Ignition thermo-time switch | FerrariChat

Ignition thermo-time switch

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by ATSAaron, Sep 2, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ATSAaron

ATSAaron Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 1, 2004
    Shady Shores, TX
    Full Name:
    Aaron Bunch
    I heard rumors that the 2V US Digiplex boxes have a temperature controlled switch that retards ignition timing about 5 degrees until the engine is warm. I could not find any mention of it in the Mondial 8 workshop manual. Does anyone have information on it? Like where is the thermotime switch?

Aaron

2. ATSAaron

ATSAaron Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 1, 2004
    Shady Shores, TX
    Full Name:
    Aaron Bunch
    Nevermind. I see it in the diagram (item #12)

3. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #3 Steve Magnusson, Sep 3, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2019
    You are mixing items:

The thermo-time switch is a gizmo used (on all version F models with CIS) to briefly connect and then disconnect the cold start injector(s) during starter motor cranking at cold start-up.

The water thermoswitch (used on US version models) is the switch that "tells" the Digiplex ECUs (and injection ECU, if present) to be in cold-running mode or warm-running mode.

See page D5 in the Mondial 8/QV WSM 281/83 for the note about the timing being retarded 5 deg when cold on the US models. The water thermoswitch is item 12 on page D1.

(Although it looks to me like they mangled the y-axis labeling of the Fig 6 graph on the left hand side of D5 and 0 degrees should be where -5 deg is shown -- i.e., the graph shows the cold-running values with the -5 deg added. The Fig 6/1 graph on the right hand side of D5 looks correct for hot-running.)

4. ATSAaron

ATSAaron Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 1, 2004
    Shady Shores, TX
    Full Name:
    Aaron Bunch
    THANKS Steve!

Do you know the location of the water thermoswitch?

Aaron

5. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #5 Steve Magnusson, Sep 3, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2019
    On a US version Mondial 8, the water thermoswitch (115477) is mounted in the bottom of the coolant expansion tank -- item 60 here:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    This water thermoswitch's logic (IIRC) is: cold = open, warm = closed (on other later models, this is reversed).

(Please clarify year/version/model you are dealing with -- "Mondial" doesn't match what's in your profile.)

6. ATSAaron

ATSAaron Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 1, 2004
    Shady Shores, TX
    Full Name:
    Aaron Bunch
    Thanks again. This is a 1982 Mondial 8. I’m working on a pretty basic turbo kit. 5 degrees of retard would come in handy at 5-7psi of boost. I’m thinking of putting it on a Hobbs switch. Targeting about 300-350 horsepower.

I also have a 1988 Mondial 3.2 that we turbocharged into a 650hp monster. It’s SNJ5’s old car.

And of course the blue 750hp 308GTS.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login