I bought a duck... | FerrariChat

I bought a duck...

Discussion in 'Motorcycles & Boats' started by bobafett, Sep 12, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    '00 Red 996 with 1782 miles. Has the grey marchinesi's. Previous owner (a detailer) bought it new, left it dead stock, never rode it. Comes with 1 yr left of some aftermarket warranty too.

Dead smitten. CSS is way too much for me at this time. Parking lot stuff really, but the first day was good. Just getting used to launching the bike, basic shifting, turning. Counter-steering was very unintuitive. I managed to drop the bike (but I bought it expecting to drop it, so I really don't give a damn). Glad it happened, actually. Kind of a relief and it made me loosen up a lot.

I am getting great instruction and lots of support from all the right folks, which is good. The second day I only got to get out for an hour or so (more parking lot stuff, I really have little interest ni riding on the street) - counter steering became WAY more intuitive. So much so that as I was instructed to roll on throttle through a turn, the more I did it (hey, look where you WANNA go!), the better it became, the more the bike just grabbed the road and went.

All said, I'm approaching it with timidity and caution. It'll pay off hopefully (as I'll be alive) - the idea being to just take my time. BUT, that said, I'm loving the feeling and I haven't even gone over 35mph. :D

Still haven't taken pictures. I'll get around to it.

--Dan

2. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Formula Junior

Feb 3, 2004
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Preston
    WOW!!!!!! A 996 for a first bike! Well, it is pure sex on wheels, fit some frame sliders to that thing and get to an MSF course or something like that as soon as you can. Those dry cluches are probably going to be a bit tricky for you as well. Practice, and keep it as safe ass possible.

I would really reccomend that you borrow someone's dirt bike or get a cheap ninja for a few months to practice on. Learning to ride on a 996 is like learning to drive in an F1 car.

3. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat

Congrats on a GREAT bike!!! We need pics!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

well done . effectively a new machine!! it remains my facorite shape of all dukes. actually the 888 is up there in the rankings too. again, a very nice machine and use it i good health.

5. Ershank

Ershank Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2004
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Jason Z
    You bought a 996 with no previous 2 wheel experience, and then drop it? I don't get it. Well I do.... but why.....

6. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

btw...please be careful in the parking lot as there is often alot of oil or even sand / gravel on the road surface!

7. frefan

frefan F1 Veteran

Apr 21, 2004
    #7 frefan, Sep 12, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  8. Sfumato

Sfumato F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Llanfairpwllgwyngyll, Anglesey, Wales
    Full Name:
    Angus Podgorney
    Holy crap. Hope U stay alive, or at least your self-restraint better than mine. They'd have to power-wash me off something. I still want a Tesi though. Or a Monster. Nice buy. Now ya need a hitch on the shark.

9. Choptop

Choptop F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2004
    Carmichael, CA
    Full Name:
    Alan Galbraith
    Do yerself a favor...

Park the Duck

go buy a Ninja 250 and ride it for a year.

The money you save in broken Duck parts and hospital bills will more than pay for the 250.

Good score on the bike... but as a first ride? hmmmm.....

10. Tifosi66

Tifosi66 Formula 3

Nov 30, 2004
    Jiang Jia Jie
    Full Name:
    Li-Ge
    Good advice.

11. redhead

redhead F1 Rookie

Dec 26, 2001
    Full Name:
    ~Red~
    shakes head.
    says, I told you so.
    Shakes head again.

Dude.
    Ride safe please.

12. yoda

yoda F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2004
    UT
    lol being the non-motorcycle type I thought you meant a 996 Porsche 911 and I was like wow that's low miles and how did a detailer be able to afford a brand new one? Too late, must get sleep...

13. stephens

stephens F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Feb 13, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Stephen S
    Nah, Ducs crash very well. Unlike inline fours, when they go down, they tend to slide intead of digging in and breaking expensive parts. Get some atermarket glass fairings, get on a track and have a ball.
    Congrats and enjoy Dan!

14. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    You sir, are MY ***KING HERO!!!!! :)

15. Artherd

Artherd F1 Veteran

Jun 19, 2002
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ben Cannon
    Rock Star!!!

Don't listen to these twerps, they're just jealous. Never be limited by your equipment I say. Even if you just putt around in the thing, the 996 is pure sex. If all else fails, put it in your living room as moving sculpture and offer to show chicks your scars you got from 'laying it down at speed'.

Get some replacement fairings, and maybe some frame guards (though the 9x6 is pretty well enclosed) so you don't write it off, and have at it.

I'm way with you on not having the desire to ride on the street too.

I just rode a friend of mine's 600cc enduro around today. Fun as all hell, and scares the absolute piss out of me.

16. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    Thanks for all the kind words.

Basic deal is this: i'm relatively smart about keeping within my limits (i wont take ap icture of the speedo at 180 until later this month...ahem), i have virtualy no intention of riding on the road (save me from busses, suvs, mothers on cell phones with screaming soccer players), and am pretty lucky with respect to who my friends are (good supportive group that is teaching me the basics from the ground up and not letting me get into trouble).

I was signed up for Keith Code's school for later this week (msf THAT) but decided there's no way im ready to take it on (even if i learn 10% of what they teach) - but it is my intention to get to the school when im ready. in the meanwhile, just back road and track-day instruction to get me comfortable and able.

That being said, i understand the comments regarding my own stupidity, and agree for the most part. But, if i'm dumb, at least i'm dumb in style! :D i'm nto really the showboat type (look at how i drive), so i dotn really care about making an impression with the bike (otherwise i'd have been all OVER that sexy tamburini-man f4-1000! :D heeeeey Uro!).

Just for kicks, I've managed to add Lee as a beneficiary to my life insurance policy. :D It was diggity Darth's idea.

--Dan

17. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    easy to say for a man who measures his di*k by how far off the ground it is. :D

--Dan

18. whart

whart F1 Veteran
    Honorary

Dec 5, 2001
    Grandview NY
    Full Name:
    Herr Prof.
    Dan- if you are a reader, Code's second Twist of the Wrist book made enormous sense to me. The 996 is a brilliant bike. If there is anything I can impart from my mishap, it is full armor, all the time. Also, once you develop some basic skill, you are able to relax a bit, and that means you can really be in touch with the bike in a way that stiff, tentative riding won't allow. At early stages the learning curve is enormous, but can also be gratifying. Make sure you are well rested and not rushed each time. Enjoy!

19. DesmoDog

DesmoDog Karting

Jan 2, 2005
    Dexter, MI USA
    Full Name:
    Craig Kenfield
    Big props on buying a 996 but damn, I'm not sure if I should laugh or cry at some of your comments.

You thought you could take a riding course, on a track, on a superbike, with virtually no riding experience? Seriously? Hmm... Realize that even experienced riders are encouaged to take courses like that on smaller bikes to start out with. If you are serious about learning how to ride, you'll learn faster on a smaller bike. (He says, having started out on a 900cc Ducati himself...) IN any case, until the basics of riding are second nature (shifting, where the brake is, etc) you won't learn much of anything at a track course.

It sounds like you have some good people helping you out, which is great. Pay attention to them. And I'm not sure what the "msf THAT" comment was about... the MSF course is a great thing, a MUCH better idea than the route you're taking.

I don't mean to discourage you or say it can't be done. But reading your comments I have to wonder if you really know what you're getting into... A 996 isn't a great bike at low speeds. I'd go so far to say they pretty much suck at low speeds. If you didn't get above 35mph on your first day out then even more compliments to you because 35mph on a stock 996 isn't easy. I find about 40mph as being the cut off for smooth running in first gear!

Good luck in your adventure...

20. 2000YELLOW360

2000YELLOW360 F1 World Champ

Jun 5, 2001
    Full Name:
    Art
    #20 2000YELLOW360, Sep 13, 2005
  21. frefan

frefan F1 Veteran

Apr 21, 2004
    u wus. I'm still in. But of course you can still stay. M

22. Sfumato

Sfumato F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Llanfairpwllgwyngyll, Anglesey, Wales
    Full Name:
    Angus Podgorney
    #22 Sfumato, Sep 13, 2005
    Kewl. Don't forget to put one of the sharks in the will too...Pozzi will do. :D
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

23. Artherd

Artherd F1 Veteran

Jun 19, 2002
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ben Cannon
    Three inches I'm telling you!!! Oh wait, off the grou, erm, yes, three inches. That's my story & I'm sticking to it.

Of course Dan dosen't know what he's getting into! That's part of the fun! :)

24. redhead

redhead F1 Rookie

Dec 26, 2001
    Full Name:
    ~Red~
    #24 redhead, Sep 13, 2005
  25. Hubert

Hubert F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2002
    The Left Coast
    #25 Hubert, Sep 13, 2005
    Congrats Dan

Don't run frame sliders, they' bash your frame and bend it and if the catch on on something, they'll rip right out of your frame and send your bike tumbling end over end.

The 996 is awesome, you might consider converting from dual injectors to single injectors; it makes the bike's power delivery really smooth around town without a lot of tuning. (I've got an extra chip laying around if you're interested.)

The 996 really makes no sense on the street, on the track it all come together - I had mine a week and promptly took it to CA speedway (I've since bought race bodywork)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login