Impressionist reproduction art | FerrariChat

Impressionist reproduction art

Discussion in 'Creative Arts' started by speedy_sam, Nov 3, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. speedy_sam

speedy_sam F1 Veteran

Jul 13, 2004
    TX
    Full Name:
    Sameer
    I am a fan of Impressionist art. I want to buy a reproduction of a Van Gogh/Monet/Renoir for my house. Real stuff is way out of my league obviously! :)

I would prefer an oil/watercolor painting with some texture/3 dimensionality.

Have any of you bought something like this? Any recommended sites?

2. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Sam,

Why not just buy a lesser known artist? That way you an original XXX as opposed to a knock-off YYY. I've bought stuff by an artist that was in Jackson Pollock's circle (though this guy's stuff look's more like Matisse's) for less than the cost of the frame it was in.

There's tons of 'known' artists and artwork that are great but not expensive.

Regards,

Art S.

3. speedy_sam

speedy_sam F1 Veteran

Jul 13, 2004
    TX
    Full Name:
    Sameer
    Art - I will keep an open mind. Maybe I can find something new that I like.

The reason I was looking for repros were that there were some works that really connected with me - particularly starry night, sunflowers, etc. It would give me a thrill to see it everyday even if was not genuine.

4. Innovativethinker

Innovativethinker F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2009
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Mark Smith
    Buy original artwork. In the end you will enjoy it more.

5. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Sam,

If the piece means something to you, then by all means, buy a good copy.

That said, there is a ton of art out there that isn't 'name brand' but is just as good and for the same money as a good copy, you get an original piece of art on your wall.

Go on line, find some local auction houses that sell art and when you see something you like in the catalog, swing by and see if you like it person. If so, bid. If you are not confident bring along an art or art history student from a local school, they should be able to guide you to quality. I'm not kidding when I said that I bought a painting that I liked by a known artist for the cost of the frame it was in.

The only caution is that I wouldn't buy art unless I saw it in person - I've frequently been surprised by the difference between an internet picture and reality.

Regards,

Art S.