IAG - Bad Experience | Page 4 | FerrariChat

IAG - Bad Experience

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Allen F, Sep 27, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Allen F

Allen F Formula Junior

Mar 29, 2006
    AZ / PNW / NYC
    Full Name:
    Allen
    #76 Allen F, Oct 1, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2016
    Ultimately, I think ///Mike is correct: an ignition miss or rich condition on atleast one bank was not tuned properly and probably caused the O2 sensor to fail and also the cats.

The engine was NOT tuned any where near proper and one of the items on PPI was to adjust the fuel mixture for the engine. If the fuel mixture needed to be set and O2 sensors replaced (per PPI) then why didn't the F-dealer see that the cats were burnt out? Then engine required a LOT of work to get it running properly (I'm sorry I don't have those receipts).

Remember the car was advertised "engine out service less than 100 miles ago" what srot of service left the car in this condition? Why would the car be burning up O2 sensors? To me these issues (and others) speak to the fact that the car was grossly misrepresented.

In the end, the car also need new cats because it wouldn't pass emissions.

The electrical system was in shambles there were splices bypassing one of the circuit boards. Several wire, fuses etc had burn marks all over them and any and all of those involved in performing service would have EASILY noticed this but either ignored it or concealed it.

2. desmomini

desmomini F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 18, 2003
    Upstate SC
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Remember that the "engine out service less than 100 miles ago" was in November of 2014. The car was purchased in September of 2015. So, it can be technically correct that that not many miles passed since the major (positive) and also correct that the car sat for nearly a year without any significant use (negative).

Also, an major service does not return a car to like-new baseline condition.

The only things the buyer could be reasonably confident of would be that the belts and tensioners would be relatively new parts, and the fluids, though a year old, would not have a lot of heat cycles.

Another part of buying these cars is reading between the lines. If the mileage since service is touted, check the time elapsed, and vice versa.

3. Allen F

Allen F Formula Junior

Mar 29, 2006
    AZ / PNW / NYC
    Full Name:
    Allen
    #78 Allen F, Oct 1, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Basically, the car was a mechanical basket case that took months to unravel. How much do you think new cats, tuning the engine and replacing much of the electrical system cost? Answer, it costs tens of thousands of dollars!

So, here is my complete list of items that were promised (some verbal and some in writing):
    1) O2 sensors (if they were replaced) they were brunt out by the time the car was delivered.
    2) Set fuel mixture (if it was set) the engine still didn't run properly for months after it was delivered.
    3) Left Front Wheel bent - even after FINALLY sending a wheel over a month later the replacement wheel was not the correct color and turned out to be bent beyond repair too.
    3) Extensive engine tuning was required (even though car was advertised as "major service less than 100 miles ago". I would expect that the major service would have been done properly.
    4) Window inoperable (this was a verbal promise because it was reported at F-dealer not working AFTER PPI). Car arrived without window working again.
    5) non function catalytic converters - I was promised "a complete new exhaust system had been installed".

The 5 items above reflect the major issues that were promised but not upheld.

I believe the electrical system issues were concealed because they would have been OBVIOUS to mechanics performing work (but possibly (and unintentionally) missed during a PPI).

I've posted photos of the electrical issues and burnt cats. You can either take my work for their condition or not. I can't produce photos for the other issues, they were simply dealt with along the way.

As these issues began to unravel (which took weeks and months to unravel (a) how long do you think it takes to get into a good mechanic and (b) have the mechanic find one problem which leads to another problem etc) IAG was speaking with me, instructing me to "find out what's going on then let us know, send photos and receipts". I did just that at which time Artie (owner of IAG) promptly quit responding.

I continued to call IAG and leave messages (should I post phone records showing how many calls, their times and date too??? I don't have time to do that!) as the issues continued to unravel I'm not going to waste my time sending ADDITIONAL documentation to a dealer that's not responding.

I did continue trying to reach IAG via phone hoping they would actually care at which time I would be happy to collect and share ALL of the bills and receipts, but IAG NEVER did care or take the time to call back.

Again my point is that the dealership went on for months of "we'll get back to you" instead simply never did - that's avoidance. As late as this summer they still never bothered to call back (and they've admitted to this in this thread).

