I went in for a 5k major, it cost XXXX more and here's what happened" | Page 11 | FerrariChat

I went in for a 5k major, it cost XXXX more and here's what happened"

Discussion in '348/355' started by johnk..., Dec 13, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Never thought about it that way but I think you are correct. So at assembly do they actually take the time to time the cams or do they just leave it there??

2. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Maybe they are not just assembly marks, i guess ch cking the timing would confirm provided you check the ferrari way.
    From what others have posted though I do not ever remember the timing marks lining up but they are allways close.

3. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    #253 johnk..., Dec 31, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2017
    Much like Ferrari Chat. And a culture has developed around he said she said information, passed on over and over again. Never the less, As I said in the TDC thread, the cams, sprockets, crank, drive gears, block, heads are all made of aluminum or steel. So once the car is timed correctly, and since the timing is dependent on the geometry of the parts involved, like center to center distances and diameters, just what is it other that the tolerances in belt length that makes the timing change when a belt is swapped? No one as offered up an answer. James suggests lash in the drive gears, but the amount of lash required to alter timing 1 degree would be so much you would have more the timing problems.

Dave rocks likes this.
  4. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    John - would you please stop making so much sense - my brain is starting to hurt :D ;) :)

5. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky

Assembly marks or otherwise, most would agree that while they may not line up perfectly they are far from being a tooth off. Thus once the cams are pined correctly, putting the belt on so the marks are as close to lined up as possible would be the correct position. 308 owners have been doing that for 40 years.

6. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    I want the answer to Daves assembly marks now. He has me curious, I suspect they were never actually timed.

7. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    I think you answered that above

8. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Earlier in this thread I was strongly criticized for insisting that simple swapping the belts, a so called lock and swap, was a sufficient method for changing the belts on a belt driven cam system, provided the engine is otherwise sound, and showed that such a procedure could not alter timing significantly. I was told I didn't know what I was talking about, had no experience, engineering and math are a joke,.... and so on. Funny things is, one of the detractors just posted this in the 308 section this morning (see post 59) https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/posts/145749648/

Talk about zero credibility.

9. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Hey man, on a best day, the 328 puts out 275 horse power. The 355 pumps out 375 due to its engine running at its peak. The 328 ( I own one) is not as sensitive to lock and swab if your previous timing was done correctly. Technically you can do valve timing on the 308 2V too but nobody cares because it is just that sensitive. For what it is worth, I do valve timing with degree wheel on my own 328.

As for the 355, you still don't know what the eff you are talking about. STFU.

10. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Come on fellas - let's keep it friendly... :)

11. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Alright, the gloves come off, Mr. K.

Have you:

1. Removed a 348 or 355 engine on your own?
    2. Replaced any Ferrari timing belts, 308/328/348/355 for which you have been so freely offering advices to others?
    3. Removed any Ferrari cam shafts to replace cam seals?
    4. Put back said cam shafts to within 0.5 degrees of their previous positions?
    5. Found a way to lock a 348 or 355 crank shaft in a fixed position?
    6. Performed an engine out on a 348 engine after it has been given a lock and swap timing belt job to find that all cam shafts need 3 to 12 degrees of adjustments to bring them back to factory 1 degree specs?
    7. Found that said engine needed 14 of 16 exhaust valves clearance way way too tight and needed adjustment because the lock-and-swab mechanic did not do the valve adjustment with engine in?
    8. Removed said cams to adjust valves and put the cam back to within 0.5 degree of their positions?
    9. Ever did an engine service, not changed the cam seals and have the seals leak right after the service with the customer yelling at you and you now have to do it again?
    10. Ever walked up to a mechanic and told him that he cannot charge you more than your retail for a Ferrari part and NOT been told by him to go masterbate someplace else?

I am willing to bet that you have done none of the above other than your mental exercise from which vantage point you feel so free to offer advice. Now, can you do us all a favor and shut up on this topic?

12. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    i bet cultural anthropologists could write doctoral thesis on message boards...

sjd
    off to make monkey noises and smash something with a discarded femur

vdettore and 97 Spider like this.
  13. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Mitch - I for one learn a lot from John and happen to love his contributions. Also, to know 2+ 2 = 4, one does not need to lay 4 sticks on the ground and count them. Yep - I greatly value experience but you don't always need experience to know what is proper and what is not. Regarding seals, if you have an open mind, John will share some seal facts with you and why replacing them when they don't leak can be a bad thing.

14. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    I read a book on how to play piano once, and I saw a few youtube videos. I can now play the piano.

15. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    #265 johnk..., Jan 3, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
    Once again, you strike out in anger and fail to provide any rebuttal to the simple question of, in an otherwise sound engine, what changes other than belt length that can effect timing? You are the one who claims to have the expertise and experience, and that I am an ignorant fool. Surely you should be able to tell me in a single sentence what changes? That you continually challenge me on other issues makes me think that maybe I am not such a fool as you suggest.

For get all the BS. Forget the history. Address the question as if I am who you assume.

16. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    I challenge your lack of practical experience in applying your theoretical calculations to real life. You still have not provided any answers to my challenge leading me to believe you have none.

17. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Fine. Assume, if you like, I have zero mechanical experience. Never touched an engine in my life. My hands are lily white and soft as fresh snow. So, working on that assumption address the question I have repeatedly posed. What does my experience have to do with it? Forget my analysis. I'm just a dump guy who want to know how changing a time belt can effect timing.

18. 97 Spider

97 Spider Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 15, 2012
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Brian
    So.... on number 6. Obviously the timing was off before the lock and swap. I think that’s part of the whole “lock” part of the equation. If you do a lock and swap on an engine that is 12 degrees off on timing then it will still be 12 degrees off on timing. I can’t imagine that engine was running at peak performance before the procedure.
    If you have an engine that is purring like a kitten and puts down power just it should then, as I guess John has asked, how would a lock and swap change that?

19. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Knowledge and experience are different, often go hand and hand and sometimes they don't. A person trained in music theory could understand it perfectly and still not be able to play. Playing music is a combination of knowledge and skill, skill often bettered thru practice. Understanding the mechanical workings of an engine takes knowledge. Now, experience may prove that to replace part X, part Y needs to be removed first to gain access. But, the experience does not mean someone has more knowledge of the proper workings of the system.

In the last several weeks, I've posted "I was wrong" a handful of times. I'm stubborn yet have an open mind. These treads are more a testament of closed minds than anything else....

20. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    I assume nothing. I observe that you have zero mechanical experience with 348 and 355 engines when it comes to timing belt intricacies for which you offer plenty of advice.

This site, especially this section, is a DIY section for DIY people. If you are working on something and you need help, I will give you all the help I can. This is not a Talk It To Death site. You are all about a debate to see who has the bigger brain. For that, let me say that you have the bigger brain. Now we are done debating.

Challenge likes this.
  21. KMR968Turbo

KMR968Turbo Formula 3

Nov 11, 2007
    Calgary, Alberta
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Treads! You are wrong again! I demand you apologize! ;)

22. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    I'm amazed I can spell my own name - see I'm an engineer after all :D ;)

23. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    So Brian, the first answer is you cannot tell how well your car is acting if that is the car you have been driving for 2 years ... until you jump into someone else's car and feel the difference. The second answer is this a folly of lock and swap. There is no factory provision on a 348 or 355 to lock the crank shaft in a fixed TDC position. There is no marking to even approximate it. There is no window over the flywheel with the PM1-4 marking to say you are almost there. If you knock the crankshaft a degree out of place, you are now out of spec and have to way to know you are out of spec.

There is no need to buy the 300 dollar cam shaft lock tool. Get yourself a $20 timing degree wheel from Summit Racing and follow the 355 WSM. Your car, the 355, is the easiest one of the bunch to do cam timing on. The WSM spells it out to the mm, just follow it. No need to calculate anything, or even look at their valve diagram. It's all there. You have been around a long time, you are not afraid of DIY, take it up.

Finally, if you feel totally happy with the way your car purrs, and want to just do a swap, go ahead. It's your car. The owner of that vehicle in number 6 got in, turned the key over, and said "wow, it even sounds different."

24. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Experience does tell you when theory stops and real life limitations happen. To insist that theories must always happen in real life without any accounting for their limitations is false.

25. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Depending on the method and equipment you are using to find TDC, you may introduce more error than the car had previously. And, the argument John and I have been making are about a correctly timed engine can absolutely have a belt swap without altering that timing. I fully support verifying what the car has first - nobody suggested otherwise, Mitch.

Who sells a $300 cam lock?