Image Conversion | FerrariChat

Image Conversion

Discussion in 'Creative Arts' started by daviday, Apr 2, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. daviday

daviday Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 26, 2013
    New York
    Full Name:
    Davide
    This looks like the right place for this. Hopefully someone can offer some advice.

I have some 5cmx5cm projection slides. Would like to get them on a disk or perhaps in the cloud.

Where would I start? They're dated before I was a thought.

Thanks in advance.

2. the_stig

the_stig F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2005
    There are many places offering this service. Several of the biggies are overseas - the slides get shipped to India for the actual scanning.

3. 330 4HL

330 4HL Formula 3

May 12, 2005
    Vancouver
    Full Name:
    Rick Bradner
    India??
    I should think that any reasonable size city will have a "pro" photo processing shop that could deal with this sort of thing.
    Depending on the level of detail you want; you can have a "slide" printed and then scan the result into your computer.

4. David_S

David_S F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Mountains of WNC...
    Full Name:
    David S.
  5. Zack

Zack Formula 3

Dec 18, 2003
    Nicosia, Cyprus/Cali
    Full Name:
    Zacharias
    Just scan it with any scanner. Tons of free software out there that will convert a scanned negative into the image with one click.

6. the_stig

the_stig F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2005
    Doing it yourself is fine - but it is very tedious time-consuming work and getting good results with an $80 scanner and free software is not so easy.
    I've got several scanners, 2 of them were quite expensive, and I HATE doing old 35mm slides. I've got hundreds to go through and it just isn't going to happen. Sending them to India is the way to go if you value your time at all.

7. Zack

Zack Formula 3

Dec 18, 2003
    Nicosia, Cyprus/Cali
    Full Name:
    Zacharias
    Makes sense...send it off and get it done.

How about, project it on to a wall and take pics with a digital camera? <--only half serious.

8. daviday

daviday Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 26, 2013
    New York
    Full Name:
    Davide
    Thank you guys. Sorry for the late response. Looks like I need to familiarize myself more with this app to get the proper updates.

I'm sure if anyone was watching me trying to stick these things in all the available slots at the CVS photo center they'd fit me for a straight jacket....

I did actually end up finding a local guy that was capable though.

Zach, that was actually going to be my last resort... Thankfully there are people out there that hang on to old tech.