IAG - Bad Experience | FerrariChat

IAG - Bad Experience

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Allen F, Sep 27, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Allen F

Allen F Formula Junior

Mar 29, 2006
    AZ / PNW / NYC
    Full Name:
    Allen
    #1 Allen F, Sep 27, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2016
    I began purchasing at TR from this seller a year ago (September 2015). The TR was touted as "top condition collector with no expense spared" and "the nicest they'd seen in decades".

After having a PPI by the local F-dealer IAG agreed in writing to have several items addressed. It took until mid November before IAG was done "addressing" the items agreed as part of the purchase.

I finally received the TR at the end of November. Many of these items were NEVER addressed or jimmy-rigged. It took tens of thousands of dollars to make the car start, roadworthy and safe.

After receiving the car and notifying Artie and Stu (the owners of IAG) months of "we'll get back to you" went on and on. At Artie's request I sent extensive photo documentation, invoices and technician comments about the issues (especially those items that were agreed to be fixed in writing but never addressed).

It seemed to me that IAG's approach was waiting for me to give up. I would leave messages several times per week, follow up with email and they simply would ignore me.

Most recently, twice this summer, I'd get Artie on the phone and he'd say "I'm on vacation with my family I'll call you back". Obviously he never called me back.

I'm a long-time Ferrari owner. I know what to realistically expect and I don't expect classic cars to be perfect; I do, however, expect dealers to do what they promise (especially when done in writing).

Per the "Effective 12 June 2015: Posting Comments in Classifieds" I am posting this message because I have first-hand information about this seller. Please proceed with caution if you plan to purchase a vehicle from IAG.

2. ricmat

ricmat Formula Junior

Aug 29, 2016
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Ricardo

This is what this forum is all about.. Many thanks Allen and sorry to hear your story. I hope you get it sorted

3. slownrusty

slownrusty Formula Junior

Oct 1, 2014
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Slow Rusty
    ^^ Sorry to hear about your issues with IAG. At one time I was interested in buying a flying post TR and after reading the feedback on them similar to your experience, my confidence was decimated.

This twin turbo 400i has been sale extensively over the past few years and gone from dealer to another. It might be well built but requires an owner who is a good wrench or has deep pockets or both...it is certainly is an intriguing build that has had a significant amount spent.

4. carguyjohn350

carguyjohn350 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    John P
    The plot thickens

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

5. Col. Kurtz

Col. Kurtz Formula Junior

Jun 20, 2013
    New England
    Full Name:
    Walter E.
    This type of info is like gold for me. I really appreciate it as it helps me avoid wasting time, money and getting aggravated dealing with questionable sellers.

Thanks much!

6. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    I'm not sure what's going on over there, but they are also not easy to do business with. A close friend of mine was interested in a car they had for sale back in July 2015. They had no asking price listed on their site, but the car had been repeatedly ran through eBay over the prior two months without reaching reserve. When he inquired about what it would take to make a deal, they responded by shooting back with a snarky response and quoting him a price that was nearly double market value - and had absolutely no willingness to negotiate whatsoever. Of course, my friend walked and bought a different car. The funniest thing about the whole incident? That car is still listed for sale on their website well over a year later!

Texas Forever likes this.
  7. Testarossa Lover

Testarossa Lover F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 31, 2006
    Newport Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Haig Barsamian
    Thanks for the heads up. I just purchased a 430 and and miss my old TR enough that I am starting my search. I will approach this dealer with extra caution if I decide to make an offer.

8. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin
    All 8 of your complaints you posted on IAG's various ads in the Ferrari Classified Ads section moved here and the duplicates deleted.

Users may not "spam" the same message or post onto multiple threads. See the Ferrarichat Rules:

Consequently the correct way to send the message of a bad experience with IAG is to create a single thread about your experience in an appropriate forum, such as the General Ferrari Discussion forum, not to spam it onto every ad they create.

9. wiley355

wiley355 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 10, 2010
    Vancouver, WA
    Full Name:
    Wiley
    #9 wiley355, Sep 28, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I believe this to be a true story. Was there when the subject car was delivered and the new owner, a respected local Ferrari enthusiast, made me aware of the problems that followed delivery. IMHO, the owner was very patient as he did what was necessary to correct the deficiencies.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    Unfortunately, last Fall was a sellers market. Did you inspect the car in person? I couldn't tell from the old thread. Still, it is no excuse to dodge a customer.

11. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    IAG

Now on my "Dealers to Ignore" list.....

12. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Newbury, Berkshire, England
    Full Name:
    John
    Do we have another "beware of Bob Norwood" style thread in the making? :)

13. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Lesson learned for you Allen, but if I had the dealer do "tens of thousands of dollars" of extra work, I'd pay for a follow up PPI.

14. ROMO

ROMO Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 18, 2008
    WASHINGTON DC
    Full Name:
    ROMO
    I was looking at one of their cars listed but a fellow FCHAT member advised me to read your post. Thank you for sharing and sparing me a potential ordeal!

15. bill59

bill59 Karting

Oct 26, 2010
    bean town
    Full Name:
    bill h
    This makes great sense (why would it not:)). I've seen several of these cars lately for sale with comprehensive work to be done. It sounds like the dealer is up selling the buyer at very full freight to make more in the shop. I'd rather have my own guy do the work than risk this.

16. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    So many questionable sellers in the vintage market. Now with one less reputable it's going to be hard to find one you can actually buy.

red-head looks great IMHO.

17. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    I'm sure Allen with reply, but I did not read his post in the same way. I got the impression the "tens of thousands of dollars" was spent after he took possession and that he paid for that and not IAG (the "dealer" I presume you mean in your post?).

My read was that he asked IAG to take care of some things prior to shipping him the car, they agreed in writing. He had (at that point) no reason to doubt they would take care of those things. Again, my reading of his post, is that he then got the car and found out the things had not been sorted and/or found additional things (unclear) and he (Allen) spent "tens of thousands" to get the car to "start, roadworthy and safe".

18. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    AZI, I think we are reading it the same way. Since Allen said, "IAG agreed in writing to have several items addressed....... Many of these items were NEVER addressed or jimmy-rigged." I assume that it cost Allen "tens of thousands of dollars" to correct those items. Thus it would have been a similar cost for the dealer to address.

So my point was if it cost the dealer that much to address the items he wanted done, it behooved him to have another PPI done to make sure everything was done correctly. If the car needed other key additional items done that he didn't know about, then to me that would have been the responsibility of the guy who did the initial PPI to note.

(BTW, like my abbreviation of your name?)

19. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    Thanks for the clarification. I think where I'm not following you when you put a bit of the blame on Allen is that he should have had two PPI's done before the car was shipped. I think the piece that I'm relying on to say that is unreasonable is: (i) I highly doubt that he (or likely IAG) thought the car needed anywhere near what it ended up needing, (ii) he had no reason to doubt that IAG would fix it up. I've found stuff on PPI before and had it fixed. I wanted invoices to see that, but I didn't "re-PPI it" to confirm. That seems a bit overdone to me, that's all.

That said, I think you are likely correct, a second PPI to confirm what was done would have likely led to the car not shipping to him with unfinished stuff...but I hope we don't come to doing two PPI's as SOP (its unfortunate that many of us believe even one is needed).

20. vvassallo

vvassallo F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2006
    Palos Verdes
    Full Name:
    Vince V
    It looks to me as though the more valuable these cars become the more rascals one encounters in the exotic car business. Definitely caveat emptor in this market. Know with whom you are dealing. Get references and a PPI.

21. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Yea, I think we're on the same page. I don't mean to be blaming Allen so much as saying maybe he could have been more diligent. The problem for us is we don't know what he wanted the dealer to do. It's one thing if he wanted new windshield wipers, air filters and bushings. It's another if he wanted a new clutch and a belt service.

It just seems that if it was so expensive to get the car right, he should have made sure it was right before accepting delivery.

22. the_stig

the_stig F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2005
    Seems like, if his side of the story is accurate, he made the mistake of taking someone at their word. Dealer says they'll take care of x, y, and z he's got every right to assume it got done. Problem is we all know what happens when you assume. The bigger problem is this sounds like a dealer where maybe you couldn't even trust an invoice from them saying that the work got done.

23. 19633500GT

19633500GT F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    A bit surprised. They've posted 8 cars for sale within the last week, but zero response here?

24. Mr. V

Mr. V Formula 3

Oct 23, 2004
    Portland, Oregon
  25. LI2782

LI2782 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 19, 2010
    Taking the fifth usually a sign of guilt in my experience.