I dropped a tool back there .. | FerrariChat

I dropped a tool back there ..

Discussion in '308/328' started by conan, Apr 4, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. conan

conan Formula Junior

Nov 13, 2011
    Just needed to tighten the air intake boot with a small steel pin. I dropped it, of course. It hit at least two metal surfaces until silent.

Nothing on the floor. So where is it?

Of course it has to be found ...

How do you approach this?

2. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
  3. ferrariowner

ferrariowner Formula 3

Feb 21, 2014
    Mansfield, TX
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Ferrari engineered diabolical places for things to fall and hide. Find whatever you lost before you start or drive.
    Good luck.

4. Lawrence Coppari

Lawrence Coppari Formula 3

Apr 29, 2002
    Kingsport, TN
    Full Name:
    Lawrence A. Coppari
    Once while working on my Porsche I dropped a small nut in the engine compartment. I looked and looked but could not find it but I knew where it was dropped. The engine was sealed up. Out of desperation I took a piece of spinning reel monofilament line and tied it to an identical nut and dropped it repeatedly. Eventually I heard the same bouncing noise. It has fallen into a hollow engine support. I was able to fish it out with a magnet.

waymar likes this.
  5. conan

conan Formula Junior

Nov 13, 2011
    Great advice! I will try that ... and I have a snake cam as well. Wish me luck!

Rosey likes this.
  6. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    Flashlight and a long wire or string with a magnet... really the only option.

7. maurice70

maurice70 F1 Rookie

Jan 25, 2004
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    maurice T
    This,,
    For situations like these, it’s the best invention since the wheel!!

8. Alex308qv

Alex308qv Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2016
    PA
    Full Name:
    Alex
    A flexible extendable magnetic pickup tool has been a lifesaver for things like this. Note that with the right wheel liner removed you can slide it back and forth to clear anything in the valley between the cylinder banks.

9. conan

conan Formula Junior

Nov 13, 2011
    I figured out the steel pin might follow right or left of the thermostat housing and further down against the timing covers.

I removed the wheel liner and looked in that area around the crank pulley ... and it was hiding behind.

Thanks for all tips!

Rosey, dwhite, thorn and 2 others like this.
  10. jmaienza

jmaienza Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 8, 2009
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Sometimes the control arms can catch things due to the shape of the standings.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

11. wildcat326

wildcat326 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 10, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Likely one of three places: in the valley on top of the engine block, on top of the gas tank, or in the lip/sill of the quarter panel ahead of the rear tire

12. AZDoug

AZDoug Formula 3

Jun 17, 2009
    Along the Verde , AZ
    Full Name:
    Doug
    You don't want foreign objects in with the cam belts and cogs...

I never liked those brass spacers on the four corners of the Weber carbs.

They tend to stick in the gaskets sometimes,and i always hope I never have to find one that went missing, especially down a carb throat.

I make sure I have 16 of everything, after i take the air cleaner box off.

Doug

13. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    As a last resort sometimes compressed air will help coax the object to complete it's journey to the garage floor but there are no guarantees that you won't worsen the situation. At this point it's best to treat the whole zone as a crime scene and try not to disturb anything in the process of locating the culprit. There also is the possibility that the object has gone through some sort of wormhole into a parallel universe. I mean, it's happened to me before. How about the rest of you?

14. Andy 308GTB

Andy 308GTB F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Jun 2, 2004
    Essex, UK
    Full Name:
    Andy M
    Yup - this is always a stressful process.
    I've had them fall out before, spent hours to find. So frustrating.

15. Alex308qv

Alex308qv Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2016
    PA
    Full Name:
    Alex
    #15 Alex308qv, Apr 5, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2021
    I'm actually net hardware positive on my 308. After I dropped the nuts eleventeen times reinstalling my intake plenum, my magnet retrieved every one plus a couple other abandoned nuts and washers from the valley area.

16. Lawrence Coppari

Lawrence Coppari Formula 3

Apr 29, 2002
    Kingsport, TN
    Full Name:
    Lawrence A. Coppari
    Only item I've ever lost in an automobile was a 7 mm socket behind the radio in my 1980 450SL. I spent a great deal of time searching but no luck. Since it was inside the car I even tried driving it and braking and cornering as hard as possible with the heavy vehicle but to no avail. Never heard it move. The worm hole got it.

17. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    I once disassembled a US V8 and found a Crescent wrench in the oil pan. The wrench had been in there for at least 4 years and 45k miles. DIdn't hurt the engine and the wrench was well lubricated! :)

energy88 likes this.
  18. GordonC

GordonC F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 28, 2005
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    I did the timing belts and a bunch of work on my 308 last fall, including installing the oil sump baffle. I found one abandoned nut on top of the right front engine mount, there's a few good traps in there where it bolts to the bracket on the engine, where something dropped from above won't ever make it to the ground. The lost nut is visible in this photo, but imagine with the alternator and dip stick tube in place, and it's completely invisible from anywhere:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

I also found a small 6 mm washer sitting at the bottom of the sump! It had to have fallen from the galleys on top of the cylinder head - dropped by a mechanic during a valve clearance or cam cover gasket service, who must have just crossed his fingers and hoped there wouldn't be any expensive noises when he started the engine. :rolleyes:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Saabguy likes this.