I got "punked" by spring. | FerrariChat

I got "punked" by spring.

Discussion in 'Rocky Mountain' started by Futureman, Apr 10, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Futureman

Futureman Formula 3

May 16, 2007
    #1 Futureman, Apr 10, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I sit here with peeling skin from an Easter Sunday sunburn with my down jacket hanging on the peg because it was -3 at my house this morning.

Well played, Spring. Well played.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. furmano

furmano Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Furman
    Get used to it. It will happen again next year. Maybe even more than once.

-F

3. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    Next year? You'll get punked two more times THIS year!

4. chas-3

chas-3 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 28, 2009
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Chuck
    Yep, I was so close to being able to get the 348 out of the garage. Another sunny day and the last remnants of snow would have been gone from in front of the garage and down the driveway. But nooo . . . it had to snow again! And the forecast shows more snow next Tuesday. Spring is so fickle. :(

5. Taurean Bull

Taurean Bull Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 10, 2010
    On my way
    Full Name:
    Chad
    Dude, that's your deck? You rock, man.

6. Futureman

Futureman Formula 3

May 16, 2007
    I have a feeling that you are SOOOO right. Oh well...

7. Futureman

Futureman Formula 3

May 16, 2007
    Ditto.

However, the 328 is down for maintenance right now. So I wouldn't be going anywhere anyway.

8. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Rich,
    Your learning curve continues! Be prepared for more all the way to Memorial day. Winter and summer have knock down, dragged out fights every spring in Colorado.

Dave

9. Futureman

Futureman Formula 3

May 16, 2007
    Well, dang. That's gonna throw a wrench into my plans for a Rocky Mountain Crawfish Boil next month.

10. furmano

Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Furman
    Yeah, for those who live in the foothills, you'll get punked again this season. I've been snowed on on Memorial Day and until we reach that date, snowfall would not surprise me in the least.

-F

11. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    People everywhere think their weather is changeable. Most don't even know the meaning of the word. When I hear people from elsewhere brag, I just mention that Denver had a temperature range of -25 to +79 IN ONE MONTH. That normally shuts them up.

Dave

12. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    We really haven't received all that much in the last 48hrs, but it's COLD here in Vail. Down to the teens or single digits even with windchill.

Many years ago, they opened the mountain on July 4th for skiing. True story.

Spring in the mountains!

CW

13. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Four or five years ago, FOD hosted a customer appreciation day at Woody Creek Raceway near Aspen on Memorial Day weekend. The forecast was for cool weather but nothing to worry about. It had been a heavy snow year and Independence pass wasn't open yet, so I had to go from BV over Tennessee pass to I70 and around in my 430. It was below freezing in Leadville but, hey, it's always below freezing in Leadville. On Tennessee pass a few flakes made an appearance but hey, I was going down so no big deal. By the time I got to Minturn, it was snowing heavily with deep, slushy accumulation on I70. Fortunately it turned to rain around Eagle and the rest of the day was quite cold but sunny. Guys coming from Denver through the tunnel had it worse but everyone toughed it out. It might have been the dirtiest assortment of Ferraris, Lotuses and other exotics ever assembled. PhilNotHill had the only clean car.

Rich,
    About the time the possibility of snow ends, hail season begins. You haven't lived until you've been caught in a hail storm. Miss Alabama yet?

Dave

14. furmano

Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Furman
    #14 furmano, Apr 11, 2013
    Yeah, like tonight!

Hey, I thought that's what the snowflake setting is for; when you drive your Ferrari in the snow. ;)

-F
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. Futureman

Futureman Formula 3

May 16, 2007
    Believe me, growing up in Texas I've seen plenty of hail. Ditto for Alabama. My Xterra has hail damage. I've seen baseball sized hail. I was at an Alfa shop in Dallas back in the 90's and there was an Alfa 164 sitting in the lot that had gotten caught in a hail storm in Ft. Worth with grapefruit sized hail. Several people had been killed by the hail in that storm. The Alfa looked like someone had taken a sledge hammer to it. Even the A-pillars were bashed in. It was a total write off.

No. Not even a little.

16. Taurean Bull

Taurean Bull Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 10, 2010
    On my way
    Full Name:
    Chad
    Ahem, I refer you back to the original picture. ;)

I wouldn't miss Tahiti... but then I'm a mountain kinda guy.

17. Futureman

Futureman Formula 3

May 16, 2007
    Ditto. I've actually enjoyed the snow. Especially when I had a working plow truck. Plowing is fun.

18. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    That's good, no big surprise. Bear in mind that Colorado's front range gets more hail than anywhere in N. America.

Dave

19. fjb

fjb Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 12, 2006
    Full Name:
    UNK
    #19 fjb, Apr 12, 2013
  20. chas-3

chas-3 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 28, 2009
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Chuck
    So here we are two days after I bemoan the fact that I couldn't get the 348 out thanks to another spring snow fall. And what happens in those two days? The plate of ice (about 2" thick) in front of the garage melted enough for me to shovel it clear and the driveway has melted completely off! Heading out in a moment to go get the 348 emmisioned. Yes, Lady Spring is a fickle girl.

21. chas-3

chas-3 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 28, 2009
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Chuck
    Well that didn't go as planned. 348 started right up and let her warm up until the fans kicked in. Car was running smooth as silk. Head out on the highway and about 1 mile down the road I get CEL 1/4. Son of a . . . ! Can't pass emissions with a CEL showing. Well I figure the car is running great I'll take it for a short drive, get it really warmed up, come home , reset the ECU and see what I get. Did the reset, let the car idle for 10 minutes, then give it a little blip of the throttle. Bam, CEL 1/4. Off to pull the code(s).

22. Imola2001

Imola2001 Formula Junior

Jul 17, 2005
    SoCO & SoCal
    Full Name:
    Mike C.
    #22 Imola2001, Apr 13, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2013
    Ha! On the weather...

Uggh! On the CEL!

I have driven mine a couple times this year, which seems to match up almost to the number of times I have seen my house this year- LOL

23. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    Closing day here at Vail. 12"+ of fresh pow. Single digit temps. Gusting to 50mph.

Feels more like January. Pond skim is going to be COLD.

CW

24. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    Dumping again today. White out conditions. Another 6-8" before noon.

So much for Spring!

CW

25. Futureman

Futureman Formula 3

May 16, 2007
    A foot at my house so far.