importing cars to canada | FerrariChat

importing cars to canada

Discussion in 'Canada' started by ross, Dec 11, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    anybody on here a broker or able to help me with this?
    wanting to send my swiss car to canada. do i need a canadian address?

2. blackcamaro

blackcamaro Rookie

Jan 15, 2006
    Is the car newer then 15 years old? If it is then being a European spec vehicle it isn't admissible for import into Canada. If the vehicle is over 15 years old then I understand the process to be fairly easy.

Registrar of Imported Vehicles is the website for the registar of imported vehicles where you can find further information.

3. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    its a 2001 456mgt, swiss spec. so next year it will be 15 years old.
    i am not canadian, i do not have a canadian address, or a canadian drivers license.
    i have canadian friends that can provide an address if i need it.

i understand that there are brokers that do this sort of thing.

4. 1turbobrick

1turbobrick Karting

Nov 29, 2011
    Calgary, Alberta
    Full Name:
    Dale W
    It must be 15 years old and it goes by build date, not model year. If it's newer than that it will not be allowed in. There are not brokers who do this sort of thing. It's pretty black and white.

5. treedee3d

treedee3d F1 Rookie

Apr 1, 2011
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Fab
    Try amerxport.com

6. red3555gtb

red3555gtb Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 15, 2006
    Woodbridge/Ontario
    Full Name:
    Rocco
    What???

7. URAS

URAS Formula Junior

Oct 17, 2014
    Canada
    Full Name:
    vince
    I have imported many vehicles in my lifetime, from
    States, Europe, and in the process of one from Asia. Once over 15 years from build date, relatively easy process. Get clearance form from country of origin. Once it arrives in canada, you meet it at customs to get the Canadian form completed and stamped. You pay the hst part. Once you register in the province of destination the pst part. If there is no one to collect at point of disembarkation, you need an importer to take care of the paperwork. You need an address and name of who the importer is (it could be you - you do not need to be a resident). A car can be registered without a driver license, it is just given a file number - same as if it was a corporation who was the legal owner. The Customs website lists all the details. This is one area our govt has made relatively easy

8. zudnic

zudnic Formula 3

Nov 13, 2014
    Vancouver
    #8 zudnic, Dec 13, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2015
    Are you just bringing it to Canada to drive or are you leaving it in Canada and registering it in Canada? Different rules depending on what you are doing.

If you plan to leave it in Canada. The border doesn't care about addresses in Canada, they don't do the registration. If its 15 years old, its easy to bring in. The only thing that can make a 15 year or older car inadmissible is if its been modified from its original specification. Say you add a supercharger, that would make it inadmissible. If you are moving to Canada, or even a Canadian returning from legally living abroad over a year. The duty and taxes in most cases don't apply.

Customs says:"Settlers and Former Residents can include the following personal and household effects in their duty- and tax-free entitlement:
    •clothing and linen;
    •furniture;
    •furnishings;
    •appliances;
    •silverware;
    •jewellery;
    •antiques;
    •family heirlooms;
    •private collections of coins, stamps and art;
    •personal computers;
    •books;
    •musical instruments;
    •hobby tools and other hobby items;
    •personal vehicles;
    •pleasure boats and the trailers to carry them (trailers are subject to Transport Canada requirements);
    •mobile trailers, not exceeding 2.6 metres (9 feet) in width, that the owner is capable of moving on his or her own;
    •utility trailers;
    •motor homes;
    •private aircraft; and
    •tool sheds or garages that do not attach to or form part of a dwelling.
    "

When I lived in the states for seven years on my return I didn't have to pay duties on several vehicles and also didn't pay sales tax when registering in my province. You might need more then a visitor visa to do this.

9. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    #9 samsaprunoff, Dec 13, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Good day Ross,

The above information presented bu Uras is true for vehicles 15 years or older (based upon the vehicle's production date). If the vehicle is 14 years and younger, then the car must go through the Registrar of Imported Vehicles (Registrar of Imported Vehicles). The RIV website has a downloadable list that will provide you with a list of admissible vehicles and any modification that may be needed for the car(Registrar of Imported Vehicles - Vehicle Admissibility). This is assuming that the importer wishes to register and drive the car within Canada... If not, then one could bring in the car on a temporary bond (max 1 year I believe)... but the car could not be driven on public roads nor registered during its stay.

Also, there are no special customs brokers that you need to use. There are some that do car importation more often, but all licensed customs brokers can perform the work needed. Typically the cost is not very high... $200-$300 the last time I checked.

In order to mitigate the hassle of the RIV program and given that the car is a 2001 I would wait until next year (month and date of the car's manufacture date)... This will save the importer a lot of issues and cost.

Cheers,

Sam
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. zudnic

zudnic Formula 3

Nov 13, 2014
    Vancouver
    #10 zudnic, Dec 13, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2015
    If he's a visitor he can import for a year and drive it on the foreign registration. Just like an American can. Most of the info listed here is for Canadians living in Canada. An immigrant or visitor is totally different. If he imported for a year as a visitor, he can even do it with a non conforming car and drive here.

To register in some provinces you need a drivers license, even a corporation. In British Columbia, if you register it in a corporate name, you still need to list a primary BC licensed driver on the insurance and registration.

Federal law says: "No. Section 7(1)(b) of the Motor Vehicle Safety Act (MVSA), allows a visitor to temporarily enter Canada with a motor vehicle without complying with the MVSA if the vehicle is used only by a visitor to Canada or a person passing through Canada en route to another country.

Notes:
    1.You alone may use the vehicle.
    2.Any change in your status, such as receiving permanent residency in Canada, may make your vehicle inadmissible and you will be required to export or destroy it.
    3.You may not sell or gift the vehicle while in Canada.
    4.The vehicle cannot remain in Canada longer than the time limits allowed under your temporary entry."

Visiting you are not "importing". If the car is staying in Canada. It needs to be "imported" and the MVSA applies.

11. zudnic

zudnic Formula 3

Nov 13, 2014
    Vancouver
    More info for visitors: "Declaring a vehicle is optional for temporary residents. It is recommended that you declare your vehicle as part of your personal and household effects upon arrival to Canada if you have been granted a temporary residency authorization that exceeds three months during which you will need to license the vehicle in Canada during your stay.

Canadian Border Services Agency (CBSA) officials will apply section 7(1)(b) of the Motor Vehicle Safety Act (MVSA) which means that you are considered a visitor and the vehicle does not have to comply with the MVSA and provide you with a formal vehicle import declaration outlining the temporary nature of the vehicle’s entry. This declaration known as the Vehicle Import Form – Form-1 is necessary for licensing your vehicle during your temporary residency in Canada.

Notes:
    1.You alone may use the vehicle.
    2.Any change in your status, such as receiving permanent residency in Canada, may make your vehicle inadmissible and you will be required to export or destroy it.
    3.You may not sell or gift the vehicle while in Canada.
    4.The vehicle cannot remain in Canada longer than the time limits listed on the work permit, student visa or any other Customs authorization.

Information for declaring personal and household effects for temporary residents is available at the CBSA"

We have Chinese on student visa's with Chinese market cars ie European spec Ferraris and Lamborghini's!

12. 1turbobrick

1turbobrick Karting

Nov 29, 2011
    Calgary, Alberta
    Full Name:
    Dale W
    The OP stated there are brokers "for this sort of thing", implying there would be brokers who can somehow circumvent the 15 year rule for importing cars. There aren't. There are certainly brokers who can assist in doing all the paperwork to bring in a legal car. I use one regularly.

This is only true for vehicles being imported from the US. The 15 year rule applies to vehicles from anywhere else. I've brought 10 cars in from Japan in the last year and believe me, if I could bring something newer than 15 years, I would. Of course, all a moot point if the OP waits until the car has its 15th birthday...

