I'm fed up with my 308's lack of AC!! | Page 9 | FerrariChat

I'm fed up with my 308's lack of AC!!

Discussion in '308/328' started by Ultimate Pedals, Aug 26, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Saabguy

Saabguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 28, 2012
    Shreveport, LA
    Directed here from DIY thread.. no update n 2 years..

Lester

2. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    I just installed charge of ES12 to my old York compressor. Replaced the drier and coil too. ES12 is amazing stuff, works better than R12 IMO. The fear factor with es12 is that it's hydrocarbon based making it flammable, well what you don't hear is that it's flammable point is at a very very high temperature of 1500F+ making any chance of it igniting incredibly low.

3. pippo

pippo Formula 3

Sep 25, 2005
    FL
    Full Name:
    pippopotemus
    John,

Glad to hear youre a fan of HC's. But like anything , it has its drawbacks. I use it all day long, even on my mothers car!! But, whatch out for the autoigniton temp of 1500+ deg F. I dont believe it. That stuf is a mixture, maybe as you know, of mostly propane, and isobutane.

If a puncture hapens, Im not so sure that the gases wont "seperate" upon reaching atmospheric pressure meaning the propane and isobutane will seperate. ES 12 is an azeotrope. They will seperate if released in the atmosphere, thus, leaving propane on its own. IF that happens, man, it can hit the engine manifold which may be about 1200-1500 deg F, and propane has an autoignition temp of only about 850 or so (dont feel like looking it up.....hehe)

So, be informed. Still, I will continue using it. Ive put it in soooo many cars. So far, no biggee. Oh- even if opure propane, it will only ignite if the propane/air mixture is an ideal, and vary narrow range of about 2-9% (again, too lazy to look up exact %ages). This is not easy to accomplish, fortunately for us HC fans.

4. pippo

pippo Formula 3

Sep 25, 2005
    FL
    Full Name:
    pippopotemus
    Also, ES 12 does not work well on some car models. I dont know why. Honda civics, Plymouth voyagers, very cold. Also, Saturns. Pontiacs, not so. Still, beter than r134a.

5. Ed_Trottier

Ed_Trottier Rookie
    BANNED

Dec 10, 2008
    Moneta, VA (SML)
    Full Name:
    Ed Trottier
    Need some help: Clutch on OE Aspera (York) HG 1000 AP) is slipping. Appears worn. Pulley size appears "key." What is diameter of OE clutch pulley? I see many 7" Clutch Assy. with pulley for York (all 7"). Source for compressor? York model is R210R (RH suction with Rotolock fittings).

Thanks in advance.

Ed in Aiken, SC

6. Ed_Trottier

Ed_Trottier Rookie
    BANNED

Dec 10, 2008
    Moneta, VA (SML)
    Full Name:
    Ed Trottier
    What size pulley on clutch? I see many available, but for York, they all seem to be 7". Dryer also avail, I think from AutoZone or AdvanceAuto. Any part Nos ???

Thanks.

7. John M

John M Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2004
    Kentucky
    #207 John M, Jul 5, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I did ES12 that I have had on the shelf for years and r134 fittings with the built in shrader valve on both the low and high pressure side. Went from empty, bypassed the low pressure switch so that the compressor would run, and added two 6 oz cans. Getting a 35 degree F drop...75 ambient to almost 40. That should do. Cold enough to make the outside of the glass condensate moisture.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. Ferraripilot

Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    The compressor clutch is a Ferrari only item, very specific. Do what you can to muttle around ebay or wherever to locate one. The other option is to get a Sanden compressor that already has a clutch which actually will work installed, and if that's the case a bracket to mount the Sanden compressor is also needed.

The Dryer is for a 1985 BMW 318i and the expansion valve crosses to a 1985 Ford Econoline van. Easy and cheap enough.

Two cans is all I needed too, very very good stuff that ES12. Unreal how well it works even with the old York/Aspera compressor. I took a bit of time and replaced every o-ring in the system with the 'green' style o-rings for a/c systems, no leaks.

9. Ferraripilot

Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!

Thanks for the information, really appreciated. Thankfully my manifolds run below 600F, I measure them to make sure I'm not getting any misfires etc! Still, be careful with this stuff I think is your point, and point noted indeed. Appreciated.

