I went in for a 5k major, it cost XXXX more and here's what happened" | FerrariChat

I went in for a 5k major, it cost XXXX more and here's what happened"

Discussion in '348/355' started by johnk..., Dec 13, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Ok, the idea behind this thread is that a bare bones major on a 355, including belts, fluids, tensioners, and plugs should cost about $5k +/-, depending on who and where. But frequently we hear about majors costing $10k or more. So, if you have experienced anything remotely like that post just what additional items required service/replacement.

Please limit items to those associated with the engine. Things like tires, brakes, refurbishing interiors, painting bumpers, fixing spider tops, etc, that are ordinary maintenance or personal preference which you chose to have done at the same time should not be considered part of the major.

Also, if you chose to have "while you are in there" done (i.e. recommended but not absolutely necessary) please note them as such.

sawzall77, Flavio_C and steved033 like this.
  2. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    Surprise costs and what they were vs. I agreed to the extras "while i was in there"...right? or list all?

sjd

3. alexion

alexion Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2013
    New York
    I have a Mondial T, so I think I can fit in with the 348/355 crowd.

Had an engine out major service performed in 2014 which included a clutch replacement in 2014, inclusive of tensioners, but no work on the water pump as I was advised against it. There were additional incidentals, mostly cosmetic so I will call it $8000 as the invoice is not in front of me.

A year later my water pump and cam seals developed a significant leak, so it was time for major #2. During this major, the steering rack boots and cv joints were refurbished. During the prior service the fuel line connectors on the fuel rail were over torqued and cracked ($750 each) AC union cracked, one of the adjustable suspension gears cracked. There were additional incidentals here as well, but lets call it $8000.

Most recently, an overhaul of my Valeo ECU, $6000. I know the Valeo ecu is particular to my car but I would imagine ECM's go bad, suspension computers, etc.

4. redwedge

redwedge Formula Junior

Sep 30, 2012
    London
    Full Name:
    Steve C
    A bare bones major to include those items in the UK is about £1500. My last major went up to £4k and included some welding of the engine subframe, new brake lines, CV boots, water pump bearing, engine mounts, some water pipes, a new central undertray and some electrical gremlins.

Robb likes this.
  5. Challenge

Challenge Formula 3

Sep 27, 2002
    PA
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I went in for a $5000 major and I had 2 cracked gaskets between my Hyperflows and Tubi. I approved the spot welding to fix this and the additional $100 in labor.

Robb likes this.
  6. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
    My dealer advertises a similar amount for a "bare-bones" major service. I was quoted about $15k as my suspension warning light is on and the speedometer is not working. My service isn't until the first week or so of January. Lets see what happens.

7. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    A) I think 5K is very much on the low side
    B) these cars are approaching 20 years old, and a lot of the plastic and rubber components SHOULD be <ahem> renewed at any major.

It basically costs $2500 just to pull the engine and push it back in there.
    Then there are parts, labor, and unexpected things worthy of being maintained--maintained because you don't want to have them cause an issue when they are hard to reach mid-way to your next scheduled engine out.

8. Klas

Klas Formula Junior

Mar 17, 2014
    Gothenburg, Sweden
    Full Name:
    Klas Nilsson
    Maybe not interesting, but comparing the prices with Sweden were I live, an ordinary major is around $3000 inc oil service for my F355. (authorised dlr) Seem a lot cheaper than in US. Last major I was advised to also exchange the waterpump at the same time which I did. Also changed cam belts, tensioners and alternstor tensioner and some other small stuff. This ended up to $4000 (when I convert the currency rate)

Flavio_C, DaisyCutter and Robb like this.
  9. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Right.
    I don't know how the UK guys can do it for 1500 pounds, or quids as they call them.

10. redwedge

redwedge Formula Junior

Sep 30, 2012
    London
    Full Name:
    Steve C
    How long does it take to drop the engine and get it back in, if you do it for a living? I can't see it taking more than a day. Add another half-day for belts/timing/fluids. Seems reasonable to me. Actually, make it a whole day for those jobs. Then double it. I suppose you might just then make it to $5,000.

