Ignition ON Switch in engine bay (for EFI installation) | FerrariChat

Ignition ON Switch in engine bay (for EFI installation)

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by DanielGA, Aug 14, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DanielGA

DanielGA Karting

Mar 19, 2018
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Daniel A.
    Hello,

I have a Mondial 8, which has the 2v 308 engine, and I am installing EFI and full aftermarket ECU (AEM brand). Anybody know of a convenient source in the stock engine bay to get "ignition on". I see that to solenoid of the starter I get the "ignition start" signal, but what I am searching for is the ignition on ... I have some electric wiring diagrams but cannot decipher where in the engine bay is such a signal ... I'd rather not have to run a wire all the way to the ignition switch in the cockpit... I do see that the fuel-pump relay on the main fuse box might have those signals (pin 85/86) but is there something already in the engine bay?

Any suggestions?

2. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Do you need a low-current ignition "on" signal (like 0.1A~0.5A) or a high-current ignition "on" signal (like 4A~5A)?

3. DanielGA

DanielGA Karting

Mar 19, 2018
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Daniel A.
    Either I guess. Can always convert low current to high current with a relay ...ECU has a thin wire it wants as input and then it turns on several relays so probably your low current option is sufficient... what is it?

Sent from my SM-A750GN using FerrariChat.com mobile app

4. DanielGA

DanielGA Karting

Mar 19, 2018
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Daniel A.
    I.suppose one hack is to leave the connector to the air flow meter disconnected (actually I removed the CIS so trivial) then use the fuel pump positive line (I have new fuel pump wiring anyway) but that seems very inelegant and not sure if that line stays on when cranking or if a robust solution ... thoughts?

Sent from my SM-A750GN using FerrariChat.com mobile app

5. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    If you are saying that the ECU has a large wire always supplying +12V to provide the large current to run it, and this ignition "on" signal is just a signal to "tell" the ECU that the ignition is "on" (not supply the current to run it), and, if this is a US version Mondial 8, then you could use one of the wires going to one of the electrovalves (that you've no doubt removed). Each of the three electrovalves should have two wires going to it, and one wire at each electrovalve should have the same insulation color -- these wires will go +12V whenever the key is "on" or starting.

6. DanielGA

DanielGA Karting

Mar 19, 2018
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Daniel A.
    Cool, thanks! I am not 100% positive on what you are calling the electrovalves, but maybe they are as in pic attached (from another FerrariChat post). I recall one near the oil dipstick but of course have to recall where that wiring is now...the actual electrovalve is as you said gone now.

I also saw that through sequence of ignition on, then to ignition relay, then to fuel pump start relay, then to fuel pump relay (using the connector at airflow meter) routes power eventually to the fuel pump but then depends on all those relays working....I do not really need those relays, but could keep them.

Is your route through the electrovalves cleaner and more direct?

I wonder if its cleaner and more reliable to route a new wire from fusebox in front to my new ECU is the trunk, though I do not want to touch the fusebox much because I assume its quite fragile...I'd need to figure out how to route a wire from front of car to back without too much pain...

Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. DanielGA

DanielGA Karting

Mar 19, 2018
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Daniel A.
    In more investigation, attached is a picture from 1982 Mondial QV electric wiring (I have a 1982 Mondial 8) and by tracing I think it shows the ignition on goes from ignition switch itself, then via some things (47=alternator warning light, and 95=monitor check control) goes to connector C3 which is in the engine bay (as per the manual, I have not checked) and pin "1" is ignition on and pin "7" is ignition start which goes to the solenoid. This would be quite convenient if it exists and seems to be a more direct connection.

thoughts?

8. theunissenguido

theunissenguido Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido

Black/white wire of (143) Auxiliary starting assembly gets current over White plug W10, fuse number 10 and switch position you need.