Importing a Car from Ontario to Quebec | FerrariChat

Importing a Car from Ontario to Quebec

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Gangsta, Nov 5, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Gangsta

Gangsta Karting

Oct 20, 2013
    Montreal, QC
    Hi,

I have questions regarding importing a car from Ontario to Quebec. Below is what I know from SAAQ:
    - buy the car
    - get it inspected by authorized inspection SAAQ approved
    - insure the car with SAAQ
    - enjoy the car!

However, I am not sure if I have to pay taxes in Ontario or in Quebec or both, given the fact the rates are different (there is no TVQ in Ontario)?

Does it matter if I purchase the car from a dealership or a private seller?

A little guidance will be appreciated!

Thanks!

2. UpNorth

UpNorth Formula 3
    Owner

Sep 30, 2006
    Quebec, Canada
    Full Name:
    Francois
    In 2009 IIRC I paid TPS to the dealer in Toronto. The car was then transported to Québec City at the SAAQ inspection site. There I got, after some problems, the seal of approval and window sticker. Went by foot to the SAAQ counter, paid the TVQ there and then got my plates. But that's all from memory, not 100% sure...Good luck!

3. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    If you buy from a dealer you will have to pay GST 5%. You can avoid to pay PST 8%(HST 5%+8%=13%) in Ontario if the dealer accept to do it. They have a provincial rule that say they can sell a car out of province and don't charge the PST if the buyer can provide a proof of transfer to another province within a week of the sale. You can transfer the car BEFORE the SAAQ inspection but you will not be able to drive it until you present the inspection. Also make sure you can prove the weight of the car by a weight station certificate or an official book that show it.

New rule from SAAQ for taxes value of the car. You will have to give them your insurance contract as a proof of insurance value in the avenant 19 on it. This is their NEW way of valuating the DELUXE automobiles. Appraisal, bill of sale or dealer invoice are not good anymore. Ask me how I know !!!!

If you have a good insurance broker they can give you a temporary insurance contract for an accepted amount(lower as much as possible) value for a month giving you time to get the car appraised for it's REAL value(for them and you). But you will pay taxes on the amount marked in the #19 box of the temporary contract.

Good luck!

4. Gangsta

Gangsta Karting

Oct 20, 2013
    Montreal, QC
    Luck and... Patience!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. chouch

chouch Formula Junior

Nov 23, 2008
    I bought a Lotus from Ontario and got it registered in Quebec. Not a very hard process.

If you buy from a dealer, you will have to pay the GST (TPS) at the dealer in Ontario and the PST (TVQ) at the SAAQ when the car will be ready to be registered in QC.
    If you buy the car from a private seller, you will only pay the TVQ at the SAAQ.

I bought my Lotus Elise from a private seller. 40k deal.
    Here's a detailed step by step process of what I did.

1/ Called the SAAQ to have their bluebook value for my future Lotus. 27k.
    2/ Went to the bank to get a 40k bank draft.
    3/ Called my insurance to tell them I needed a policy for a car I was buying. I had a copy sent by email within 30min. Printed it.
    4/ Drove with a friend to Ontario to meet the seller at their SAAQ equivalent in Ontario.
    5/ Paid the seller
    6/ Seller gave me a bill of sale, which we agreed should show 27k rather than the 40k I was paying him)
    7/ Seller gave me the keys (yeah - very happy at this point)
    8/ Being at the SAAQ equivalent in Ontario, I told them I was moving the car to QC and asked for a temporary transit number. This can be done when you have the bill of sale + proof of insurance + QC driving licence in hand. Cost 8$, valid an unknown number of days, and you wont pay them the PST (TVQ) there.
    9/ Drive the car back.
    10/ Get the car inspected by a SAAQ mandated garage. Cost 75$ + taxes. Collect the proof of valid inspection and the window sticker.
    11/ Go to the SAAQ, give them the bill of sales + proof of valid inspection + TVQ (ouch), they will give you a QC licence plate in exchange
    12/ Install the plate and enjoy the car.

I am not aware of the SAAQ's new way to evaluate the luxury cars value and decide how much the TVQ will be. Anyway, I dont think my little Elise fit in that category of car.
    But what the SAAQ does is :
    - Look at the bluebook value
    - Look how much you paid on you bill of sale
    Pick whichever is higher and apply TVQ.
    But I m not surprised they started asking for insured value. I'm sure their stupid bluebook is listing an old Diablo around 60k...

6. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    Your last info is not valid anymore for LUXURY cars. I transfered my Testarossa in May of this year and all appraisal, bill of sale or any other book value were not valid. I needed the Insurance Policy with avenant 19 value and nothing else. The clerk learned it as soon as she typed the word Ferrari in her computer. She then went to the section which explained it and she said all cars from, Ferrari, Lamborghini, Maserati, Rolls royce etc where to be valued like this.

7. oidrees

oidrees Rookie

Oct 9, 2015
    I just drove a new 2015 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited X edition back to Quebec from Ontario. The car is financed at 0% (hence the tax paid in Ontario is not subject to interest charges) and here is what I have done so far:
    - the dealer in Ontario (SevenView Chrysler - Eddie Tawil) got me the 10 day temp permit (total cost to me was 57 CAD) and did not charge me any licensing fee.
    - After coming back to QC, I was at the SAAQ office the next business day and all they asked for was the bill of sale, the temp permit 'title' and my QC driver's license.
    - I paid the QC tax (only provincial since Federal is already paid) and got my Quebec plate in a jiffy.
    - What is left for me to do is to file what is called a Rebate application, GST495 (13th edition to be precise), which is available online at the cra website.
    This will be mailed in with photocopies of the QC tax paid and the ON bill of sale to CRA and they should take 4-6 weeks to process the 8% of the harmonized sales tax (total HST in ON is 13%) refund and send me a check (cash in hand)
    Registering a Vehicle from Outside Québec | Vehicle Registration | SAAQ for details on bringing a car inside.
    I DID NOT have to get an inspection done.
    Good luck y'all!

8. Jevenlee

Jevenlee Rookie

Dec 27, 2015
    Dear Friend, I saw your thread about buying car from a ON dealer and register in QC. I am current facing an exact same situation with you. I saw you did it a couple of months before. Your experience must be very helpful to me. Now, I have placed deposit at a BMW dealer for a USED car (2014 model, very new), and I am going to drive it several days later. Do I have to pay the 13 tax first, and the ask for refund after I pay Quebec tax? Also , you mentioned you did not do the mechanical inspection in Quebec, how come? Does that mean some cars can avoid this procedure? I really appreciate you can input some comments on this, now I am confus on this. Thanks a lot in advance, I really appreciate if you can reply me to the email [email protected].