I'm amazed that dealers are quoting $15k dollars to fix a suspension light, based on nothing, and expecting to get the work.

brianweekes, thorn and Robb like this.
  11. LAracer

LAracer Karting

Jan 4, 2008
    Northern NM
    Full Name:
    Phil
    Good idea for a thread.

My '98 has over 70k miles, so this may not be typical. Before opening everything up, my mechanic found low compression and poor leakdown on a few cylinders. Guides were fine since they were done at 60k, but valves needed to be machined and 'while we were in there' we went ahead a replaced piston rings. ~$20k total. This also included water pump, tensioners, and the usual stuff. It stung, but the car is generally in very good condition, so I figure it's good to go for a while. It's also very well documented with pictures etc, which may be important if I ever decide to sell this high-mile car (not that I'm considering it right now).

G. Pepper likes this.
  12. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    #12 Qavion, Dec 13, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2017
    The suspension warning light may be on because your speedometer system isn't working. It could be a speedo sensor (common failure). Last time I checked, they weren't $10,000.

If not the speedo sensor causing your suspension warning light, some suspension defects can be fixed for less than $20.

13. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    I'd request an itemized quote. Love to know how they arrived at that figure.

AceMaster, PaulK and Robb like this.
  14. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Well, it's Australia. Things ARE expensive. The 355 are $200K there.

paulchua and PaulK like this.
  15. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Nope - Paul lives in MI, Mitch ;)

16. Enzojr

Enzojr F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2013
    West of PDX
    Full Name:
    Tomy
    I know ?
    How much to ship my 355 to Europe for a major .......lol

17. Yassa

Yassa Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2011
    London
    Full Name:
    Dr Yassa Hughes
    I paid 10k CAD for a major last year, including new tensioners, clutch, battery and installation of test pipes all around. At that time the exchange rate was a bit better so it was something like 7500$ USD. I think that's a good price.

18. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    I have a 20 page invoice from a previous owner I can post if people would like. Total cost was $20k+ at the end. You can watch the rabbit hole they went down tracing a misfire, including valve guides (which it may have indeed needed). End cause was a bad fuel injector. I think the car was sold shortly after - not sure if the service was to prepare it for sale or left such a bad taste that it resulted in the sale.

brianweekes and vdettore like this.
  19. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    So while were on the operating table you want a tummy tuck and breast implants to go with that colonoscopy? Maybe a hooter on the back for when your dancing?

20. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    So what's wrong with the shop that they could diagnose a bad injector for a reasonable cost?

21. PAUL500

PAUL500 F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2013
    The £1500 in the UK is engine out, swap just the two belts for new ones, engine back in. I bet no one has ever come away simply spending £1500. It starts with "oh your tensioners also need replacing that will be another £££ oh your cams seals are leaking, a further £££ etc etc. It was £2200 with Dick Lovetts (main dealer) in Swindon for the £1500 indi charge and that ended up just shy of £4k in the end and that was me reigning them in for another host of work they claimed needed sorting on my buddys 355 last year which I told him was not essential.

22. ricmat

ricmat Formula Junior

Aug 29, 2016
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Ricardo
    Come on guys. We all love these cars etc, but let’s get real - 7500 for a car service is never! a good price. Never. It’s 7500!!

A good price would be $50. But let’s face it, that’s not possible, so it is what it is.

But let’s not kid ourselves, these cars are expensive to run. And that’s the truth!

cavlino, vdettore and paulchua like this.
  23. Yassa

Yassa Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2011
    London
    Full Name:
    Dr Yassa Hughes
    7500$ compared to some who have 12-15k in a major...thats a good price comparatively speaking. 50$ wont even get my skateboard serviced :)

24. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    $50 doesn't get much of anything serviced anymore...(insert hooker joke here)

G. Pepper, paulchua and Yassa like this.
  25. PeteyP

PeteyP Formula Junior

May 3, 2005
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Petey
    #25 PeteyP, Dec 14, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2017
    My $5300 major service cost me just over $11,000....

however, i did a LOT of extra and preventative stuff.

Rebuilt / Recharge AC Compressor
    Water Pump
    Tensioners / Throw Out Bearings
    Motor Mounts

etc

G. Pepper likes this.