So, take caution at my experience, or don't believe it - its up to you. If I collect and post all the receipts that add up over $20k does that some how change change my point? What if the receipts add up to over $30k? What if the receipts add up to only $17k? The total spent to remedy the basket case doesn't change my experience with IAG

Unfortunately, it took months to determine the depth of everything that was involved. More unfortunate is that IAG simply didn't care to even follow up.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. desmomini

desmomini F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 18, 2003
    Upstate SC
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Okay, very interesting.

We've been impressed with IAG's empirical data. They reprinted documents, etc.

So...why not provide the empirical data you have?

As a broker, I'm sure you keep detailed records of everything.

You are presenting a serious case against a vendor. We've seen how that go STRONGLY against the vendor in the Bob Norwood case, given how they represented themselves in a "he-said/he-said" environment.

Here we have documentation from IAG, but "he-said" on your side. They have refuted the wording of the ad, and they have provided scans of documents.

SO...the burden is now on you to provide similar documentation. Not saying (yet) that your story is not correct, simply saying that you have not proven your allegations in the face of a very strong defense.

5. desmomini

desmomini F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 18, 2003
    Upstate SC
    Full Name:
    Jeff
  6. GatorFL

GatorFL Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Nov 18, 2005
    Wellington, FL
    Full Name:
    Duane
    Jeff good catch. It appears Allen brokered a ragged out car with issues. Perhaps he was expecting a Platinum level concours car after the work. Making such a car runnable is possible. Reality is without a meticulous restoration, a runner is always going to be a runner.

Allen were you expecting a concours car or a runner?

7. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    well said

8. desmomini

desmomini F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 18, 2003
    Upstate SC
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    INTJ. Thank you.

9. Allen F

Allen F Formula Junior

Mar 29, 2006
    AZ / PNW / NYC
    Full Name:
    Allen
    #84 Allen F, Oct 3, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2016
    Since you're referring to the previous thread, I'll remind you that IAG claimed the following:
    August 2014
    1. Major Service $6,277.08
    2. Install OEM cats & pre-cats $4,269.85
    3. Install OEM wheels (wheels provided ... labor $507.41
    4. Install two 225/50ZR-16 BF Goodrich, totaling $199.20
    5. Install two 255/50ZR-16 BF Goodrich, totaling $285.60
    6. Remove & recover dash $4,375 (dash covered by ASI of Tampa)
    October 2014
    7. Replaced expansion value (while dash was out)
    8. Replaced turn signal stalk $1,194.36
    9. Replaced air pump $498.25
    10. Replaced air check valve
    11. Windshield $4,364.44
    12. Fuel Pump $344.62
    13. Replace right inner CV boot $191.06
    14. 02 sensor $106.32
    15. Replaced throw out bearing seals $630.00
    December 2014
    16. Replaced Clutch assembly $2,992.32
    17. Replaced trunk seal $175.72
    18. Remove pads & calipers, operate pistons to unseize. Clean and flush break fluid $357
    19. Replace reverse switch (under center console) $408.02
    20. Lubricate to unseize passenger window motor (replacement part unavailable) $367.50
    21. Buffed scratches out of driver door & side quarter glass $439.79

Total of work at Exotic Motors $31,118.04

IAG claimed the work was top notch and that this "was the nicest TR they've seen in decades" (this was a verbal quote from Stu at IAG).

IAG said they went over this car themselves "with a fine tooth comb" and they work a lot with Exotic Motors (who performed much of the work) and "not only does IAG trust Exotic Motors implicitly, IAG carefully inspected it after purchasing it" (this a paraphrase from regarding conversations with Stu.

So, GatorFL - did I expect a "ragged out car with issues" or a "concourse car"?

Well, I expect relative truth (from a reputable dealer) not concealing a car's condition (this is WHY I'm warning F-Chat members to begin with, now that this dealer is actively marketing cars on this site).

Also, please remember that the ultimate buyer of this vehicle is the one who wanted it pursued - I didn't push this car.

Finally, the subject vehicle is, as of this summer, a Platinum award winner from a local FCA concourse. It simply took time and money to sort out the issues and the car is now truly a stunner!

