I am leaving the 348/355 brotherhood… | FerrariChat

I am leaving the 348/355 brotherhood…

Discussion in '348/355' started by johan6504, Sep 30, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. johan6504

johan6504 Formula 3

Jun 28, 2005
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Johan
    Just wanted to say goodbye and tell you that I am going to miss you all. I have been an active reader, and from time to time contributor to this forum. For those of you who know me you know that I have been a two time owner of a Ferrari 355 GTS F1. The first was lost in an accident some 5 years ago and the last in a similar accident in end of September this year. To me the ownership has been a relatively easy with none of the typical problems that you sometimes find on the 355. No F1 gearbox problem, no clutch change, no broken headers, no valve jobs, just fun and many, many happy hours on the race track :)

Sadly though I have come to the conclusion that I can no longer drive a 355 with the F1 gear box. In the endless discussions that we have had on this forum have always been an advocate for the F1 system, but for me it ends here...

As a last contribution to this group I would like to share my thoughts of a problem I have never read about before. My first accident happened on a cold but dry day when I was going to move the car to new garage. I was driving down a straight road, accelerating and shifting into 2:nd when I lost all traction. The car spun and I ended up in the ditch upside down. The car was totaled and I was so chocked that I was unable to remember what exactly happened. I have been going through the accident in my mind many times without really understanding the root cause.

So last week it happened again. Driving down a straight road, nice day, road is dry and I shift from 1:st to 2:nd and BAM, the car turns around in no time and I hit the road barrier. This time the speed was lower but the car was again totaled. My wife who was in the car behind told me that the speed was about 50-60 Km/h and she couldn’t believe how this could happen.

To me however it is no longer so hard to understand what is happening. When shifting from 1:st to 2:nd the harsh shifting in sport mode makes the tires break loose and when you don’t have a clutch and no ASR you pretty much become a passenger. Lifting the foot from the gas doesn’t really help, since you are still in gear. I don’t consider myself being a reckless driver or an inexperienced one and I have now come to the conclusion that I no longer feel safe driving the 355 F1. On the track I feel totally safe but in daily traffic I can just not predict the amount of force and grip that the car has.

It is with great sadness I now plan on moving over to the modern world of Ferrari ownership… My next Ferrari will probably be a 430, not a bad car but far from the nimble and pretty 355 that I have come to love so much over the years.

If this will end up in another debate about the F1 V.S. manual, I can tell you that I will never go back to a manual. I am stuck in F1 mode and love the thrill going down the straight of a race track feeling like a real F1 driver :)

Forza Ferrari
    /Johan

P.S.
    Look me up in the 360/430 forum if you have time. I am now planning on reading and knowing “everything” about the 430 ;-)

2. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Wow, I am glad to hear you are ok Johan!! :eek::eek:

Wish you all the best with the 430 when you get it. :D:D

But make sure you stop in here every once in a while to say hello eh? ;);)

Take care mate. :D:D

3. eric355

eric355 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2005
    Toulouse (France)
    Full Name:
    Eric DECOUX
    Johan, it made me sad reading what happened again to you. I am glad you are fully OK.
    I am sure you will enjoy the 430, a different beast with so much torque ... compared to the 355.
    Please, do not select the CST off position outside the track ...
    Take care!

4. johan6504

johan6504 Formula 3

Jun 28, 2005
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Johan
    #4 johan6504, Sep 30, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2010
    Hi Eric and PAP
    I will remember to keep the manetino on the safe side of CST-off. And i will probably come by the 348/355 forum once in while. It has become such a deep habit that I will probably not go away...

5. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Sorry to hear about your accident. :(

Hope you enjoy the 430 when you get one. :)

All the best,
    Andrew.

6. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Best of luck Johan with the 430, and happy that you are ok.

7. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Good on ya mate, stay safe now! :):)

8. X11OUD

X11OUD Formula Junior

Mar 22, 2008
    Manchester, England
    Full Name:
    Neil
    Johan, sorry to hear of your second incident, thankful though that you were not injured. Unfortunate that you are walking away from the 355's but try to enjoy your 430 all the same ;)

9. bcwawright

bcwawright F1 Veteran

Jul 8, 2006
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    Hi Johan

Sorry to hear about your accident...glad you are OK.

You spent so much time on that car sorting out the best suspension....enjoyed your post.

Take care and have loads of fun in purchasing and driving the 430.

10. Night life

Night life F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2007
    The city that rhymes with fun in Canada
    Full Name:
    Roberto
    Wow strange story I wonder if there are others out there like yours.

430 don't they all come with similar transmissions???? not to sure

11. johan6504

johan6504 Formula 3

Jun 28, 2005
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Johan
    Thats what I wonder too.
    Yes the 430 comes with F1, and thats what I want but i has a stability system...

12. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Yep, F1 but the 430 HAS traction control. :D:D

;);)

13. fxdwgs

fxdwgs Formula 3

Aug 22, 2006
    Sjobo, Sweden
    Full Name:
    Bengt
    Kul om vi kunde träffas nästa Autoropa dag på Knutstorp....

....till then......bye bye.......

Bengt

14. johan6504

johan6504 Formula 3

Jun 28, 2005
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Johan
    I'll try to be there :)

15. ztunelover

ztunelover Formula Junior

Oct 1, 2009
    Calgary, AB
    Full Name:
    Krish
    The 348 has traction control too... it just varies between each car and its operator. So some work really good. Others not so much.

16. PAP 348

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Lol, you're right. :D:D

I should have been more specific and said the 430 has 'electronic' traction control. :eek::eek:

17. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    LOL! :D

*high five, Krish*

All the best,
    Andrew.

18. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Johan,
    A couple questions:

1) You mentioned the speed, but what were the revs? High rpm?

2) Were the tires sufficiently warmed up, or were you just starting out?

Dave

19. UConn Husky

UConn Husky F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2006
    CT
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Wow sorry to hear Johan! Maybe next time I'm in Sweden I'll get a ride in the 430 ;)

The F1 does have a quick shift in sport mode, on dry pavement I can break the tires free on the 1-2 shift and the 2-3 shift :) I could picture with the cold weather in Sweden having less traction (cold tires) there could be more risk. Of course keep in mind the 430 has alot more torque ;)

20. MarkJ

MarkJ Formula Junior

Sep 10, 2006
    NW Arkansas
    Full Name:
    Mark Jones
    You may be the only person to have totaled two 355s.

21. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    380 hp and 2 totalled 355s. And now you want a 500hp 430? The 430 may be user friendly, but it can still bite.

Hmmm... I have driven a number of F1 355s for students at the track and the street and I can't imagine how you managed to lose control at 60kph. I don't know your background, but it may not be the car. Good luck with the 430 and have fun and be safe.

22. johan6504

johan6504 Formula 3

Jun 28, 2005
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Johan
    I guess I had about 6000 rpm at the time of shift and I had been driving for about 10 min. But in the cold weather we had that day I dont think the tires had changed temp at all.

23. johan6504

johan6504 Formula 3

Jun 28, 2005
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Johan
    Not something anyone would be proud of :-(

24. johan6504

johan6504 Formula 3

Jun 28, 2005
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Johan
    I wouldn't say that the actual speed had much to do with it. It is the state you are in while shifting (1:st to 2:nd) at high rpm. The foot planted on the gas pedal and if the tires brake loose you dont have a chance to react quickly enough. Maybe if I were used to left-foot-brake I would have had a chance to brake.

I am 45 years old and feel quite experienced as a driver. I have spent many, many hours on race tracks over the last 20 years. Both in Ferraris and in other cars. I am without doubt responsible for the crash. But I think the F1 system in the 355 makes it possible to end up in a situation that wouldn't happen in a manual car or a F1 car with ESP...

25. Rheinlaender

Rheinlaender Rookie

Aug 25, 2010
    Glad to hear you're fine!