Identify This Mystery T-Top Hardtop? | FerrariChat

Identify This Mystery T-Top Hardtop?

Discussion in 'British' started by beng, Feb 11, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. beng

beng Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2006
    RSF, California
    Full Name:
    Benjamin Galdston
    #1 beng, Feb 11, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Can anyone identify this mystery steel hardtop with removable t-top panels? It's really beautifully crafted, made of steel and upholstered on the inside. Despite the t-tops, there is very little flex, yet the top is also very light. I can lift and move it with little effort - maybe 50 lbs. There are vented side quarter windows and it has some apparent latches on the sides and it looks like holes where latches used to be on the front edge. The T-tops also are secured with very substantial latches. I purchased this for another project and was told it was for an MGB but it really does not look like an MGB hardtop and I have no use for it. I'd like to see it end up with the right car. I have been unable to find any maker's mark on it anywhere.

Has anyone seen anything like this or know what car it might be for? Thanks in advance.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. ApexOversteer

ApexOversteer F1 Veteran

Feb 15, 2007
    Smoky Mountains, TN
    Full Name:
    T.A. Bell
    I don't think it is an MGB hardtop, it wouldn't sit on the rear deck correctly with that curvature. I think it might be a Triumph TR3 top, they have a similar curve to where it meets the rear deck, but I can't find any TR3 tops that have side windows in them, let alone T-Tops.

The problem is, these hardtops were made by any number of teeny, tiny companies, some of which sprang up and disappeared overnight.

3. CPG

CPG Rookie

Jan 16, 2008
    New Zealand
    It looks like a Triumph Spitfire top to my eye.

Here is a standard one for comparison:

[​IMG]

4. beng

beng Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2006
    RSF, California
    Full Name:
    Benjamin Galdston
    Could be a Spitfire but the curvature seems more scalloped on mine. I have searched the 'net and can't find anything like it on any car. Obviously, T-tops were available on American cars but I've never seen an accessory hardtop with T-top conversion. Was this a common thing I the 70s or 80s? Could it be for an Italian car, like Alfa?

5. pacacu

pacacu Karting

Aug 30, 2008
    Hong Kong
    A long shot..Jensen Healey from the 70's..look more for a British car, Piper, Marcos, Ginette than any Italian/US models due to the size...

6. Sunracer

Sunracer Formula Junior

May 18, 2005
    Makati City
    Full Name:
    Pierre Beniston
    #6 Sunracer, Feb 14, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2012
    the inner tabs and the receivers on the t tops are Corvette hardware, as are the latches for the t tops-early seventies latches

7. beng

beng Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2006
    RSF, California
    Full Name:
    Benjamin Galdston
    I am amazed at the depth of knowledge among members of this community. You can really identify this as a Corvette top from the hardware? Would it help to have better pics? What year is it from, if you know?

Thanks for the response. This has been a real surprise.

8. ApexOversteer

ApexOversteer F1 Veteran

Feb 15, 2007
    Smoky Mountains, TN
    Full Name:
    T.A. Bell
    #8 ApexOversteer, Feb 18, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2012
    I think you have misread Sunracers post. He is saying the T-Top latches are Corvette parts, not the entire top.

It is definitely not a Corvette top.

Your top has a curvature that is too deep to rest on the rear deck of any of the Vettes. Compare your top with the four styles of Corvette hard top made between 1953 and 1975 (Corvettes were not available as convertibles between 1976 and 1986)...

1953-1955

1956-1962

1963-1967

1968-1975

I'm not surprised that the top you have uses Corvette T-Top hardware, one can imagine sourcing some GM bits would have been cheaper than making some yourself.

>>>>EDIT: CPG looks to be correct, it is a Triumph Spitfire hard top. Here is a comparison photo. Note the curvature of the top where it meets the rear deck and the shape of the "C-pillar", looks identical to me in this photo...

Triumph Spitfire Hard Top

It even has the recessed area in the center of the roof, just like yours, if you look closely. I'm thinking that your top just might be a custom piece, a standard Spitfire top that someone has added T-Tops to, using Corvette hardware for the T-Tops.

9. beng

beng Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2006
    RSF, California
    Full Name:
    Benjamin Galdston
    Mystery solved! The top on the green Spitfire looks exactly like mine, except for the T-top. Thanks for clearing up my misread on the Corvette match and for tracking down the photo. Regards, Ben.

10. ApexOversteer

ApexOversteer F1 Veteran

Feb 15, 2007
    Smoky Mountains, TN
    Full Name:
    T.A. Bell
    You're quite welcome man, and kudos to CPG for nailing the I.D. down!

11. beng

beng Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2006
    RSF, California
    Full Name:
    Benjamin Galdston
    Thanks again for all the help. If anybody needs this, send me a pm or email. Otherwise, I will probably fleabay it. Only taking up space in my garage now.

12. 348Jeff

348Jeff Formula 3

Oct 25, 2011
    UK
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Most definitely a Triumph Spitfire hardtop suitable for either the Mk IV or 1500 models. I used to have one on mine but without the "T-Tops" which look like a DIY effort to me???

13. beng

beng Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2006
    RSF, California
    Full Name:
    Benjamin Galdston
    Thanks. I have listed the top on eBay (item no. 290675945815) with more pictures and detailed shots of the T-Top inserts and hardware. In response, I received a number of emails from Triumph folks who tell me its a very rare factory hardtop. Not sure whether its so or not, but the top is definitely not a DIY. The workmanship, fit and finish is incredible. The removable sections have drip rails and moldings. Way too engineered, complete and polished to be DIY. Just a very unusual piece and I have never seen another like it.

14. etmracing

etmracing Karting

Oct 17, 2010
    Thurmont MD
    Full Name:
    Marc Stephens
    Its a spitfire hardtop.

15. The Dark Side of Will

May 24, 2012
    NoVA
    Full Name:
    William Lucke
    I randomly came across this post... was going to suggest Triumph Stag, but it looks like you guys figured it out.

16. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Triumphs like the TR6 stag and spitfire all had signature lines...similar but identifiable especially at rear quarter glass.