/

Have any of you seen anything that matches the description better? Would love to see some pictures of these types of homes online because I'm sure they already exist! Even just some pictures of houses with a strong 'industrial' theme for inspiration

2. atengku

atengku Rookie

Aug 1, 2011
    Hi there, i moved back to singapore a year ago from the states and have been trying to look for a place of my own. this is exactly what i want to do.. nyc meat packing loft style! anyway, just wanted to know if you friend managed to convert a warehouse into an apartment loft? let me know, i am trying to find a way to convert one myself in singapore, but there are so many freaking laws here! -- az.

3. JeremyJon

JeremyJon F1 Veteran

Jul 28, 2010
    Calgary, Canada
    speaking as a genral contractor, and have done a few loft constructions in past, is have a "very" good look at the condition of the building loft is in, particular the services (water, sewage, electrical) as potential issues can extend from outside the limits of his loft, and force additional costs beyond scope of the renovation

as for industrial, i'd say to him to think more on it, as simply "industrial" has been-there-done-that
    is he a car guy? other tastes? IMO is the direction i'd go...

....maybe '70's shag-van theme? hmmm :) LOL

4. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Check out some Detroit lofts. What you describe is in vogue here (or was before the housing situation).

5. S Brake

S Brake F1 World Champ

Aug 3, 2006
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Dave
  6. ProRallyCodriver

ProRallyCodriver Formula 3

Oct 25, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    Full Name:
    Dave Shindle
    Watch the old Rutger Hauer movie, Wanted Dead or Alive. He had the cool car elevator and a shooting range. Also liked the scene where someone was riding a motorcycle around in his living room.

7. JeremyJon

JeremyJon F1 Veteran

Jul 28, 2010
    Calgary, Canada
    i remember that flick...gene simmons in it too

here's the apartment

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qHISC_q6HI[/ame]

8. nthfinity

nthfinity F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2005
    South East MI
    Full Name:
    Isaac not Issac

My great grandfather's building is used just as such. While it no longer belongs in the family; it is in fantastic shape considering the next door neighbor (Uniroyal)... is falling apart. I posted some photos several years ago. The older building is in better shape :)

9. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
  10. Dincenzo

Dincenzo Formula 3

Oct 11, 2005
    Columbia, SC
    Full Name:
    Adrian
    Appeals to me too. I like the open space. Would be great for living and my art studio. A little paint on the floor would just add to the charm!

11. modena1_2003

modena1_2003 F1 Rookie

Aug 17, 2005
    Full Name:
    Jon
  12. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    I have ALWAYS wanted to do this.

Unfortunately you have to live in the right area. In Cleveland there were a ton of these types of warehouses you could convert. At the time, they were in terrible areas but they were cool and cheap. We used to rent them n college for peanuts. A also have a few friends in Detroit who have them. Very cool stuff.

13. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    There was an old fire station near me that I thought about looking into. It appears someone else has bought it though and is slowly renovating. It would make an amazing place to live with a nice HUGE garage to boot. Oh and I haven't been inside, but it's several stories and likely has a pole in it too. How fun would that be!

14. w3ion

w3ion Rookie

Nov 30, 2011
    Hi guys,
    to share with you a picture of a building at the truly incredible architecture and interior design Ferrari which surpasses imagination,
    ferrari architecture
    what do you think?