10. stevel48

stevel48 Formula 3

Jan 4, 2005
    Metrowest MA
    Full Name:
    Steve (85 308 Owner)
    I just bought 6 cans of r12, a new dryer, a new expansion valve and some mineral oil. Back to having AC soon.

11. Ferraripilot

Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!

Excellent. That should do it

12. Ultimate Pedals

Ultimate Pedals Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Palm Beach, Fl
    Full Name:
    Rob Baylor
    #212 Ultimate Pedals, Jan 18, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  13. Ferraripilot

Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    OUtstanding. thank you! What motor is that you fitted there?

14. Ferraridoc

Ferraridoc F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Beautiful work, Rob

On my car (RHD) there is precious little space between the blower and the wheel tub, and even with such a thin adaptor and the necessary squishy gasket, it would be close. But an elegant solution just the same!

That blower has 354 CFM, which I tested to be a little less than the standard Borletti. The 008-A54-002 has the same back space in the housing (a little wider, but that's not critical) and over 500 CFM. That was what I was going to do next, but as I said in my PM, I feel I've already jumped the shark on this project and want my car back! I do think a relay will boost the fan output a bit, though - we'll see, I guess.

Thanks for all your help - it was this thread that gave me the confidence to tilt at this particular windmill

Patrick

15. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    roll down the window! :)

16. Ferraridoc

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Really?

Last night the MINIMUM was 24.5C and 99% humidity - and that's on the coast! A few degrees higher inland. High 30's during the day, AND high humidity - walk out of your air conditioned office and it's like a boilermaker's jockstrap!

308's in this place are undriveable during the day at this time of year. Part of the "more like an every day driver" modification must include the air con!

17. Ultimate Pedals

Ultimate Pedals Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Palm Beach, Fl
    Full Name:
    Rob Baylor
    The blower shown is Spal Type:008-A46-02

18. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    Totally agree! The "roll down the window/take off the top" stuff is fine when it's 75F and low humidity OR, the driver is comfortable with sweat gluing his/her back to the seat and dripping down the nose. But to use the car as a CAR, not a 20 minute showpiece ride to the local car "event," functioning AC is mandatory for me. I see no reason to be miserable…and trying to look like I'm not.

19. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    I was kidding, hence the :) I drove through the mojave desert without AC so I know what hot is. I just think getting the AC working on these old Ferrari's is a challenge. As I stated before I got an A+ in AC at my local college and had my GT4 evacuated and filled freezing cold at the vents, but could never work as the greenhouse is so huge. I applaud all your efforts to improve your systems and feel lucky to live where it is 75° most of the year!

20. URAS

URAS Formula Junior

Oct 17, 2014
    Canada
    Full Name:
    vince
    I was at a shop this past weekend where a glass guy was installing clear 3M film on the vintage car. When he was done, I could not tell the film was there. This is designed to cut down about 70% of the heat coming in and reflect the rays away.
    Something to consider....cut down on heat coming in without changing the look of the glass, especially the front glass. a quick search turned up apex windown films who can provide "optically clear film".

21. Ferraridoc

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Yes, I saw that. That's exactly the one I bought - the supplier had his own serial no. and listed it at 630 CFM. When I opened the box, it was the SPAL 008-A46-02 (354 CFM). There is another in the series (same size housing) that has over 500 CFM - that's the 008-A54-02, which would be the one to get, but adapting it to fit was beyond me (the outlet face is different, even from the A46-02), and I puller the pin. It also draws 30 amps!

22. Ferraridoc

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Ahh! Emoticons! Haven't quite got them sorted out yet. It uses the same part of the brain that can use a mobile phone for other things besides phone calls.

23. Crowndog

Crowndog F1 Veteran

Jul 16, 2011
    Fairfield,Pa
    Full Name:
    Robert
    #223 Crowndog, Jan 19, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2015

Did you have to change speed resistors or were you able to keep the originals? Nice find by the way.

Any chance you could provide a drawing for the adapter plates with dimensions etc?

24. TommyA

TommyA Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2002
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tommy A
    Can the blower motor be removed without removing the compete assembly?

25. 1Evil4re

1Evil4re Formula Junior

Jun 24, 2012
    Nashville Area
    Full Name:
    David
    I am converting to a Sanden compressor but want to keep it a R12 system. Anybody know how many 12 ounce cans it takes to fill the complete system? I don't want to buy any more cans that I have to at $61 a can.