Indianapolis questions. | FerrariChat

Indianapolis questions.

Discussion in 'North Central - USA (MI, IN, OH, KY, WV)' started by GrigioGuy, Jun 12, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    Greetings,

We are traveling this summer to see the Dream Cars exhibition at the Indianapolis Museum of Art (Indianapolis Museum of Art | Modern, African & Fine Art, Gardens)

We know nothing about Indianapolis. Any suggestions for inexpensive but safe hotels in the area? Any areas to avoid? We found a very cheap flight + hotel deal with the hotel being in Castleton.

Anything else to look at while there? I've already done the Indy Speedway Museum before.

Thanks

2. brian.s

brian.s F1 Rookie
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 3, 2003
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Well worth the trip to the IMA. There is the Eiteljorg museum which is about native american heritage, nearby are the Indiana State and NCAA museum/Hall of Fame. You can tour the Lucas Oil Stadium, several short tracks in the area, take in a Sprint car race in Kokomo or Putnamville. Rolls Royce have a small museum located on Indpls Airport grounds. Downtown Zionsville is interesting, brick paved roads, good eating and the oldest Bentley dealer in the US.

Castleton is safe as any, plenty of eateries around and traffic, avoid 16th street after dark east of the Speedway pretty much to Downtown..............

3. ZUL8TR

ZUL8TR Formula 3

Feb 12, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    We saw the Dream Car exhibit just after it first opened. Make sure you do the free audio tour. It has a bit more information than what is at each vehicle.

The rest of the IMA is nice. They have several exhibits occurring right now. You could burn several days there.

Downtown Indy has a ton of great places to eat. The craft beer scene has exploded with many excellent choices.

The Dallara IndyCar factory located in Speedway is open for tours.

If you really want to have a Hoosier experience, then you must eat a breaded pork tenderloin sandwich. If you are staying in the Castleton area, then Sahms on Allisonville Rd in Fishers, just south of 116th street, is very good. The same for Dawson's on Main St in Speedway.

ST Elmo's Steakhouse is world famous. The shrimp cocktail is a must try.

Lots of great eats along Massachusetts (Mass) Ave. Bru Burger, Pizzology, R Bistro are just a few.

Tell us what you are looking for and folks might better be able to point you in the right direction.

4. AxerJk

AxerJk Formula 3

Jan 28, 2009
    Livonia, MI
    Full Name:
    Chris Ashworth
    WOW!! I am so glad you posted this, I must visit that museum now! I have been wanting to see the Betone Stratos Zero for quite some time now. I think I am going to make arrangements right now. Thanks!

Chris

5. Scott85

Scott85 Formula 3

Dec 16, 2000
    Dayton , OH
    I am definitely going to make a trip up there now.

6. AxerJk

AxerJk Formula 3

Jan 28, 2009
    Livonia, MI
    Full Name:
    Chris Ashworth
    Just went today (well, technically yesterday) and it was awesome!! The cars on display were spectacular!

Just a note for those who are going: they are very strict about photography there. Photography IS allowed, as long as you are not using flash photography or video cameras. (Even if you are only taking pictures, video cameras are not allowed there.) Tripods, multiple lenses, lighting, ect are not allowed either. Be sure to read their policies on photography here: Photography Policies | Indianapolis Museum of Art
    I would hate for someone to make the trip there and not be able to take pictures!

Chris

7. brian.s

brian.s F1 Rookie
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 3, 2003
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Brian
    They were very strict about proximity to the displays too, trying to peek around at specific details bought a couple of "Sir, .......". Unfortunate because the details are where the intrigue lays for me. Hard to beat the Bugatti and Ferrari though......

8. AxerJk

AxerJk Formula 3

Jan 28, 2009
    Livonia, MI
    Full Name:
    Chris Ashworth
    That is true too. One of the workers there was telling me that a lady was leaning over to see the details of a car and she slipped and fell on the car.

Chris

9. Scott85

Scott85 Formula 3

Dec 16, 2000
    Dayton , OH
    Good to know about the photography. Did you have to reserve your tickets in advance to get one of the 3:30 viewing times ? How many cars are on display ?

10. AxerJk

AxerJk Formula 3

Jan 28, 2009
    Livonia, MI
    Full Name:
    Chris Ashworth
    I just bought my ticket right at the door, no problems.

There were about 16 cars on display.

Chris