Import a Ferrari into Canada? | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Import a Ferrari into Canada?

Discussion in 'Canada' started by zackster101, Jun 24, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. starboy444

starboy444 F1 Veteran

Oct 7, 2006
    Toronto, Canada
    Full Name:
    Lucas
    I'm glad to see that the Canadian prices have levelled off and are competitive to the REAL market price for these cars now.

You guys are saying "its not worth to buy a junk US car, after travel and gas....etc" ; That leaves me with only one question...How many of these "local" 360's and 355's are actually Canadian cars, and not cheap US imports which we are seeing at Daytona and other dealers? I just want to know if these $65 and $79k 360's are actual Canadian cars, or high mileage US versions imported cheap from south of the border.

2. red3555gtb

red3555gtb Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 15, 2006
    Woodbridge/Ontario
    Full Name:
    Rocco

Valid points and Questions, since the boys from Daytona lurk around here maybe they could chime in.

3. Fave

Fave F1 Rookie

Aug 12, 2010
    Tarana
    Full Name:
    L. Ike Hunt
    And I get crap for suggesting such things in the 308 section.

4. starboy444

starboy444 F1 Veteran

Oct 7, 2006
    Toronto, Canada
    Full Name:
    Lucas
    Just to clarify, I mean no disrepespect to Daytona, or any other dealer in the GTA with the "junk" comment. I just want to know if they are selling well-priced local cars, or well priced US imports.

Big difference we all know is that most local GTA Ferrari's are usually decent-good quality, and most US imports priced similarily usually are high-mileage "story" cars.

Hopefully the prices are apples to apples, not apples to rotten tomatoes ! :)

5. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    Good points amigo !!!

When there was a shortage of 328s yrs ago, FoO was selling some US cars... It is important to see why, and what....as always, buyer beware on anything.

6. red3555gtb

red3555gtb Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 15, 2006
    Woodbridge/Ontario
    Full Name:
    Rocco
    #81 red3555gtb, Dec 19, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2011
    Fave, remember this, most of the guys on the 308/328 section are immature Ferrari bottom feeder wannabe owner that spend most of their time knocking the 308/328 series. The 308/328 section is the last site that needs to grow-up on Fchat, even the guys on the Mondial section respect their model with praise and look at the guys on the 355 section they are spending between $10,000 & $20,000 on routine service and are happy like pig in s--t and telling everyone they are getting a deal!

7. MS250

Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    It's all those damn gt/4 owners :p

8. red3555gtb

red3555gtb Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 15, 2006
    Woodbridge/Ontario
    Full Name:
    Rocco
    Yep, I think we need to separate the gt/4 from the 308/328 section and give them their own section like what happened to the Mondial!!!

9. starboy444

starboy444 F1 Veteran

Oct 7, 2006
    Toronto, Canada
    Full Name:
    Lucas
    #84 starboy444, Dec 20, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2011
    I was browsing autotrader.ca yesterday, and I was pleasantly surprised to see some nice 360's and 430's with good price tags.

I will just mention 2 good looking (from the ad) 360 F1 Spyders listed for $110k, and $119k
    According to the ad they are mint, well maintained, decent mileage etc....Question is if these are local GTA cars, or cheap US imports??

IMHO, there is NO WAY that any local 360 owner will be parting with a babied, garaged, low KM 360 Spyder for $110. I have 2 friends who bought 360 Spyders 2-3 years ago for $190k+ range which were already used, 1-owner, local GTA cars which were mint condition. I don't think they are going to be putting them on Autotrader or trading them in to FOO or Daytona for $90k...(Then dealer flip for $110k).

Yes; I know it doesn't matter what the owners think, the market price is law now, but I don't think any local owner can afford a $100k haircut in 2 years (on a used car!). Which leads me to belive these $110k, "2 California owner, 1 Illinois owner" 360 Spyders are cheap US imports. I don't think you can compare a well travelled, journeyman USA 360 Spyder to a garage queen Toronto 360 spyder. The problem now will be that the flood of the cheap US imports will lead no choice for local quality owners to take that 100k haircut, because the market has been staged with the low import prices now.

10. Andrew D.

Andrew D. F1 Rookie

Jul 6, 2008
    Goodwood Ontario
    Full Name:
    Andrew D.
    Lucas, there is nothing wrong with USA cars,just do a PPI if you cant see them yourself. The reason Canadian cars are so "valued" is because no Canadian owner wants to admit they wre gouged $100,000 too much!