As has been pointed out, the rules are certainly different for visitors bringing car in for a specified period of time while they are in the country. Unless I missed it, the OP failed to mention whether he wanted to import permanently or only while visiting.

13. zudnic

zudnic Formula 3

Nov 13, 2014
    Vancouver
    Oh if its permanent, the OP would need to be a permanent resident of Canada. Or create a Canadian corporation, sell the car to the company and the corporation imports it. You'd pay duty and sales tax when registering it. You could also sell it to a Canadian friend and they import it.

If you are an American citizen, you'll have to do one of the above. Bill Gates tried getting his 959 here in the 80's and couldn't do it. If he was German he could have!

14. drkam6

drkam6 Rookie

Feb 3, 2016
    Canada
    I'm interested in buying a vehicle located in NW Germany.
    Could anyone please help in checking it out, as I don't have any contacts down there.
    I'm located in Canada.
    I appreciate your help.

15. zudnic

zudnic Formula 3

Nov 13, 2014
    Vancouver
    Like the U.S. you can bring a non conforming car newer then 15 years in, you need to modify it to meet the MVSA. Very expensive and not recommended. A guy in Vancouver has a Noble, considered a kit car and considered not importable by RIV unless it is older the 15 years. He spent a fortune bringing it into compliance. There is also a company importing Caterham's into Canada. Non conforming cars can be done, its is near impossible to do.

For those buying U.S. cars or have former U.S. market cars. Make sure you keep one or all of the following, a U.S. title, a U.S. registration or the export documents from U.S. customs. If you don't have one of these, the car can't return to the U.S. duty free now.

16. SpyderGT

SpyderGT Formula Junior

May 15, 2005
    Vancouver, BC
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Thanks for the information. Good to know for those of us who imported cars from the US and might one day wish to work with a US buyer. Jon

17. uhn2000

uhn2000 Formula 3

Oct 15, 2011
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Joe
  18. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    ok. so here is the latest.
    i have a friend who has a company in halifax, and he has agreed to 'import' the car as a company car, and register it in canada. i will then have permission to use the car wherever i like.

but he does not want to be bothered with the hassle. and i am very far away from halifax. so i need a broker, or somebody, who will take this process in hand and get it done for me. i can get the documents needed in switzerland, and put it on a boat, but i just cannot handle all of the details.

what company can help me get this done?

19. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    well i found somebody to help me with the importation process.
    wow! you canadians have a bunch of taxes !
    overall, they add up to about 20% of the value of the car.
    i suppose thats an improvement on not being able to import it at all, but wow!

20. zudnic

zudnic Formula 3

Nov 13, 2014
    Vancouver
    Its tough to do. I left an American registered car in the U.S. because its a hassle. But if you can get a NAFTA visa its very easy. Just drive in like any other car!

NAFTA visa's are easier then people think: TN NAFTA Home Page: A U.S. Immigration Permit For Canadians

In fact a lot of business stuff can be done without the visa's and you can live in the U.S. without the visa too. If the middle class here knew how easy it was to live and conduct business in the U.S., the drama teacher and his trained seals would have a major exodus on their hands! I digress with the NAFTA visa in your passport you don't even have to declare a corporate registered vehicle. You just drive on in.

21. mwarrior

mwarrior Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 18, 2004
    Ontario and Texas
    Full Name:
    Gagan P
    Depends on the situation. As zudnic said, NAFTA (TN) visa is the best route. However, your post was a bit confusing. The way I'm reading it, you live/work in Toronto but would like to bring the US car up to Canada to drive, and send it back. If that's the case there could be issues.

However, with the TN, and if you're working in the US (TN proves status unless you have dual citizenship), and get a US based license, you shouldn't have issues, especially if it's just a few months a year.

Most newspaper articles are based on what people assume, not people who've actually done it for years :)

22. uhn2000

uhn2000 Formula 3

Oct 15, 2011
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Very cool, just came back to this thread - really need to work on this! Nafta stuff is super duper!