I think I need a Mondial... | FerrariChat

I think I need a Mondial...

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by lusso64, Oct 6, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. lusso64

lusso64 Formula 3

Apr 12, 2004
    Simi Valley
    Full Name:
    David
    Since my dad smashed up our family car (Oldsmobile Alero) we need to get a car capable of carrying at least 3 kids plus the driver. I have been looking at a BM 3 series convertible (2002-4 model), but for the same money I can get a Mondial..... I am open to any model, but would ideally prefer a late 3.2 cab with ABS.

Already have a 355 and a minivan, so I think a mondial would fill the gap nicely.

So, my questions to those that know are:

1. What sort of mileage do you get (and what model do you have!) SHE wants to know :)
    2. Does the convertible top have any major issues (again - what model)
    3. Anything that "I should know before I buy"
    4. Any general sugestions?

Thanks in advance, Dave

2. Dave

Dave F1 Rookie

Apr 15, 2001
    Little Rock
    Full Name:
    David Jones
    Well it may be just me,
    but if I were hauling 3 kids around I wouldn't be doing it in a Mondial.

3. buckminster

buckminster Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2005
    On the water, SWFL
    Full Name:
    Nicholas Raftis
    I had an 88, and I had a ***** of a time getting that top up with only one person. With two, at least a couple of minutes.

I also had the original top and bought a new top while I owned it, and the new top worked no better. Its a lame design.

Aside from that, I think a hardtop would be a great car, fun to drive, and inexpensive to acquire (notice I didn't say "own") Just make sure you do your homework, because you can end up spending another ten grand after you buy it to make everything function correctly.

PS: Read everything on this site about the 308/328/348 because they have the same drivetrain and a lot of the same problems. Learn to love the SEARCH function.

PSS: For her, my carb. 1979 308 gets about 16 mpg, and I think the Mondial about the same if not driven too crazy.

4. buzzm2005

buzzm2005 Formula 3

Aug 23, 2005
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Buzz
    I just got an '89 Mondial t cabriolet.

1. I filled the tank (22.5 gallons) and reset the trip odometer. At 156 miles I filled up again. Only 5.5 gallons! Do the math. There wasn't a lot of spirited driving the past 1.5 weeks, just leisurely runs from NYC to NJ in 5th gear with the engine turning at 3000 RPM. I'm sure that will drop to 16-18 with your foot to the floor between each gear and taking the motor to 7400 rpm.

2. I had issues with the top when I bought it because I fought and swore at it. Then, I realized I had to approach the problem as if I was a medium-build 5' 8" Italian making love to a woman. Now I can get the top up and latched in under 30 seconds without really rushing it. Each top has a personality and a "set-up order"; you just have to figure it out. But muscling it doesn't help.

3. Get books and records. These cars are at least 12 years old, some (the original Mondial 8) are 23. Many of these cars were not kept as collector items and have been run into the ground. Verify that fluids were changed annually and that a "major" repair was done within the past 5 years or 15000 miles.

4. Random info:
    ABS was not available on the 3.2, only starting with the t in 1989.
    The more you drive the car, the better it runs.
    I can fit 9 and 11 year old in the back no problem in the seats.

5. sjmst

sjmst F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Sam
    I believe at least the 88 3.2 had ABS

6. Michael B

Michael B F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 28, 2004
    US of A
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Do not hesitate. This is a great idea. These cars are an excellent choice for running around with 3 others & having fun while doing it.

Buy as new of one as you can afford.

I have a 3.4 liter "t" and I record 19-20 MPG. However, dont buy one of these looking for a gas savings. Buy one to have fun, even while hauling the kids. My "t" has a booster seat in back @ all times, and it has never let us down on the fun factor.

7. lusso64

lusso64 Formula 3

Apr 12, 2004
    Simi Valley
    Full Name:
    David
    Have no fear - I will not hesitate on this at all :)

I just want to save myself some grief down the track, even though I am familiar with the 308/328 driveline (had a GT4 for 7 years in Australia) and have a 355 now. I want a driver, not a show pony.

I am just hoping for some feedback from those that have these cars with anecdotal tales on what has been good and what has been bad.

I bought my 355 from a well known member of this group and have had nothing but joy from this car, so I have the utmost respect for the group as a whole. I know there are wrotten apples etc., but as I maintain - on the whole this group is great and has regularly provided sound advice. So please, if you have experience with these cars, speak up and share your .02 (or more) worth.

Dave

8. Beau365

Beau365 Formula 3

Feb 27, 2005
    Congested London
    Full Name:
    Beau
    I have a "T" for touring across Europe, and it's quite superb. On a leisurely run you get upto 24mpg, plus the back seats fold down for extra luggage, with some very nice leather straps for tethering down items.
    Basically, it's a 348 with more usable space, better handling chassis, and 355 adjustable damping - but don't tell everyone.

9. SOFTWAREGUY

SOFTWAREGUY Karting

Oct 20, 2004
    If you use of the minivan, this is a great choice.

However, if you plan to take a lot of trips with all four seats filled, I would think again.

The car is terrific to drive.

I would not want to be a back seat passenger for long drives and sitting behind me ( I am 5' 11"). You can get a reasonably sized person in, but there is no wiggle room. I have children (ages 3 and 6). Shop for child seats that seem to have a curve similar to the back seat. It will allow the seat to be pushed further back and give the kids more room.

Fuel economy is poor by todays standards (EPA was 10 city, 18 highway for my 1982 Mondial 8). I seem to do better, averaging more like 13 - 22.

One last thing to consider is repairs. When my other cars go in for service, I expect the car back in a day or two. When the Mondail goes in, I have no idea how long it will be.

Good luck.

10. Ed P.

Ed P. Formula 3

Dec 28, 2002
    Long Island
    Full Name:
    No Longer
    I have an 88 3.2 cab. I would say my MPG is about 10 - 12 since most of the time I drive it it's not for commuting. I think it would increase to around 15-16 if driven normally. I don't think I would use this car to replace a daily driver for taking 3 kids around. My daughters are petite and still complain about the back seats, (and their hair getting messed up from the wind). As for the top, it is pretty easy to operate as long as you're not a maniac with it. You usually have to help the rear windows along because they bind up with the top a little. The clips that secure the top to the windshield frame can break if you're not careful, so you need to have the top in position before you snap them in rather than use them for leverage. I think I would take this manual design over the automatic one like on a 355 because of the problems I have seen with those tops getting stuck and then you can't even move your car.
    If you plan on having your wife drive this car she should start working out now to build up her upper body strength since 3.2s don't have power steering, although it would really only be an issue when moving slowly for parking etc. So if power steering is important, look at a T. Someone above mention that Ts only have ABS. It came standard on some 3.2 in late 87s and all 88s.
    In the "general suggestions " department, here's my 2 cents: While I feel my car is very reliable, there is still the underlying feeling of "is this the day I'm going to break down". So, the later model BMW you mentioned might be a more rational decision for the purposes you mention. On the other hand if you really just want this car and are using the fact that it has 4 seats to rationalize it to your wife, then go for it!

11. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    I have had a 3.2 coupe for 9 years. for 5 years it was a daily driver, and used to take trips with my daughter since she was 3 yo in the back seat. She is now 12 and never wants to sell the car that is a family member. As said, the more you drive them the better they do.
    The Mondial is an incredibly brilliant piece of capability packaging which is appreciated more every year. Mid engine, 2+2, tons of space and headroom, great handling and pretty quick in the later cars. As with most Pininfarina 2+2 designs, the styling subtleties appreciate over time.

There are couple of 'daily driver' recommendations I would have that are Mondial specific:

In the ppi, be sure that the electrical system is thoroughly checked - EVERY switch cycled and function checked. The fusebox is the car's biggest weak point.