10. Allen F

Allen F Formula Junior

Mar 29, 2006
    AZ / PNW / NYC
    Full Name:
    Allen
    To summarize: I (a ten-year F-chat member, previous Regional Director of the FCA and longtime Ferrari owner) made a warning about MY experience regarding a dealer (IAG) who has recently began advertising their cars for sale on F-Chat.

I did not and do not intend to post receipts and attempt to PROVE my experience; I have provide a summary of the issues and some photos.

Believe my story or not - I don't care. Hopefully if you purchase a vehicle from IAG you're extra cautious.

That's about it from me on this issue.

11. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Well end run, it appears there was plenty of blame to go around, from the broker not doing sufficient due diligence, to the dealer who did a less than a thorough PPI, to a seller who was less than communicative.

Its a good lesson for all buyers to be aware of. There's been a couple threads like this recently, and I know I learned a few things. ;)

12. GatorFL

GatorFL Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Nov 18, 2005
    Wellington, FL
    Full Name:
    Duane
    My thoughts exactly.

Allen, I'm not trying to pick on you. Truth be told, there's a lot of smoke about IAG and I personally wouldn't consider a car from them and they are local to me.

But reality is that you need to own this one. As a broker you have a duty to ensure you're conveying a car as represented and I think you failed to do that with this car. You relied on a friend and a PPI rather than your own eyes and experience. Where were you when the car was delivered? Why wasn't it sent back? 4 months before you ratchet up the heat on IAG?

Sorry man this one is on you.

I learned many years ago that a buyer should:

1. Never buy a car without seeing it in person
    2. Negotiate your own PPI with a reputable shop and make sure they know what you're looking for (Platinum/Gold/Driver)
    3. Walk from the deal if you're getting bad vibes

The loser in this is your customer. Not you. You didn't do your job.

13. desmomini

desmomini F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 18, 2003
    Upstate SC
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    I've been on FChat since 2003, have bought multiple classics, and that little bit of info...let the shop doing the PPI what *level* of car you're expecting...is one that's new to me! Of course, I've never bought platinum, for the budgets I've had, I just want a driver that leans to gold, but that is brilliant!

So, thank you!

14. Braces

Braces Karting

Mar 24, 2012
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    LOL at all the initial posters that were ready to lynch IAG on the whim of a single post. The truth comes forward eventually, but so many are swayed by unsubstantiated claims.

15. wiley355

wiley355 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 10, 2010
    Vancouver, WA
    Full Name:
    Wiley
    Plenty of "facts" and opinions have come forward. IMHO, the truth, regarding this one IAG transaction, remains well hidden. And maybe it should end that way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMzd40i8TfA

16. V-TWELVE

V-TWELVE Formula 3

Jan 1, 2007
    Vancouver, BC
    +1

With the money involved, I can't understand why neither a broker or seller feels a need to see the car in person before purchase.

17. IAG

IAG Karting

Nov 18, 2015
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Artie / Jason
    We are disappointed that anyone who has closely paid attention to this entire thread, and has had a chance to read through all of the documentation IAG has provided, could find any fault in IAG's performance. IAG did everything asked of them by the client. IAG paid their authorized Ferrari dealer to fix the O2 sensors found faulty in the Ferrari dealers ppi, instead of fixing themselves, as we wanted the customer to feel confident in the repair, as that was the only electrical issue found on the PPI.

How anyone could refer to this "Platinum Award" winning TR as "ragged" is misguided and misleading. It is quite obvious and very evident that any problems that arose with this TR were after the buyer received the vehicle, very likely caused when the buyer ran the battery down, charged the car for 48 hours, installed a brand new Interstate Battery, and then charged the brand new battery in the car for an additional 48 hours. One certainly has to ask, why would you need to charge a brand new battery for 48 hours, and how did the original battery die, after making it from Florida to Washington on a truck, not needing a jump start to off load the car? The client himself documented that he drove the car 1/3 of mile and then parked it, after which we have little information about what actually transpired.

The facts of this transaction up to the point where the buyer parks the car in his garage are crystal clear and fully documented by IAG. For anyone to assume otherwise is a mistake.

IAG has won numerous Platinum Awards at Cavallino, 3 of which were in the Testarossa/512TR class over the past 2 years (in addition to 2 Golds and a Silver in the same class), which clearly validates our level of knowledge and care for the Ferrari brand we are so fortunate to be involved with.

