Importing a Renault Megane into the US | FerrariChat

Importing a Renault Megane into the US

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by tiara4300, Oct 31, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tiara4300

tiara4300 Formula Junior

Feb 27, 2005
    miami ,fl.
    Full Name:
    Adam
    I've been traveling in Europe and have become quite fond of my Renault Megane sport turbo diesel rental car. I am seriously considering bringing one back home to Florida with me. I think I have all of the obvious issues covered. Tell me if I have missed something. First off I am a dealer so I have dealer plates to drive on. I own a shop that prepares race cars so I can tell customs that the car will be prepped for off road use. If it becomes a real problem I always have the option of exporting it to the islands or South America. I'm not worried about reselling the car, its just a novelty to have around.Parts for service seem pretty easy to come by and I'll bring home a bunch of filters and brake pads. Anyone have any insight into what I will be facing with duty or import taxes. Will customs give me a hard time or will it be a straightforward pay my freight and pick it up at the port. Also anyone own one in Europe and can point me towards the sportiest highest horsepower diesel variant of the Megane model. Any help will be appreciated. thanks

2. walnut

walnut F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 14, 2006
    Maryland, USA
    Full Name:
    Rich
    take the engine/transmission out of it and ship them seperate from the chassis, like, in a completely different container. i've heard from a number of people that you have a lot less issues with customs when the car obviously can't be driven (pretty sure this is who the first Nobles were imported into the US, they ship you the chassis, and you source the engine, through them, from Ford racing and have it installed when they both end up at your garage).

good luck, they definitely are nice cars.

3. club0

club0 Formula Junior

Feb 22, 2004
    Helsinki, Finland
    As a European (you know I see them ALL the time) I must say: think twice before going for a Renault.. :) Just kidding, my cousin had a turbo diesel Megane, it was okay. It just seems weird to me that someone would like to import a Megane to the States...

4. dongerdude

dongerdude Formula 3

Mar 17, 2006
    Full Name:
    Carl
    I was thinking that - is it just the novelty value of having something that other people don't have, or is there some other reason why you want the Megane?

5. tiara4300

tiara4300 Formula Junior

Feb 27, 2005
    miami ,fl.
    Full Name:
    Adam
    I know there is no good reason for it, I just love the shape of the car.The big fenders and the bulge in the back are pleasing to my eye. I had an R5 Turbo for a while and I'm a Citroen buff. So I just feel like having the only one in Miami for my wife to get groceries in. I just was wondering if there was a really hot sport model with the diesel engine.

6. artn

artn Karting

Mar 2, 2004

Wasn't the new for 2007 Nissan Versa based on the Megane?

I am sure it would be difficult to replicate all of the aspects of the car you like, but maybe you can selectively modify the stuff you like the best? (sort of how the import tuner crowd would add bits from the JDM versions....)

How about bringing in the hot versions of the clio? That's would be fun...

7. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Yeah, this is so, so, so weird!!!

8. ParhamK

ParhamK Formula Junior

Nov 14, 2005
    Sweden, Uppsala
    Full Name:
    Parham K.
    I have a tendency where everytime I see a megane on the road I have too repeat in my head :"magaaaannnn, magaaannn" in a french accent.

Im not trying to be funny, I really do.

I cant even understand why you want to import a megane and not get another R5 turbo.

9. Pav

Pav Formula 3
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 18, 2006
    Warsaw, Poland
    Full Name:
    Michal
  10. tiara4300

tiara4300 Formula Junior

Feb 27, 2005
    miami ,fl.
    Full Name:
    Adam

The R5 was a total headache, no A/C, no parts, no highway speeds.The Megane is cool looking, somewhat modern luxuries, and best of all a small turbo diesel. I guess I could just buy a Jetta, but that kind of defeats the point.I'm not looking for opinions on the car itself, Its probably a POS french sled, but I'l deal with that. Anyone have any real advice on dealing with customs, duties and so on????

11. Pav

Pav Formula 3
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 18, 2006
    Warsaw, Poland
    Full Name:
    Michal
    Call G&K. They will be more than helpful for the request. They will explain you the deal with customs and how you could use your garage status for this vehicle.
    http://www.gnkauto.com/

12. ParhamK

ParhamK Formula Junior

Nov 14, 2005
    Sweden, Uppsala
    Full Name:
    Parham K.
    Yeah well sometimes you fall in love with some cars that are totally boring and normal for somebody else. Personally I have a secret love affair with a peugeot 205 GTI that I wish to buy someday when I get some clearence in my garage.

Cant help you how to get the car through customs and so on since I know nothing about the US car import laws etc since I live in Sweden. But im sure you´ll get tons of help from the Fchat community.

13. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    I was just quoted $4500 to import a different car from Europe by ship, $7500 air.

14. eholody

eholody Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Montreal, Quebec
    If I remember correctly, they also have them in Mexico. That might save a great deal in shipping expenses, but it also might precipitate an entirely new set of import headaches.

15. Pav

Pav Formula 3
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 18, 2006
    Warsaw, Poland
    Full Name:
    Michal
    Not in diesel and poorly equiped compared to what you can get in Europe.

16. Testi

Testi Rookie

Jun 14, 2021

Hello!!

I’m currently in a similar situation. I plan to do my master in miami in 2 years time and I’m planning to stay there. Is it possible to import the megane to the US?

Attached Files: