I don't get these three-wheeled "motorcycles" | Page 2 | FerrariChat

I don't get these three-wheeled "motorcycles"

Discussion in 'Motorcycles & Boats' started by Texas Forever, Jun 11, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    Not much to get...they're just snowmobiles, for the street.

sjd

2. Lotaz

Lotaz Formula 3

Nov 18, 2016
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    Scott
    My friends Mom has one. Her husband passed away and she still wanted to get out on the open road which she was always on the back of her husbands Gold Wing. Well she got one of these Can-Am Spyders and in a very short time racked up over 60k miles on it. She travels every where by her self just enjoying what she thought was lost in her life.

You all can make fun of these but for some its a way to continue with a life they once knew. When she comes out to Vegas on it from NM, it makes me smile.

Island Time, kiesan, Wade and 3 others like this.
  3. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    My wife wants one.

4. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    Due to my back and pelvis injury I cannot ride motorcycles any longer, but it will be a extremely cold day in hell before I ever hit the open road on a CanAm o_O

Texas Forever likes this.
  5. BOKelley

BOKelley Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 5, 2009
    Au'n Colorado
    Full Name:
    Brock
    As the saying goes...to each their own. Like Rob, you would not catch me on one but there are certainly those out there that for one reason or another would prefer three wheels. As long as they are enjoying the experience, good for them....(they simply don't know what they are missing ;) !!)

6. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
  7. 11506apollo

11506apollo Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2008
    Tx Co Ca
    to me all 3 wheelers have the shortcomings of any car (large footprint, cost, etc) and none of the advantages of a car (weather protection, safety, luggage space, etc)...so get a 4 wheeler (car) or a motorcycle.

8. huntermusic

huntermusic Rookie

Nov 11, 2008
    The whole purpose of a bike is to go where cars can't go. To be exposed to the elements and NOT be able to split lanes, or move to the front of a long line of traffic seems ridiculous.

9. BOKelley

BOKelley Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 5, 2009
    Au'n Colorado
    Full Name:
    Brock
    You must only ride in CA......lane splitting is frowned upon most everywhere else.... :(

10. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    OMG! Now along with the stick vs paddle shift debates were now going to have the lean vs no lean debates!!

11. adc

adc Karting

Feb 1, 2009
    There are many people that have poor balance and are intimidated by clutch, shift, rear brake and front brake of a motorcycle. Not everyone is coordinated enough to perform these skills. Keith Code just sent out an email about 100+ actions on 1 lap at Streets of Willow: clutch, shift, steering inputs, brakes and throttle position.

A CanAM Spyder has "nanny" functions: ABS, traction control and vehicle stability system. The brake is a right foot pedal with linked braking system. Most Spyders have semi-auto transmission (push to shift up or down). It appeals to a smaller segment. There are younger riders that purchase one since the parents won't let them buy a motorycle. Riders that don't feel comfortable on two wheels. Older motorcyclists that don't want to give up riding but can't hold a heavy touring bike upright. There are handicapped people that want to ride that may be missing a leg or arm.

The Spyder outsells Goldwing in North America. At one point, Spyder had bigger market share than Harley in province of Quebec.

It is not for everyone but it is closer to a motorcycle than a Slingshot (which has bucket seats side by side). I am not buying a Spyder but will ride one. Slingshot is boring to me. Yamaha Niken-I will demo one.

12. Metastable

Metastable Formula Junior

Everywhere else in North America - otherwise in most places filtering and going to the front of the line is common place pretty much everywhere else in the world.

As for the topic at hand - I don't get it either. A motorcycle is dangerous enough, those things are even more dangerous - at least on a bike you can hit small gaps if needs be.... and you are elevated higher up.... better visibility. The only 3 wheeled machine that perks my curiosity is a T-Rex. It's like a 3 wheeled drive car... essentially. at least you have some protection.... although not much.

From Wikipedia:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. teak360

teak360 F1 World Champ

Nov 3, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Scott
    this short guy figured it out:

Mine too. My dogs are too big to carry on the supermoto!

Image Unavailable, Please Login

tomc likes this.
  14. kiesan

kiesan Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 21, 2003
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Kie Robertson
    I’ve had 2 or 3 Spyders come through the door. Not for me. The not leaning part kills it. They are capable of very high cornering speed and when doing so your body wants to fly off the thing. Plus it’s built/put together like a freaking Chevy.

For the folks that like it though... more power to them. They are enjoying the ride and don’t care if most of the posters here don’t get it.

15. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Regulation killed the heap open top car. It’s like an old mg not really a performer but it provides some inexpensive thrills for those who can’t or are too afraid to do more.

In the nanny state world that’s a lot of people most of whom are not handicapped from riding a bike other than mentally

Like a roller coaster it’s a low impact low skill thrill, same with tubing behind a boat.

Somehow there’s more commitment here than driving a Ferrari with paddles to the golf club.

Such is the world in which we live

Makuono and Texas Forever like this.
  16. Falcon Wing

Falcon Wing Formula 3

Aug 4, 2010
    Colorado Springs
  17. Metastable

Metastable Formula Junior

That is more like a t-Rex. I.e. a motorcycle technically, that really is a sports car with 3 wheels. The t-Rex is very agile and quick. You sit in it and it has a low center of gravity.

18. Streetsurfer

Streetsurfer Formula Junior

Dec 16, 2015
    near Chicago
    Full Name:
    Ron