11. starboy444

starboy444 F1 Veteran

Oct 7, 2006
    Toronto, Canada
    Full Name:
    Lucas
    I know, most Ferraris in general are well cared for. US or Canadian versions....however I was just pointing out that you can't compare a $120k 360 Spyder (Canadian) which is 1 owner, garaged kept and maintained at FOO yearly.....with a 5 owner USA 360 Spyder which is missing documents, and serviced at 5 different dealers from Texas to Tennessee.

They might all pass PPI, but you won't be able to see the mechanical quality of the F1 transmission, cylinder heards, valves etc. which were abused by different owners.

12. Fave

Fave F1 Rookie

Aug 12, 2010
    Tarana
    Full Name:
    L. Ike Hunt
    #87 Fave, Dec 21, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2011
    Sounds like a good idea lol.

Your right, the 308 section should be renamed the bottom feeder forum. 25k for 328's, saying people like me are trying to drive the prices up for suggesting they are buying junk. Lord.

Case in point, there is a guy who just bought a 328 for 25, everyone pushed him to buy it, PPI said all was good. Now the little things are popping up and the big things like squeeking suspension etc..
    It's going to add up fast for this guy. A story I know all to well.

13. Saturn

Saturn Formula Junior

Nov 26, 2010
    Toronto land of salt
    Full Name:
    Saturn
    You should have bought that 355 Fave.... ;-)

14. Fave

Fave F1 Rookie

Aug 12, 2010
    Tarana
    Full Name:
    L. Ike Hunt
    That's a shooters car....

It's not the car I can't afford its all the gold chains and expensive track suits that would break the bank :D

15. MS250

Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    The reality is you have to see what car you get and where....you cannot compare a us Florida car or Texas car that sees 12 months out of the year driving with 110 degree temperatures and compare that to an Ontario car that snows 7 months of the over and has 110 degree weather when the equator moves north :D

It's always buyer beware, both in a flooded state in the US , or the snow filled Ontario region.....a ppi will not always protect you ...... You will soon find out who gets the hair cut....the guy who thinks he saved 50K or the guy that spent the extra 50k....

Buyer beware !

16. MS250

Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    That's not the reason, 355 is not your car....neither is a gt/4 ..... You are a Daytona, TR, bb boxer kinda guy.

17. MS250

Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    Here is yet another reason why I will NEVER buy a US imported car.... It's this type of nonsense that the average buyer thinking they got a deal....they got it all right !!!

I feel bad for car reaper in here, but just imagine how many of these cars are like this that don't get reported ..

Hope it goes ok for him ! And god bless him for fighting it too.

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=349647

18. Prancing 12

Prancing 12 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 11, 2004
    The long way home
    While that situation is unfortunate, it's hardly unique to the USA. There are many cars in Canada that I know for a fact have suffered significant damage that isn't disclosed or shown on any history report (and a few of these are currently for sale). It's the same on both sides of the border - buyer beware!

19. MS250

Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    Also true, but it's better in Canada to follow the VIN per province as opposed to the US as they have state laws that vary.

20. Andrew D.

Andrew D. F1 Rookie

Jul 6, 2008
    Goodwood Ontario
    Full Name:
    Andrew D.
    I bought a 456, Aston martin vantage volante, Porsche 993. Jaguar XK8, all from the US still have them, still drive them all. I would prefer a car used regularly from the States than a Canadian garage queen anyday.Dont ever think that cars that just sit dont deteriorate. The money saved is just a bonus.

21. MS250

Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    ^

some like red heads, some like blondes, and others brunettes - isnt choice wonderful ;)

22. abenzhou

abenzhou Rookie

Aug 9, 2014
    hello James please send info to my email. i m buying a ferrari FF from us.
    [email protected]

23. GordonC

GordonC F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 28, 2005
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    This thread hadn't been posted to in 3 years, and JamesSimpson hasn't posted to the forum in 15 months. You'd be better off trying to contact him directly than waiting for him to see your post in a thread.

24. ferrarilover

ferrarilover F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2003
    Barrie, ON, Canada
    Full Name:
    Christopher Bailey
    James is also in the process of winding down his business, moving on to new things in life.

25. cherminator

cherminator Rookie

Aug 20, 2014
    Can anyone here recommend a reputable company to help bring a Ferrari into Canada?