The original equipment tires on all models, either Michelin TRX or Goodyear Gatorbacks, are crap. Changing to a newer technology tire will improve the ride, lower the noise (a lot!) and improve steering effort. With the TRX's, you will have to change from the metric wheel; a popular FChat option has been 348 wheels which are a direct bolt-on, although there are many options. The later 3.2s and t cars all have 16" wheels already.

Good luck and have fun!

12. buzzm2005

buzzm2005 Formula 3

Aug 23, 2005
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Buzz
    That was me. Whoops.

13. Ed P.

Ed P. Formula 3

Dec 28, 2002
    Long Island
    Full Name:
    No Longer
    We'll let you slide this time.... ;) Hey (off topic) are you going to the FoLI concours on sunday? If so, I'll see you there.

14. FasterIsBetter

FasterIsBetter F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2004
    NoNJ/Jupiter FL
    Full Name:
    Steve W.
    Too bad you're not an EC'er. You could buy my '84 Mondial QV Euro. It would be perfect for you.

15. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    I have had an '83 Mondial QV for almost a year, and have had it registered and on the road since this past spring. I have put about 3K miles on it this summer. The car is great! Lots of fun, great sound, good power, very sharp looking, but does not attract the kind of attention that my 308 gets. Not as quick as my 308 either. It's comfortable. So far it has been extremely reliable. I did the belts and a valve adjustment, etc. last winter and haven't done squat to it all summer. I have driven it a lot all summer, pretty much every day except when raining or driving the 308. The trunk is useable. I took it to Home depot and brought back bricks in it the other day (don't ask). I take it to the grocery store all the time. My daughter loves it. It's not so low that you can't go over a speed bump like the 308.

Now the downsides. It's noisy inside, even with the windows & sunroof closed. It is not a quiet family car. It's a Ferrari that holds 4 people. The steering is heavy, much heavier than the 308. This may be due to the 348 wheels on mine, but even with the stock wheels/tires were heavier than the 308 in steering feel. It tramlines like crazy on a grooved road, which my 308 does not. It has the typical slow windows which are still slow even after I rebuilt both mechanisms and re-lubed them. They are infamous for fusebox issues. (Mine has none since the last owner replaced the whole fusebox with one from a 3.2 after the car died on him a few times.) It gets terrible gas milage--15 to 18 MPG at best. The headlight and directional stalks are notoriously fragile. For me, the seating position could be better. When the pedals are comfortable, the steering wheel is too close. I have short legs though.

That's about it. I love the car. It's a practical Ferrari....almost.

Birdman

16. CliffBeer

CliffBeer Formula 3

Apr 3, 2005
    Seattle, Washington
    Full Name:
    Cliff
    I have an '88 3.2 Mondial cab with ABS. The car is well maintained and in great tune but only gets around 12 or 13 miles to the gallon with modestly spirited driving. The top goes up and down easily once you know the motion (less than 30 seconds either direction). The top a) seals nicely when up, and b) is suprisingly compact when down. This compactness allows for full seating in the rear seats with top up or down - honest 4 seater, not a 2+2 (midgets) like my 911. Highly recommend this particular model ('88 with ABS) as it has the modern appointments (PW, PM, PDL, modern engine mgmt) while still being simple enough to do much of the work yourself if you're a DIYer. Plus, you get to have all the wind-in-your-hair Ferrari driving fun with your wife and the kids right next to you. Believe me, it's a cool way to arrive at the restaurant with the family - how many mini-vans get the front row valet parking spots?

17. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    #17 snj5, Oct 8, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  18. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    D'oh! I'm busted!! ;)

Lets just say my wife is nice enough to let me think it's mine. Then again, whose name is on the title and insurance????? Hmmmmm.....

She and a girlfriend took it out for a spin the other night to see if they could get any attention from men. Two hotties in a Ferrari. They did pretty well...got a few cat calls and honks! I don't get that when I drive it!!

Birdman

19. buzzm2005

buzzm2005 Formula 3

Aug 23, 2005
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Buzz
    Unlikely, given the weather. It's not so much that I don't want to take the t out in the rain; it's that we'll end up doing rainy-day errands.