I finally have 50679. | Page 3 | FerrariChat

I finally have 50679.

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by bjwhite, Apr 16, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    #51 bjwhite, Jul 28, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Only a small amount of progress yesterday. I need to more fully fix the Fuel door button....but I can hold it tightly at its connection and get the switch to work. However, even when I got it to fire, the fuel door didn't open.

So I took the door out and fully lubricated the spring itself....and cleaned and lubed the metal actuator arm. See the spring on the fuel door. The reason this spring needs to be clean and lubricated is that the spring coils themselves actually move slightly..and if they are gummed up then the force of the spring is actually a bit less....preventing the door from swinging out on its own "power".

Also lubricate the actuator arm as well...mainly because moving this by hand from the trunk lever seems quite easy, but a 30 year old solenoid may not have that much force.

So now, see the video. Easy pleasy! :) Also, sorry for the second blurry pic. You guys get the idea.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    #52 bjwhite, Aug 5, 2014
  3. Faber

Faber Formula Junior

May 5, 2011
    TX Hill Country
    Full Name:
    Tom G.
    Love the color of your 400 & like the thread - Thanks!

4. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    #54 bjwhite, Aug 6, 2014
  5. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    #55 bjwhite, Aug 13, 2014
    A quick update....not too much other stuff going on. I haven't completely finished putting together the center console with the new levers, but I decided to drive it 200 miles to Portland from Seattle as I had some meetings down in Portland today. Other than it becoming a total downpour mid-way and me almost putting the car off the road when there was a huge puddle in a construction zone (pucker factor 10) the car drove perfectly and comfortably--doing what it was designed to do--long distance touring.

I did end up fixing the idle. The previous owner had adjusted the linkage up--not entirely sure why but I adjusted the idle screws on the linkage back down and it now idles at 800-1000 depending on temp. I'll do a better calibration of the injection later..but for now it's fine by ear and drivability.

A few pics for fun.

6. RonJr

RonJr Karting

Sep 12, 2005
    Washington, DC.
    Full Name:
    Ron
    I am late to the party here, nonetheless a HUGE congratulations. I love this car. Enjoy!!

7. ScottS

ScottS F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 2, 2004
    Winter Park
    Full Name:
    Scott S
    Oh yeah I forgot to mention sign me up on the wait list to be next owner from you :).

Congrats. Looks fantastic

Scott

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    #58 bjwhite, Sep 10, 2014
    Well, well. It's been a while since I've updated--mainly been busy working on garage organization vs working on the car. But there has been some minor movement.

So during the drive to Portland, I ended up hitting a massive puddle--after that I heard a very slight difference in the exhaust tone--almost like a fan was on sometimes.

Turns out, this was the right hand catalytic convert was starting to clog. A few days after getting back to Seattle, I happened to really hear something loud...again blowing air but this was clear it was a clogged exhaust. The hose that is off the bung (on the cat itself) that runs the air pump to the cats had disconnected and cracked. This was because hot exhaust air was now pushing UP the hose instead of down the hose from the air pump.

I placed the hose back on the cat thinking that was the extent of the noise, and went on a short drive but the car bogged down during load and the hose popped off again, this time cracking due to the heat. I pulled over, beat the cat with the lug wrench which seemed to clear it up enough to drive it back to my shop.

So I put the car away for a week or so. I was working up at the shop and had the car up on the lift to investigate when I decided to beat the hell out of the cat with a hammer. Later that day, I started the car and revved it a little bit and then shut it off......a while later I was walking around organizing the boxes when some crunching happened under my feet---turns out cat internals had blown out of the right side exhaust when I started it! Amazing.

So I beat it again, started it and really revved on it and look at all this crap that came out of the right side exhaust. WOW. haha......pretty awesome. My new exhaust can't get here soon enough. (from Germany).

Then as I was organizing boxes of parts, I found a full set of Cibie HCR H4/H1 european headlights I had packed away. So now the car has proper headlights--for the first time since being brought into the US back in 1985. Before and after pics shown.

9. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    #59 bjwhite, Oct 20, 2014
    Not too many updates. Car runs a lot better with that clogged cat out of the way. I've been doing little tiny things here and there. I need to finish the center console switches--figuring out the rear fog light switch. Figuring out the front driving lights. Seems someone went in and changed their operation--I guess that the rear fog light switch now operates the front driving lights like fogs, but it is since been messed up. I'm not sure.

I went out for a nice drive this past week when the weather was nice. I snapped a pic on the road by my house.

10. Faber

Faber Formula Junior

May 5, 2011
    TX Hill Country
    Full Name:
    Tom G.
    Great pic! Love that color.

11. MrKazimi

MrKazimi Karting

Oct 7, 2014
    Kuwait
    Full Name:
    Dr. Mohammad
    Congratulations! one of my favorite Ferrari's.
    I'm leaning toward one after seeing this; manual would be my 1st option but won't say no to automatic!

12. DaveO_48

DaveO_48 Karting

Jul 29, 2013
    Henderson, Nv
    Full Name:
    David Odland

13. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    Yep--which is why people were actually stealing cats earlier in the decade....now most places have restrictions on the number of cats you can bring in for recycling.

14. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    A single cat is worth $140!

15. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    #65 bjwhite, Nov 29, 2014
  16. Faber

Faber Formula Junior

May 5, 2011
    TX Hill Country
    Full Name:
    Tom G.
    Ha..again, good thread and that's a beautiful color! Too busy to post in TX with all the great driving weather….(-*

17. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    the color. thanks for posting. have you posted the interior?

18. rustytractor

rustytractor Formula 3

Mar 25, 2012
    London
    Full Name:
    Russell Schacter
    Here's the latest photo of my 400, taken when I last drove it a few months ago when the weather was nice.

One day I'll post more photos of the 365 - if it ever comes back with brakes that don't leak fluid despite a total rebuild !

19. rustytractor

rustytractor Formula 3

Mar 25, 2012
    London
    Full Name:
    Russell Schacter
    or rather here isn't the photo !

That's what happens when your subscription has (apparently) expired and you don't notice the message saying "you've exceeded your quota..." before pressing submit.

I'm such an idiot sometimes.....

20. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
  21. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    #71 bjwhite, Nov 30, 2014
    I think a couple of interior posts have made it up here.....but I went out for a quick drive today because it was sunny and cold and snapped this one for you.

So....
    * Yes, it's dirty. It's in a completely non-detailed state.
    * Yes I still have the center console sort of taken apart and the radio removed.
    * I'll finish this up sometime this winter. :) I'd like a replacement shift boot/gaiter.

22. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    #72 bjwhite, Dec 22, 2014
    I'm pretty excited. I received word a couple of days ago that my exhaust was loaded onto the ship and it left port last week (Germany)....I should receive it here in Seattle Jan 8th thereabouts.

The ship is just leaving the English Channel.

23. abilliet

abilliet Formula Junior

Dec 5, 2006
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Antony Billiet
    #73 abilliet, Dec 22, 2014
  24. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006