We do not take criticism lightly, however when a mistake is made on our behalf we own up to it. In this case, we made no mistakes, other than dealing with a broker instead of the actual client, but again this was at the actual clients request.

Let's recap IAG's actions regarding this transaction:
    1. Purchased TR from Exotic Motors Midwest with full service records
    2. At a purchaser's request, had a full PPI done by our local authorized Ferrari dealer
    3. Went over PPI and previous service records with buyer's agent in detail and addressed and fixed every item Ferrari dealer found to be an issue. Please take note the only thing the buyer has complained about was the O2 sensors that IAG paid their authorized Ferrari dealer to repair. We have provided that receipt to the community.
    4. Communicated with the broker post sale until it was evident unreasonable demands were being made of IAG. Please know we were not contacted regarding any problems with this TR until 4-5 months after car was delivered.
    And now we learn that the car took a Platinum Award....come on folks, common sense comes into play here; to accuse IAG of anything other than delivering exactly what they promised is just not accurate. We have clear proof/documentation that everything we promised to be fixed, was fixed.
    Thank you all for your time.

18. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul

This was the only area where I think fault resided with you, as I stated in my earlier post.

19. IAG

IAG Karting

Nov 18, 2015
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Artie / Jason
    We do agree with you, and we will learn from, and better ourselves from this siituation.
    Thank you for your time and consideration.
    Best
    IAG

20. Temerian

Temerian Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 17, 2014
    Manhattan
    Full Name:
    Rick Temerian
    I have to agree with Paul above. Communication with your client is key no matter what business you are in. That is the only fault I would have with IAG- return your customers' emails and/or phone calls promptly (I am often guilty of the same sin). I can see no reason why anyone on this site would avoid dealing with IAG. I also cannot imagine buying a Ferrari without seeing it in person and monitoring the PPI closely.

21. Allen F

Allen F Formula Junior

Mar 29, 2006
    AZ / PNW / NYC
    Full Name:
    Allen
    It's interesting that you "don't think I did my job". I had a visual inspection of the COSMETIC condition of the subject vehicle which it passed (and the cosmetic condition has NEVER been a point of contention).

I had a PPI done by a local dealer.

What you don't know is that I strongly urged the end buyer to allow me to personally go inspect the car (in which case he would have to pay travel expenses) and he chose to save the money. I continued to follow up with IAG on behalf of my customer for months as information became available.

I can only do what a customer will allow me to do (and pay for).

22. Allen F

Allen F Formula Junior

Mar 29, 2006
    AZ / PNW / NYC
    Full Name:
    Allen
    #97 Allen F, Oct 5, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2016
    Do you honestly believe that the "only" fault of IAG is not following up with the customer?

Items promised but found faulty:
    1) O2 sensors (if they were replaced) they were brunt out by the time the car was delivered.
    2) Set fuel mixture (if it was set) the engine still didn't run properly for months after it was delivered.
    3) Left Front Wheel bent - even after FINALLY sending a wheel over a month later the replacement wheel was not the correct color and turned out to be bent beyond repair too.
    3) Extensive engine tuning was required (even though car was advertised as "major service less than 100 miles ago". I would expect that the major service would have been done properly.
    4) Window inoperable (this was a verbal promise because it was reported at F-dealer not working AFTER PPI). Car arrived without window working again.
    5) non function catalytic converters - I was promised "a complete new exhaust system had been installed".
    6) Electrical system with spliced in bypass around burnt out fuse panels (this item falls into the category

The 6 items above reflect the major issues that were promised but not upheld with the electrical issues being completely concealed.

23. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Newbury, Berkshire, England
    Full Name:
    John
    This has all the hallmarks of a "yes you did, no you didn't" conversation. Both parties have put their cases at least twice. IMO now it's up to readers to draw whatever conclusions they wish and lay this now fruitless argument to rest.

24. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    This bickering will yield nothing...

My take home?
    It is always prudent to be cautious in high dollar transactions...so..
    I would be cautious in dealing with IAG and I would be cautious in dealing with Allen F.
    Equal.
    /thread

25. Braces

Braces Karting

Mar 24, 2012
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Looks like everybody loses here. Buyer is out "tens of thousands of dollars". Broker and IAG lost some credibility.