I finally got an Ascot tie again. | FerrariChat

I finally got an Ascot tie again.

Discussion in 'Fine Watches, Jewelry, & Clothes' started by bitzman, Sep 26, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    I know, I know, how terribly pretentious. And it wasn't easy to find in the Inland Empire. I had to order it from New Yawk City. But I'm a big fan of movies depicting the British upper classes and that's what they wore in the '30s through '50s. Even found a picture of the Lord March* that runs Goodwood wearing one. Not sure if it's also called cravat. For me it was a necessity because of an affliction popularly called "gizzard neck" which identifies you as either a turkey vulture or an old person. I won't go as far as sporting a cane, after all I'm just a kid at 76....

*More formal title Charles Henry Gordon-Lennox, 11th Duke of Richmond, 11th Duke of Lennox, 11th Duke of Aubigny, 6th Duke of Gordon DL (born 8 January 1955), styled Lord Settrington until 1989, and Earl of March and Kinrara from 1989 to 2017

Photos: Lord March sporting his Ascot and regular spectacles...Lord of Nothing (me) in the sunglasses and Panama. Now if I could only find white and black lace-up wingtips.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

rdefabri, Island Time and wax like this.
  2. JP365

JP365 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    John F
    You mean spectators like these?
    https://3dmlifestyle.com/products/spectator-wingtip-oxford-black-white?variant=30004167628&currency=USD&utm_medium=product_sync&utm_source=google&utm_content=sag_organic&utm_campaign=sag_organic&gclid=Cj0KCQjwzbv7BRDIARIsAM-A6-2ddP2sVCx_LlfeAEFum9c-spzTtQHhyVtonDw9KdEywVlxlJoyLUwaApkzEALw_wcB

3. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    Is Spectator the brand? I found some that look like that but white, even white shoelaces, but they have these rubber circular cleats on the bottom (used) so if I buy them can I jerk those cleats out but if anyone seems the bottoms and all those nickel sized holes won't it will be terribly unchic to have converted golf shoes so I can use them walking on cement?

4. JP365

JP365 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    John F
    Spectator is the style. Just type in spectator shoe and your size and you’ll find plenty of manufacturers from cheap $40 pairs to several hundred dollars. I have a cheap pair of tan and white ones I wear while looking for the perfect pair.

5. JP365

JP365 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    John F
    If you are looking for high quality spectators, John Lobb, Allen Edmonds, Carmina, and others do limited runs every summer. AE has been known to make shoes out of season if you ask at their stores. My guess is they probably have a few pairs at the warehouse in Wisconsin. If you just want a cheap pair for fun, Stacy Adams always has them in stock.

6. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    I'm buying them used so won't even think of John Lobb et al. I'll also send a picture of my "diamond" watch I wear to car shows, one with "diamonds" interpreted loosely....

7. JP365

JP365 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    John F
    Then I’d go with the Allen Edmonds. Several pairs on eBay, some NOS
    Can’t wait to see the final ensemble!

8. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    Thanks for the support. I was shocked to see that Ralph Lauren is promoting for 2020 in his Purple Label line a vest that is right out of the 1890's with double breasted buttons and little collars (collarlettes?). I don't think I will go that far. WWD says he sees it as his mission to do homages to the past
    "Having stuck to his sartorial guns for so many years, even when many abandoned the traditional suit, the tie, and the tone-on-tone look in favor of laid-back fare, Ralph Lauren has come out blazing for fall, marking the 25th anniversary of Purple Label with a look back at his traditionally tailored designs over the years.

Purple Label was, from its inception, a battle cry: Twenty-five years ago men were still wearing suits, yes, but they’d gone big and baggy, with pleat fronts and fabric pooling over shoes. Purple Label was a great act of nostalgia for a time when suits made the man, and were tailored to fit, or at least fit the way Ralph wanted, with broad shoulders, wide lapels, a contoured waist and shorter length.

9. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    Thanks for the encouragement to comment on trends. I was surprised Ralph Lauren, for his 2020 Purple Label, is promoting some vest that's got to be 1890s. but then even a few years ago I was surprised to see all those collar pin ads when I haven't seen a collar pin for sale for 30 years. What planet is he on?
    WWD says
    "Having stuck to his sartorial guns for so many years, even when many abandoned the traditional suit, the tie, and the tone-on-tone look in favor of laid-back fare, Ralph Lauren has come out blazing for fall, marking the 25th anniversary of Purple Label with a look back at his traditionally tailored designs over the years.

Purple Label was, from its inception, a battle cry: Twenty-five years ago men were still wearing suits, yes, but they’d gone big and baggy, with pleat fronts and fabric pooling over shoes. Purple Label was a great act of nostalgia for a time when suits made the man, and were tailored to fit, or at least fit the way Ralph wanted, with broad shoulders, wide lapels, a contoured waist and shorter length."
    " Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    Only update on the shoes, I don't know where Stacy Adams rates, probably the Chevy Malibu of dress shoes, Found these two tones in my closet, sort of match the mismatched jacket (ivory) and trousers (white). Next to buy is double breasted white vest a la Tom Wolfe. Heard about retro clothing store in Covina, will check it out and report on it. Now about that watch, scared to show it to the watch guys, see if you can guess the make and used price?

(painting is of Tom Wolfe , in the Smithsonian)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    Take the shoes to a shoe store and have them dye the tan part black. Or do it yourself!

And Tom Wolfe would never wear that watch! :)

12. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Yeah, um, don't wear that watch again.

13. Alpintourer

Alpintourer F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 20, 2013
    The Low Country
    Full Name:
    Dave Steven
    I have a collection of ascots (but not spats). Picked it up on my European travels in the 80's.
    It has a tendency to shock people, but I enjoy their reactions. Always looks good with blazer especially one that is double breasted with a bullion on the pocket.

You Can Never Be Overdressed or Overeducated – Oscar Wilde

Hawkeye likes this.
  14. Barneybee

Barneybee Rookie

Jul 22, 2019
    Full Name:
    David Brown
    These are normally called Cravats in the UK, I have a selection for summer use.

15. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    What is a bullion? (The only bullion we know in Americ ais gold bullion...) Do you mean handerchef? Should it match the shirt or Ascot?

16. Alpintourer

Alpintourer F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 20, 2013
    The Low Country
    Full Name:
    Dave Steven
  17. ronfrohock

ronfrohock F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2004
    MA
    Full Name:
    Ron Frohock
  18. Alpintourer

Alpintourer F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 20, 2013
    The Low Country
    Full Name:
    Dave Steven
    Distance and duration; Hot Air Airships.

ronfrohock likes this.
  19. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    the pants are wrong. they should have two satin strips going down the sides when you wear white tie and tails. I wish this would come back .. always loved the look. also he should be wearing satin pumps with a black bow....not suede

Reacherman1022 likes this.
  20. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    I like the hat and suit and Cravat it all works. I think some suede shoes would work better... now that watch?... I agree don't wear that again. but is it a Frederique Constant? it seems too bulky... for your ensemble, I would think a nice Patek Phillipe would be the way to go - on a leather or crocodile band.... maybe a moon phase? or a Cartier Rounde ... in white gold or if you must with diamonds on a blue crocodile strap.

Do you have the book "Dressing the Man" by Alan Flusser? I highly recommend it if you are into men's fashion styles. I would say pick a style icon, and replicate that... I like Edward VIII... he had a quirky style. and Gianni Angeli ... sadly I'm not that size anymore...

21. JP365

JP365 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    John F
    I agree with a lot of the Agneli as style icon comments, but what was up with the watch over the cuff look?!

22. JP365

JP365 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    John F
  23. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
  24. JP365

JP365 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    John F
    Agreed. Same with his short end of the tie look. Although I’ve heard that was one of his inside jokes about the death threats in the 1980s.

25. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    I Know. not sure other than it was his "style" ... same with the tie tab...