I got the engine light on and local dealer quoted for $6,500??? | FerrariChat

I got the engine light on and local dealer quoted for $6,500???

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by carlovers2021, Jul 3, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. carlovers2021

carlovers2021 Karting

Mar 25, 2021
    Full Name:
    chandra siauw
    My 2012 F-California got engine light and surprised with high cost estimate to fix… anyone experience the same thing??

This is the diagnosis from the check engine light.
    My Tech found the issue with your car. The fault is in the secondary air
    system for emissions for low air flow. The exhaust manifolds are plugged
    from carbon build up in the secondary air ports not allowing air to flow
    into the catalytic convertors. His recommendation is to remove the exhaust
    manifolds and mechanically clean the ports out allowing the needed airflow. Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

2. SLViper1

SLViper1 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2014
    Nashville/Destin
    Full Name:
    Steve
  3. Jb-Slow

Jb-Slow Karting

May 11, 2020
    I don't really have any useful info but I'm kinda amazed Ferrari is still using air injection when the rest of the world ditched it back in the early 90s

4. carlovers2021

carlovers2021 Karting

Mar 25, 2021
    Full Name:
    chandra siauw
  5. carlovers2021

carlovers2021 Karting

Mar 25, 2021
    Full Name:
    chandra siauw
    36,000 miles

6. SLViper1

SLViper1 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2014
    Nashville/Destin
    Full Name:
    Steve
    This is another interesting thread about carbon build up in the Cali:

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/carbon-removal.638871/

Mar 19, 2021
    Finally I,m getting my 2012 cali . Has 35000 KM on odo.
    Had it checked by the dealer before I bought it. It came back with an excellent report , but they recommended new plugs and carbon removal .Charged me almost 4k for the work.
    Just curious how often should or have to be done .

7. straightpipe

straightpipe Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 23, 2007
    West Chester, PA
    Full Name:
    Tom
    That would piss anyone off, Permanent solution to this emissions CR*P, buy (my) trouble free 72 C4. Sorry to hear this

8. Llenroc

Llenroc F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Vern
    That’s a bit steep I would say. I removed my factory headers on my 458 and replaced them with an aftermarket set and that took me about six hours to do and I did a lot foolin’ around. I know the ports that they are referring to and I could see how they could get plugged with carbon. To clean them out would probably take an hour and half if you did it by hand, with a media blaster 10 min. tops

whatheheck likes this.
  9. Dave Bertrand

Dave Bertrand Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 24, 2005
    Castle Rock, CO
    This is a very common problem on the 993 variant of the Porsche 911, and your tech's diagnosis and explanation are right on the mark. On the 993, the fix can be done quite a bit cheaper, but we're talking about a modern Ferrari.

@Jb-Slow Porsche used this air injection system in the 911 at least until the 997.2, which was introduced in 2009.

10. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    License to steal, the mafia should get a stranglehold on these dealerships and tax them, and if they dont pay up, suffer the consequences. lol

Thank you

11. garybobileff

garybobileff Formula 3
    Sponsor

Feb 5, 2004
    San Diego CA
    Full Name:
    Gary
    This is a very common problem, and a correct suggested cure ( for the moment) on almost all the newer Ferrari's. We remove, clean, reinstall headers a couple times a month on various cars.
    Gary Bobileff

technom3 and Dave Bertrand like this.
  12. Dave Bertrand

Dave Bertrand Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 24, 2005
    Castle Rock, CO
    I don't know if this is possible on a Ferrari, but for the 993 a very bright guy came up with a simple fix for the Porsches with the same problem. It involves a wiring adapter that is inserted somewhere in the sensor wire that tricks the ECU into thinking the system is fine, and no error code is registered. Thus, no check engine light. The secondary air injection system only operates for the first few seconds after cold start anyway, so really isn't important to have. It's only for emissions compliance.