348 - I scored a tool kit for my car, where exactly does it go? | FerrariChat

348 I scored a tool kit for my car, where exactly does it go?

Discussion in '348/355' started by Donkeykong87, Mar 17, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Donkeykong87

Donkeykong87 Karting

Aug 31, 2020
    Peoria, IL
    Full Name:
    Johnny Smith
    I got a tool kit and the manual off eBay for, what I think was a steal...$1,000. It had been sitting for a number of months and I had been watching it as it was priced at $2,200 OBO and I really didn't want to spend that. My car didn't come with either the tool kit or the manual and folder, but I was most interested in the tool kit. I put in an OBO of $1,000 one night while I was looking at eBay waiting for another tool kit to pop up in that price range, what could the seller say, no? I went to bed and woke up to an accepted offer for the $1,000!!

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Here's my frunk...where does it go exactly? Clearly I need to do some work in here, but if it straps in, those straps are long gone and I don't know what they look like to replace them. Can anybody help here?

***On one further note, I'm missing 1 screwdriver, if anybody has an extra one or knows where I might get one I'd appreciate the info.

2. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    You can reorder the missing cuoio leather belt with attachment screws from a parts supplier. It is still available as new.

it goes to the middle right side on your photo on the bottom of the floor.

I think these tool boxes seem to sell for between 600 and 1000 by themselves. The owners leather pouch with full books normally goes for 550 or more.

Robb

3. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    Leather straps are pop riveted on. Two rivets per end. You should be able to see the holes through the liner.

I can confirm the straps are still available new; and about the cheapest part you will ever buy!!! Look on ferrariparts.co.uk for the diagram.

Robb likes this.
  4. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    Make sure you have the rubber grommets (available new) for the floor. You put them on from the outside/underside of the car.

sjd

Donkeykong87 and Robb like this.
  5. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
  6. Donkeykong87

Donkeykong87 Karting

Aug 31, 2020
    Peoria, IL
    Full Name:
    Johnny Smith
    So what prevents the tool kit from just sliding around left to right?

7. Donkeykong87

Donkeykong87 Karting

Aug 31, 2020
    Peoria, IL
    Full Name:
    Johnny Smith
    Appreciate that info!

8. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    your carpets look like they've been damp.

9. allandwf

allandwf Formula Junior

Aug 27, 2011
    Scotland UK
    Strap goes through the handle.

10. Donkeykong87

Donkeykong87 Karting

Aug 31, 2020
    Peoria, IL
    Full Name:
    Johnny Smith
    Agreed, but I had them peeled back to try and find some straps...there's no damage underneath, looks brand new.

steved033 likes this.
  11. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    Did you get the tire inflation bottle with the tool kit? These can be incredibly expensive to replace if you are looking for one with the prancing horse emblem on it. You can buy a substitute can at any auto parts store for a fraction of the cost of an original.

Personally, I think it stinks that we see so many tool kits that have been separated from the cars they came in. If the tool kit came with the car when you bought it, it should go with the car when you sell it. No two ways about it.

allandwf, bjwhite, GTO Joe and 2 others like this.
  12. Donkeykong87

Donkeykong87 Karting

Aug 31, 2020
    Peoria, IL
    Full Name:
    Johnny Smith
    I agree with you 100%! I don't have that other stuff either, the picture of my trunk is literally what came with the car...NOTHING! I clearly see why the tool kits are separated, "I can sell this car for x amount of dollars and then sell the tool kit, manuals and pouch for upwards of $2,000 after the fact". I know that's what people are doing. I asked when I bought the car about them...they didn't have them, I'm not sure when they got separated from the car, but they did somewhere along the line.

13. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    Luggage too. I wonder if mine still is where I knew it used to be.

sjd

albert328gts likes this.
  14. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    As above, strap goes through the handle; but it still slides either side the length of the handle. This marks up the leather nicely!!!

15. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    Cars didn't come with luggage though.

16. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    I was secretly hoping my window sticker would prove you wrong, but it didn't.

sjd

Julia and bjwhite like this.
  17. ScottS

ScottS F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 2, 2004
    Winter Park
    Full Name:
    Scott S
    #17 ScottS, Mar 20, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2021
    There is a thread on 360/430 on the straps from an outside source for a very reasonable amount as well as a link to the pop rivet gun that you can get on Amazon for like $10

Trunk Strap Replacement
    https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/topic?share_fid=9080&share_tid=622523&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Eferrarichat%2Ecom%2Fforum%2Findex%2Ephp%3Fthreads%2FTrunk-Strap-Replacement%2E622523%2F&share_type=t&link_source=app

Mine were quoted by the dealer is coming off and they wanted something like $1000 to do it and replace it and I did it for a fraction of the price

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. Donkeykong87

Donkeykong87 Karting

Aug 31, 2020
    Peoria, IL
    Full Name:
    Johnny Smith
    That’s very helpful info, thank you!

19. Donkeykong87

Donkeykong87 Karting

Aug 31, 2020
    Peoria, IL
    Full Name:
    Johnny Smith
    No, even if your sticker said your car “came” with the luggage...it would have been listed as an option as it would have had to be purchased that way.